“Stop searching for good Mexican, this is it!!!”

Red Mesa Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 969 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Of Mexican origin, fused with flavors and favorites from Latin American & Caribbean kitchens. From street food to alta cocina, a St. Pete landmark, known all over for inspired dining at its best, garnering numerous awards and kudos and most proud of our personal service.
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I LOVE Mexican and Tex-Mex food. Like LOVE IT!!! I feel that more often than not most Mexican restaurants cover their sub par food in equally sub par sauces or gallons of cheese to hide the food. I mean does anyone really like all that fake white Velveeta that coagulates the second it hits your table?!?!?

Red Mesa changes it all! I was pleased to see that their menu had most of the Mexican staples you expect to see (tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc.) but some of them had a twist.

I personally think the burritos are the big test of a good Mexican restaurant. I think many restaurants put in just a few of the good things, meat, veggies, guacamole, but then STUFF them with refried beans, not Red Mesa!!!

I had the shrimp burrito and it did not disappoint! I was a little concerned when it first came out bc it was covered in sauce. I'm glad to say I worried for nothing! The sauce was a delicious chipotle sauce that was out of this world! The burrito had shrimp, cheese, black beans, guacamole and the appropriate veggies. It was, HANDS DOWN, the best burrito I've EVER had! Had I not been trying to be polite I would have licked the plate!

I have already made 2 lunch dates with friends there simply bc I want to try everything on the menu. Also, the chips and salsa were fabulous! The service was also great and they had a nice kids menu.

I think I will go there for dinner tonight, YUM!!!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Because I'm not a fan of Mexican or Spanish food, I was hesitant to eat at Red Mesa. However, a friend of mine suggested we eat there. Wow, was I surprised!

The food, including the chips and salsa, was quite delicious -- my ginger salmon had lots of wonderful flavor without being too spicy. The service was very attentive without being intrusive.

I'll definitely go back.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The "Double Gordo" was good & filling but was over salted. The outdoor dining was very pleasant. The staff was informed & friendly.Please cut down on the salt.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've never been a fan of gourmet Mexican food. This place is a little too pretentious for its own good. I had the fish tacos for lunch and they were tiny, average and over priced. The time before I had an enchilada and it wasn't much of an improvement. There are too many authentic and really good Mexican restaurants around to make Red Mesa a serious consideration.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I've eaten there several times and was never disappointed. I love the hot chips and salsa, their sangria is delicious, and meals are very good...all this coming from someone who ordinarily doesn't like that cuisine. But I recommend it highly.