“Tough to judge this place....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hollander Hotel

Hollander Hotel
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Privacyville
“Tough to judge this place....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is the first review that I've posted on TripAdvisor that I've been conflicted about. The hotel was not up to my very stringent standards... but the people who run this place are absolutely amazing.

I'm a corporate traveler... I normally stay exclusively in Hyatt flagged hotels. This is not a Hyatt type hotel and I did my best to try and set my own expectations to that so I wouldnt spend any time comparing it to the Hyatt.

My partner and I needed to come down to St. Pete to tend to some business at Bayfront Medical Center. There weren't any other hotels in the area with availability and this hotel was highly rated here, so we booked. I read some of the past reviews and given that I like a room with some space, I chose the King Suite.

Paved parking is very limited in this area. We ended up in their overflow dirt lot (that due to a huge thunderstorm was now a mud pit) next door. The building is cute and old. Check in was painless and the gentleman (George?) who checked us in was very warm and friendly. During check in, I ran to use the restroom while we got our luggage together. The restroom downstairs was clean but ungodly hot. There's no A/C in the restroom downstairs and the temperature in there was easily 90+ degrees.

Our room was on the second floor... luckily they had an elevator (well, half an elevator) which took us to the second floor. We wondered the halls a bit to find our room. The room was spacious and was about what I expected. A bit of a cross between a hotel and motel. They did have a flat screen TV which a decent channel line up. The bathroom was a bit dirty and like a few other reviewers, we too found hair in our towels. The bathroom was in need of a good deep cleaning.

The A/C worked very well, which is great because the hallways are not air conditioned and are very hot too.

Beds are subjective. Some people will love them, some people will hate them. I will confirm there was a bed and we slept on it.

There was no phone in the room (which I found odd and will likely be a liability issue for the hotel somewhere down the road...) but there was wifi. It was pretty spotty (although they deploy Ubiquity access points which are high quality wireless gear) and slow so we ended up surfing using our mifi devices instead.

The night was very noisy.... on the 2nd floor you can hear everything your neighbor is doing, both inside and outside of the hotel.

We got thirsty... when I went to call the front desk and realized there was no phone (I was calling to ask about vending machines or where I could get some bottled water) so I ran down the stairs to the front desk. George was busy talking with some guests in the restaurant but came over as soon as he saw me waiting. He was happy to provide me with a few bottles of water at no charge.

When we checked out, I was tired and cranky. I didn't sleep well the night before (unrelated to the hotel) and just wanted to get over to Bayfront. The gentleman who checked us out was very friendly and warm and wished us well.

This isn't my type of hotel. I like the chains better because I've become accustomed to a certain quality / standard of hotel. With that said, at $100 night, this was a great deal and because the people there are so damn friendly, we'll likely stay again the next time we're in town.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, head to the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ItsGermy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel was awesome. We loved the décor and the staff was so friendly. Always willing to help and take care of your needs. The rooms are dated but this maintains the historic integrity of the building. Within a 10 to 15 min drive of the beaches and downtown. We will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My Husband and I had a business trip in St. Petersburg for only one night, so we decided to try something with a little more "atmosphere". We were not disappointed! When we walked into the lobby, we immediately felt like we were transported into the 1920's. The lobby was very invitingly busy and I could not wait to get settled so I could come down and enjoy the atmosphere. Check in was accomplished with the utmost courtesy, competence and speed. I loved the wood floors and the carpet strip in the middle of the hallways, so my rolling suitcase did not seem so loud.
Our 3rd floor room was charming, with a flat screen TV, wood floors, and a super comfy queen bed. The room had a nice, clean smell upon entry, which is always a plus, and, the air conditioning controls were up to date and working beautifully. We were right above the delightfully busy Tap House, but I heard not a peep, so I knew that I would sleep well, no matter what. Later on, after an enjoyable interlude downstairs in the Tap House, (to be reviewed later) we had no trouble going to sleep in the super comfortable bed. There were so many things to do within walking distance from this hotel! And if you don't want to walk, they have a transport service for you! Want to catch a Ray's game? Have a few beers while there? No problem! They will transport you to and from the Trop! I do plan to stay here again

Room Tip: Third floor is where it's at!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This felt like a B&B with a fun tavern on the first floor. My daughter and I enjoyed the sitting areas and were always greeted by delightful staff! Perfect location for our needs. Very accommodating when we decided to stay an extra night. Be sure to ask for their personal favorites for dining & shopping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This boutique hotel in downtown St. Petersburg has a lot of potential. It's in a pretty decent location, and they've gone to a lot of trouble to make the lobby area really charming. The room was a good size, and it has a kitchenette. However, the kitchen was less than stocked for travelers. There were three pans but no pots. There was one mug. There just wasn't enough stuff in it to make it work for a guest. The burners on the stove also did not fit it properly, and so they were not flat. I'm not sure a pot or pan would've sat on them without sliding off.

There was free wifi throughout the hotel, which was great. The bed was not very comfortable. It was very firm and with no pillow top. The pillows were too fluffy so that your head sank completely into them instead of resting on top.

The staff were very nice, and it was great to have a bar/restaurant in the lobby. It was almost always very lively down there. Also, there is a spa right next door (Rande James Spa) where you can get a great massage.

If you don't mind the quirkiness, it's a nice little hotel. But it's not boutique the way Hotel Indigo is boutique.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank earthnutvt
Wappingers Falls, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

4 of us spent 2 nights at the Hollander the begining of August and were very happy! Good food and great bar service! Nice sitting areas with chairs and couches inside and out on the front porch, and when a wedding took over the bar area there was a nice sitting area on the second floor to relax in quiet with our drinks. Very friendly staff and clean rooms. They have a shuttle (a stretch golf cart) that will take you and from the Rays games, which was better than walking in the Flordia heat! Overall great hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed/booked this hotel due to recommendations here.

I think it's ok if you are on a budget but we found the service not so great! There was a confusion at check in and they had obviously given our room to another person with a similar name!!! They kept asking if my name was Edward and I am obviously not a man (really)!!!

Hairs in the bathroom (black and curly) and they were on the towels too!!!!

Also no safe in room and noisy air con!!!

• Stayed August 2013