“Just a short cab ride to The Trop”
Review of Hollander Hotel

Hollander Hotel
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Wapakoneta, Ohio
“Just a short cab ride to The Trop”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights recently while in town to watch Rays. Very nice and large room with very attentive and hospitable staff. I believe they advertise a mile from Tropicana Field but I can assure you it is farther than that.Cab ride quick and only $10 with tip as unfortunately trolley service was down when we were there.Excellent restaurant with a very limited weekday continental breakfast. Parking right there on site. If we had been staying longer there was a stove, refrigerator, and microwave in room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hollander for 2 nights to celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary. Very pleasantly surprised how well the property was maintained. Nice clean room, comfortable bed, small bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, TV and, parking what more could we ask for. About 4 blocks from Central Ave and downtown area - so we walked everywhere which was a real plus.

The hotel had a bar/restaurant which was a very popular place for both guests and the locals alike. Friendly helpful staff. Highly recommended, We will definitely be back later in the year.

Room Tip: I would recommend the 3rd floor as we could hear people walking about a few times.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick H, General Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We Thank you so much for staying with us, We really enjoyed having you.
We look forward to seeing you and your Husband again very soon.

sincerely, Nick
Colorado
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spend quite a bit of time in St Petersburg and when the Hollander turned up as #1, I had to check it out. Even my many friends in St Petersburg had now heard of it. It is on the corner of 4th and 4th and so easy to get to and from the hotel to the waterfront. In fact they have a free little trolley, more like a golf cart limo that goes on demand. Wendy the driver was very knowledgeable. My reservation was already printed out by the cheery Angelique who turned out to not only be efficient but I saw her later arming the broom and cleaning. This seems to be a passion at the hotel as I saw a bunch of people making the hotel squeaky clean. The room was small but all that is required as you are not going to spend much time there given the fun sites in St Pete's. Great people, great place, great price. Even though the room was small and the hotel was not on the waterfront, the value and quality of people makes it a 5* in my view.

Room Tip: It is on the corner of what might be two busy roads. However the room I had, 103, was very quiet an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dshuber
windermere, fl
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just returned from three nights at this hotel. We've stayed at many chains over the years, but now we look to stay in places with a little more personality and this is a gem.The rooms are simple as noted by others, but ours was spotless and the bed was very comfortable! Each floor has a large sitting area with couches, tables and TV to spread out in if you need more room to work. Check out the stairs- the landings are very big, with lovely wood floors, cozy chairs to sit and read in, and big windows.The outside porch is also very large with lots of big couches and it was nice to curl up in the evening with a glass of wine from the friendly tap house to recount our days in the museums- Dali, Chihuly and the Fine Art museum are all very close. Beach Street is on the bay and there are many galleries, restaurants and clubs to enjoy in the evening. Again, they were only five blocks away and the views are beautiful all along there. We went to the beach one day and enjoyed driving up the gulf stopping in Madeira Beach, St. John's Pass and down to Pass a Grill Beach. The closest- Madeira was 15 minutes away. The hotel was renovated in Nov. and the decor is upbeat, warm, and cheerful! The Tap room/ Restaurant is adjacent to the lobby and it was very popular with locals. The food and drinks were reasonable and very good. We were there for $3.00 beer night and the crowd was a happy mix of young and not so young. It was noisy early in the evening, but by 8:30 the crowd had thinned considerably so there was no problem sleeping at night. We got coffee in the coffee shop( which is also within the hotel) and it was great coffee as someone else noted. The room rate was $70.00 per night and a bargain. We recommend this to anyone visiting the city. We will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor if you are worried about noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joanlWindermere_Fl
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights and were delighted by the sensible menu, food quality, prompt service and reasonable prices. The room was clean but a little small; however, the veranda, pub area and coffee shop were active and usually occupied by guests and visitors. Good idea to have $3 beer Tuesday; place was packed. Attentive staff.
Left my newly published murder/mystery book (The Remainderman) to hotel as additional reading for guest in lobby/sitting area.

Room Tip: call desk directly
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ray b
Orange, CT
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, but I can only rate the hotel three stars. Why? Although the wi-fi connection worked fine, there was no easy place to put my laptop. The room was rather small (it does say that it's European-style), and the bathroom was tiny, with no place to hang clothes. On the plus side, the hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the Tap Room Restaurant in the front lobby provided me with a very nice "to go" dinner, which I enjoyed in my room. However, to do so, I had to clear off the one small table provided to have a place to eat, and I had to disrupt the layout of my room to accommodate my suitcase and laptop. The location is very convenient, right in downtown, near Tropicana Field, the beaches, Dali Museum, etc. Parking is at a premium: I had no problems, but if the hotel were full, I could see where using the overflow lot would be a little challenging. Would I stay here again? I'd give it considerable thought. Maybe yes, maybe no.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kevin H
Nick H, General Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments, We appreciate all feed back. Our hotel was built in 1933
and is a boutique hotel. We have many styles and sizes of rooms to suit everyone's needs,
If and when you decide to visit us again, I would recommend the King suite for your needs.

Sincerely, Nick
new jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Hollander is a rather small hotel. The rooms are a bit dated. BUT it is welcoming, clean and friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The air conditioning (essential) is strong and efficient with ceiling fans to distribute. The beds are comfortable. The rates won't kill you. All the staff are genuinely friendly. There is a great bar on the main floor. Better than all the major changes in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business