“The Hollander Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Louisville, Kentucky
“The Hollander Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Quaint Old Brick bldg. Very accommadating staff.Great rates. Nice bar, (21 Taps) excellant food, moderately priced.Shuttle to tranport you to museums, marina, Saturday Farmers' Mkt., although walkable.No in-room phone, so bring cell phone. Clean everywhere I looked.3 flrs., elevater,Additional parking being added during my stay.(Dec.4-10th,2013)

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Mobile, al
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I haven't checked out yet, but the hotel was a pleasant surprise. Everyone is friendly and goes the extra mile to greet the guests. I was up at 5:30 and since everyone else in my party was was sleeping, I came down to the lobby to read. The coffee isn't usually put out until 6am, but the guy in the lobby made a special batch for me.

The restaurant/coffee house seems to be a pretty hip place with the locals. Last night, it was a happening place. It appears that you don't have to leave the property to go to a bar or restaurant, but if you do, downtown isn't far away.

Know what to expect. This is not a brand new luxury hotel. This is an remodeled, older property with lots of charm. Just as with an older house, there are certain things that weren't standard when the place was built. The double queen suite is quite large and has a full fridge. We have stayed at the Vinoy before, but wanted to try something new. The Vinoy hotel has a larger lobby and more amenities, but you will pay for them. This Hollander has standard internet (Vinoy charges $10/day) and breakfast is included on weekdays (not included in larger hotels). There is also no charge for parking at the Hollander. I think this will work just fine for us and I would come back.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Coffee shop it's great .. love Jeremy. .. The best coffee... karma coffee and for it's ny neighborhood place to be. Comfortable and local the service is fabulous. Come and have a cup. The sets are to die for. Tell the Dharma said so..

• Stayed December 2013
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

When we go to St. Pete to see the Red Sox lose--so sad, but when we go they always lose--we stay at the Hollander. Love this place. It has good energy and a great bar where Sox fans can drown their sorrows and Rays fans can gloat, but in a nice way. Excellent food, service, and entertainment as well. This IS the spirit of St. Pete: vibrant, a little funky, warm, welcoming, and fun. By the way, rooms with two queen beds are available if you call the hotel directly. My daughter and I are sharing a suite later this week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank msabsinthe
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

The most important thing to me is (at least a semblance) of cleanliness, and I think housekeeping lets this hotel down.

I'm just returning home from training in St. Petersburg, and a 5 night stay at the Hollander. I picked the hotel because of TA reviews, but I should have read the reviews more carefully to understand what the raves are about. Yes, the lobby and porch are interesting and social, and the hotel front desk is full of hospitable and nice people. (I didn't eat in the Tap Room, so I can't speak to it.) But, for me, those things aren't so important; being able to go back to my room after a full day of training and chill is. The hair on the towels was what bothered me the most; they were on every towel I used. I wasn't thrilled about the hairs I found on the bed sheets, on the sink, in the bath, in the fridge either, but after complaining about the towels twice, I just tried to suck it up. Plus, after housekeeping failed to make up my room on the second day, I was transferred to a bigger room, so I could see how solicitous the hotel staff was being, and I just didn't have the energy to continuously complain.

So, hospitable employees (really very nice and welcoming), and cheap rates (really cheap), but not what I expect in terms of cleanliness.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Victoria J
Nick H, General Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank You for your input, I do appreciate all comments.
I will follow up with housekeeping.

Nick Herring
Bradenton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Hollander Hotel is one of those very rare "SPECIAL" hotels that will exceed your expectations. The hotel is beautifully decorated. Even though it has 100 rooms the lobby area is designed to make it feel like a much smaller boutique property. Cleanliness is outstanding. Everyone at the desk is wonderful, the staffing in the restaurant/bar is outstanding and even the woman who drove us downtown in the cute little golf cart shuttle was outstanding. Breakfast on Sunday, Dec. 8 was great. Even the stairwell was the nicest and cleanest.
Our only gripe was the guest room. Although it was very clean and freshly painted the furnishings were cheaply made. Not enough wall plugs, not enough towels even for 2 people and the water pressure was extremely low. The shower/tub had many chips in it too.
Grades are as follows on a scale of 1-10 (10 is best):
Front desk: 10
Restaurant and bar staff: 10
Other staff: 10
overall cleanliness: 10
Guess Room cleanliness: 10
Guest Room Amenities: 6
Guest Room Furniture & Fixtures: 6

Room Tip: Ask for better water pressure and away from elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mark B
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have just returned from a Christmas family reunion weekend. My mother had told me that we weren't staying on the beach, so I did not know what to expect from this hotel! Let me take this opportunity to tell you what to expect. In no particular order, comfortable rooms, great atmosphere, friendly hospitality, amazing food, and competitive prices. My family will be returning! Enough said!

Room Tip: The lobby is very upbeat so be aware if your room is close!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles