“A bit dull”

St. Petersburg, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“A bit dull”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

It rather depends if you are into tropical flora If you are. then its well worth a visit. If not then pehaps, give it a miss

• Polish first
St. Paul, MN
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Lovely gardens”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

It was a nice little stroll through beautiful gardens. My favorite part were all the geckos running around and the animals throughout.

Lutz FL
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I've lived here long enough to remember when the tv news channels would always interview someone from Sunken Gardens when a freeze was eminent. Now it's the strawberry fields forever. Thanks again to Groupon-we made our first trip since we moved here 40 years ago. It is amazing. I do think there are more trees named Employee Only than trees or plants with signage and I'm hoping the Gardens soon fixes that. I might want to plant some of them in my FL garden. It's not as if the plants or trees move very often! The bougainvillea is amazing--there is character of depth of living in those plants.
Take a picnic-stay awhile.. There are picnic tables or spread a blanket for the kids to play on in the Bridal Garden. Whatever you do--check that hurried walk at the entrance and Take Your Time. Thanks St Pete for taking over this dear attraction and bringing it back to life. Now bring on the signage-or portable audio players! While I hate to see advertising-now might be the time for a St Pete sign company to donate their expertise! Great place for photographers!
Right across the street is Panera Bread and Outback-both open for lunch. Perfect!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank TravelTampaHgl
St. Petersburg, Florida
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Stepping back in time”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Sunken Gardens is a fascinating look at the way folks used to spend their time in Florida pre-A.C., pre-Disney, pre-mall. I remember walking through an abundance of greenery with my grandparents, looking in awe at plant leaves bigger than our 1960 TV. There's a huge variety of tropical plants but labeling and information could be greatly improved. Without grandpa telling me what I was seeing, I was at a loss to understand what I was looking at. The trails made no sense and I had no idea if I was looking at the Florida common weed or a tropical wonder.

Visited November 2011
Tampa, Florida
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A beautiful way to spend some time in St. Pete”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We visited the Sunken Gardens with our 9 yo daughter soley because we have passes to the Tampa science museum and were able to get in free during the month of April. We've lived in the Tampa area for 9 years and have never been able to see what Sunken Gardens was all about...we were pleasantly surprised!

The gardens are very well maintained and the layout is just gorgeous. Our daughter enjoyed talking with the parrots, finding frogs in the Flamingo area (look on the lilly pads), and trying to guess what was coming around the next corner was fun. For the adults the garden was beautiful. We loved seeing some more exotic kinds of flowers and plants that we didn't know grew in the area. The paths were easy to navigate and you are in and out of shade so it didn't get overly hot. This is a great place for any gardener at heart - it is an amazing oasis tucked in to a city and was certainly much more than we expected!

For parents wanting a chance to see gardens and do something fun with kids this is a great stop. The gardens are entertaining themselves but there is also a nice children's museum in the same complex so you can walk the gardens early and then go inside and play and explore.

2 Thank jubeefish