“Pride Weekend”

Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Pride Weekend”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This Hotel is top shelf. From the Service Desk to the Restaurant to the rooms. Their house keeping staff is impeccable. Beds are clean and crisp with awesome down pillows, and wall mounted HD televisions. They put on the BEST brunch in town. I highly recommend this hotel from Families, Singles, Couples, and Honeymooners. Nick Herring and your staff thank you for making our stay top priority.
Mike Poplawski
Punta Gorda, Fl 33983

Room Tip: rooms on the south side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our first visit to St. Petersburg to watch a ball game. So happy we found this little gem. Loved the decor and friendly atmosphere. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Room was great, we would definitely stay here again.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We live in downtown St. Petersburg and while moving from one place to another, we needed a room. We hadn't planned ahead and it was a Friday. Ouch. The "I Love Downtown St. Petersburg" Facebook page posted a special about the Hollander offering locals special rates. Without much hope, we showed up, hats in hand as local 'Burgers, and asked if there was room at the inn. Will, one of the owners, greeted us with a friendly smile and said, "For locals, always!" He gave us a GREAT price for a Friday night ($79! - with the Yankees in town) and an awesome room.

The lobby, bar, and expansive veranda has a great bohemian vibe and had live music going all night at the bar. The hotel's decor celebrates old Florida, Hollywood, and St. Petersburg with historic photos of celebrities and local landmarks.

The room itself was very comfortable and set up with all the regular amenities -- including free wifi. The bathroom was tidy. A bit small compared to modern-built hotels, but extremely clean and functional.

When I need an extra room for guests, I will call on the Hollander. It's locally-owned, historic, renovated, and a great alternative to mega-conglomerate chain-tels. Definitely worth a try.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JayBurger
Indialantic
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Hollander and felt welcomed by every member of the staff from desk clerks to shuttle driver to parking attendant. The hotel also has the feel of a European Hotel. It was very refreshing.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hollander Hotel when in St Pete. I chose this hotel based mainly on the 1) recommendations given on TripAdvisor by other guests and 2) by the photos of the hotel/lobby/rooms displayed on said site.

If you are looking for a Marriot/Hampton/ Holiday Inn/etc. type of experience, stop reading and book one of those. This is NOT that style of hotel.

The Hollander tends to be an older building and, as such, is not as insulated/soundproofed as a built-from-the-ground-up-to-specification chain hotel. There is a quaint style and charm about this place but there are a few cons as well. We will address both the pros and cons in detail.

The Lobby/Staff

When you pull up to the Hollander the first thing you might notice is the inviting couches and chairs scattered along the outside porch, guests may hang out there (and often do) enjoying a drink and conversation. Upon entering the lobby, you immediately get the feeling that you’re in someone’s comfortable, eclectic, living room, except for the fact that there is a bar off to your right hand side. The décor is a delightful mix of posters, mirrors, pictures, statues, and miscellaneous-bric-a-brac.

The staff is a delight. They will answer any questions you may have, and I believe go out of their way if asked to help with an issue. Check in is fast and easy, and especially so if you have made reservations beforehand. They will give you a sheet of paper to display in your car window for parking purposes.

Also, as mentioned, there is a bar in the lobby. There is also a quasi-restaurant combined with the bar that serves a relatively comprehensive menu- including a small breakfast-bar on Sat and Sunday (add’l cost). They even have the “made-to-order” omelet guy cooking up some tasty omelets. The hotel hosts some light entertainment on weekends and the lobby comes alive with people eating, drinking, and hanging out. It is a busy place with a festive atmosphere. Maybe a good after-hours destination of its own if you want a comfortable local vibe.

Adjacent to the bar/restaurant but as its own stand-alone business is a coffee shop which opens at 8am on weekends (not sure about weekdays). This is a BIG positive if you like a cup of coffee or espresso in the morning. One of the draws for me, as I knew I didn’t have to hunt down a coffee house for my cup of Joe early in the morning.

The Room

I’m sure each room has its own experience. Ours was on the second floor probably right above the entrance or close to it. My understanding is that the rooms have all been remodeled and that would seem to be the case here. It was modestly appointed, but also had a microwave and small “kitchen type” area within the bedroom space –kind of like an unpretentious studio apt. The bathroom is small and functional. It also has a closet for hanging clothes as well as a small dresser/chest of drawers. The room was quite adequate for our needs.

Now for the cons of the room; honestly, there could be more attention to detail when cleaning the room. We noticed dusty (noticeably dusty without having to look for it) baseboards. The sink area had something splashed up on the back wall and picture above it. The tile in the bathroom bore the marks of painters and construction work done without much thought to cleanup (paint, extra grout, scuffs). Also, the sink was pretty small and the mirror was mounted too far above the sink for a 5’ tall person to effectively use it. The sink also seemed to be separating from the wall as indicated by the gap in the caulking. A big issue was that the bathroom window was located IN the shower and it wasn’t an opaque window, rather, it was the type you can clearly see out of-and into. Did I mention that it was located IN the shower? We slid down the top and put a towel in it to cover it while taking a shower.

Let me add at this point that the Hollander is on 4th Ave. Now I-375 runs out into 4th Ave. The Hollander is located about 3 blocks after the freeway runs out so traffic can be both plentiful and noisy if you have a street-facing room -which we did. A caveat to those who are light sleepers. You will hear police sirens outside your window at night, oh yes, you will.

Additionally, remember the lively, “festive atmosphere” down in the lobby/bar I spoke about earlier? Also, remember I mentioned that this is an older building, not a built-from-the-ground-up chain hotel? Well, this may come into play if you are on the first or second of the three floors in this building. The entertainment stops somewhere around 10pm or so, but you can definitely hear it in your room if you are over the lobby/bar area. Plus, you have people talking with one another on the porch and saying hello or goodbye to their friends after 10. Just a caution. My advice: Stay 3rd floor only. Away from the street.

Parking-parking-parking

Yes, let’s talk about the parking. Really, I should say “What parking?” The Hollander’s official parking lot is Spartan to say the least, room for maybe 20 cars max. If you are not at the hotel by a decent hour (5? 6pm?), you may find yourself in the overflow parking around the side of the building or worse yet, somewhere across the street or down the block. I believe that the entertainment may have something to do with it but I am not 100% sure. Either way, you have been warned; park early or you may be walking back to the hotel from down the block. Don’t say no one told you.

I didn’t stay in the bar area for the entertainment so I can’t comment on it. The little I did hear and see when down in the lobby for something or other during the festivities made me feel like I was in a local pub with a regular crowd, not too long and I’m sure I would have started to make friends there.

Oh yes, not 100% sure on this but I believe the Hollander is pet friendly as well. Saw a couple of dogs on leashes in the building on both the 1st and 2nd floors. Didn’t seem to be an issue with anyone.

I’m giving this hotel 4 stars. Why? Because I’m not rating it like I would a major chain hotel. If I saw at one of those places the things I saw at the Hollander they would get 2 stars. Why again? Because this is an independent Boutique hotel run by what I believe are good people trying to make it a successful, profitable venue. My advice? (This is where the staff needs to read carefully) More attention to detail, cleaning in the rooms, fix the little things; we’re in the U.S. -not a third-world country.

Bottom line: If you’re not bothered by small, out-of-place things nor need absolute perfection you may enjoy a stay here. It’s a nice place. If you need the very best, go elsewhere. I’ll be back though.

Room Tip: 3rd floor!
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Efficient and on target. Friendly staff, willing to go beyond expectations. Great atmosphere through out, offering a relaxed yet entertaining experience. Clean and comfortable rooms. Complimentary wi-fi and spot on location!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Coastalpa
Crawfordsville, Indiana
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at this quaint hotel while in the St Pete area visiting our son. I chose the hotel after reading such positive remarks on Trip Advisor and I couldn't have been happier. The staff are all really nice. The rooms were nicely decorated and very clean. I have read "tripprider's" comments and agree completely! This is where I will choose to stay every time we visit our son in St Pete!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family