“Colorful and Friendly, but with Issues”
Review of Hollander Hotel

Hollander Hotel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The location of this hotel was perfect for the job we came to do. The proprietors have obviously worked very hard (and are still working) to make a success of the business. The lobby, bar, restaurant, and coffee shop downstairs were beautiful. The employees we encountered were very friendly and helpful and eager to please.
That said, there were a few issues with the room. Most of them were minor, but one troubled us deeply. The rooms are very small and the walls thin. The last night or two, the sound of the people in the room above us made sleeping difficult. No tissues in the room, no wastebasket in the bathroom, no hair dryer (one was provided when we asked, but didn't work very well). Parking was often difficult, especially on weekends. The grassy area is usually fine, except that, of course, it was muddy after a rain, and when it was crowded it was difficult to navigate through the haphazardly parked cars. We were almost completely parked in the morning we had to leave to catch our flight home.
Our major problem was that on the second night we discovered that half of my husband's prescription medication was missing. We told the manager, who was very concerned and was going to investigate and get back to us about the matter. We never heard back from him. The rest of our visit was a little uncomfortable, since after that we no longer felt that our belongings were safe in the room when we went out.

1  Thank psteup
Nick H, Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

We always welcome all comments and concerns, We are a completely renovated Hotel
open for 3 months, We always consider our hotel guests as Guests in our home, any concerns for security are always taken very seriously. We have cameras throughout the hotel. and any comments are always welcome. We always have our housekeepers in teams of two to avoid any
incidents that could arise.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel was everything people wrote. It was nice and quaint, quiet, and fantastic! I found this hotel on a hotel search trying to find something that wasn't a typical chain hotel for just a night stay for a birthday getaway. The hotel was adorable with it's old feel. Thank you Hollander Hotel for a great night stay. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We Thank you so much, Look forward to seeing you again..

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night since our vacation rental was only ready the next day. I had read the positive reviews so I figured we couldn't go wrong. We were not disappointed. Very cute and quaint hotel with a lovely bar, coffee shop and great veranda - also live music. The staff is very friendly. We checked in around 9 p.m. and immediately went down to the bar to order food. Suzie the waitress was very friendly. Had the pizza (Marguerita, I think) and it was very good. The next morning we went to the coffee bar and had great coffee and muffin. Brigitte sure knows her coffee. We were told that this place had been closed for 10 years and just reopened 2 yrs. ago - very nice boutique hotel (which we usually prefer from chain hotels). The only down side is the size of the rooms but if we had stayed longer, we would have asked for a larger suite which I think they have but not sure. Will def return.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

After searching - without luck - for a place to stay at the usual spots in St. Petersburg for one night, found this place on the net. Lucky us, they had one room left. Comfy, cozy, clean and really nice staff. Will stay here whenever we are in St. Pete which occurs on a regular basis. Minor disappointments, no hair dryer, only 1 washcloth were addressed quickly. TheTap room seemed really neat. Unfortunately , depending on one's perspective, it was too crowded to get served one of their craft ales so we had to go eleswhere. Next time!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel and restaurant staff are top notch! Don't stay here if you want an anonymous, bland hotel experience. The proprietors, front desk staff, and bar staff will remember you, greet you each time you make eye contact, and are always asking if there is anything they can do for you. Similarly loving attention has been paid to all the other details too, from the hand-painted ceiling in the Tap Room, to the eclectic-but-chic lobby decor and fireplace, to the fun decor and seating on the stairway landings, to the gleaming polish of the hardwood floors. The rooms are comfortable and livable, with similar careful touches - fridge, openable windows, plenty of plug-ins, cool bathtub, plenty of chairs and closet space (although not the walk-in closet that the website promises). The Tap House restaurant in the lobby is always hopping, and the clientele is a real blend of ages, locals doing "destination dining," out-of-towner hotel guests, families, singles, and couples of all sorts. Despite the live music at the bar, the rooms are plenty quiet with the windows closed (open windows = traffic noise). Without realizing, I tried to check in early (I'd been traveling since 3 am, so it felt like mid-afternoon to me). One of the proprietors at the front desk went to "check to see if the room was ready." When he returned 15 minutes later to report that it was, I realized that he had been preparing the room so that I could check in. Wow - what service! Downsides: there is not (yet) a functional workout room, and the housekeeping staff don't seem to know that towels on the floor means "I want a clean one, please." Nonetheless, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat - these guys are great and the room was exactly what I wanted. If only I had a third hand, I could say "three thumbs up!"

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I read many reviews on this relatively new boutique hotel. They were all very accurate. At less than half the rate of most of the chain hotels in downtown St. Pete, I was willing to roll the dice. This place was an eclectic gem. We stayed for 5 nights. The biggest plus was the restaurant, bar and coffee shop. The rooms are older, smaller and not amazing. However the rooms are clean, bright with most amenities and charming wood floors. The bar kills it, with an amazing rotating beer selection, knowledgeable barkeeps, and reasonable prices. They have live music many nights. The food is great. The coffee shop is great as well. I think they have a small spa, but I never used it. Parking is a little tight. You can easily walk to all of downtown St. Pete. I always felt safe in this part of town. Oh, they also have an amazing covered porch area that we frequented day and night. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Bar gets a lil noisy higher floors better
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute as my first choice, the beach area, was booked. I'm so glad things worked out the way they did....The hotel rooms, as stated, are small, but they are very comforfortable and very well lit with natural light. Great windows! and they open, which is a big deal to me.

The hotel staff is very personable, and the coffee shop brews great coffee. The bar/restaurant area is nicely open to the lobby, and the whole ground floor has a great flow and a great feel from the moment you check in.

The best part of the hotel, to me, was the veranda running the entire length of the front of the hotel. They have couches, chairs, conventional tables, and it has both the feel of being an extension of the lobby/bar/coffee shop, as well as a separate space unto itself. You can relax out there, drink coffee, read, and feel that your privacy is respected, or you can engage in conversation with the other guests and visitors that migrate to that space. Your choice.

Regarding the beaches; it was a 10-15 minute drive to get to Treasure Island down Central Avenue, and from there it was north or south on Gulf to whatever beach you'd like.

I am looking forward to a return trip to the Hollander, and another relaxing stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo