“This is the place to stay in St. Pete”

Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I was recently on a last minute excursion to Florida. I was not sure which city I was going to stay in, much less which hotel. I drove into St. Pete from Tampa and was taken by the charming and somewhat vibrant downtown area near the Bay. I drove around for quite a while checking out hotels. I've always had great experiences with Hampton Inns, and the location was perfect (a block from the water front and walking distance to many bars and restaurants). I had a great weekend here. The hotel was quiet, clean, had a nice pool, and great staff. My only gripe is that valet parking is the only option--the price is reasonable, I guess, but it is a little annoying to have to depend on someone else to retrieve your car. This seems to be the norm in downtown St. Pete though so you just have to deal with it.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank drmgeorge

Reviewed April 7, 2009

I just stayed one night on April 1 while on business. The hotel is on Beach Drive, however nowhere near a beach. There are a lot of pretty nice shops and restaurants in the area though. You have to valet your car for $12 per night. That is pretty reasonable for valet, however after spending $200 for the night, knowing that would have made me go elsewhere. The hotel lobby is modern, however my room was just ok. The couch had several stains on it. The lighting was burned out in the bathroom making it quite dark. I was just not impressed. The hotel did have some good features, however for $200 a night, it needs to be better than it is. I would not recommend staying here

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Stayed here on a business trip when the large convention hotel down the street ran out of no smoking rooms, and glad I did. Property is new, entirely non-smoking, rooms are spacious and quiet, definitely the best Hampton Inn I've stayed at. Excellent breakfast selection--served till 10 a.m. weekdays, which was a plus, since I'd gotten in late the night before and wanted to sleep in. Staff in breakfast area and at front desk were friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Very clean. Staff were all very nice! Valet parking service was great!! Breakfast was nice, not just coffee and muffins, a full breakfast. Pool was nice and warm.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Beach Drive in downtown St. Petersburg on June 30 to July 2. We live in the Daytona Beach area and were in St. Petersburg to attend a baseball game and Bush Gardens. We decided on the Hampton Inn based on TA reviews. This Hampton Inn was more than acceptable. Check-in and check-out were super easy. The beds were clean and very comfortable. It is a very quiet, peaceful hotel. There was no commotion or noise in the hallways or adjacent rooms, and if there was we couldn't hear it. Our 5 and 7-year-old boys were with us. They were very comfortable and enjoyed the hotel. The pool on the second floor was nicely-maintained and fun. There are movies to rent free of charge at the front desk (every room has a DVD player). The hotel rooms have a dorm size refrigerator and a microwave. You could easily pack a lot of drinks and snacks, even dinner, into this fridge if you were so inclined. There is an ironing board, iron, hair dryer, and coffee maker in every room.

The breakfast area is very nice and has just about everything a person could want for breakfast. It was quite good and the area was nicely maintained.

The downtown area is beautiful. There is no shortage of interesting shops and restaurants. We didn't shop or explore the downtown, except for The Pier which is in easy walking distance. BayWalk and the rest of downtown St. Pete seemed very nice and we would have loved to explore and shop if we had more time.

The shuttle to the baseball game was in easy walking distance. We were on our way, sort of lost , two streets away and looking for the shuttle. Suddenly the shuttle appeared and stopped for us and asked, "going to the ball game?" We felt very lucky and hopped on.

Valet parking at the hotel was convenient and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for our vehicle. It was a very nice stay and I would stay here again. We paid 169 per night for two beds via the hotel website.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Our daughter married on a floating chapel in St. Pete in March. We had guest from many states, including Alaska. Mgr John was exceptionally accomodating when we booked, gave good price on block of rooms, and kept in contact before and after via email and phone.

Spring break but it was quiet and food was just OK.
A guest said VIP suite dark (?) but she was moved.
Rooms and suites clean.
Use the valet parking $10 is not much for the ambiance.

Only complaint we had was OUT suite wasn't ready by 3pm even though we had special arrangements leaving me to dress on the boat and Father of Bride 20 minutes to dress to get to boat for 4pm wedding.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2008

The Hampton Inn Downtown had all great reviews on TripAdvisor, as well as every other site I checked. I can only join in and reiterate everything everyone has said. GREAT location, steps away from the water and the many lovely parks for sitting and walking, great dining, art galleries and museums. Excellent customer service and genuinely friendly and helpful staff. The room as spacious, including a microwave and small fridge. Our balcony was most pleasant to have a place to sit outside while chilling in the room. The free breakfast was ample and varied, including the daily 2 hot entrees. Always a fresh fruit salad and whole oranges, which were a great snack for later. Coffee is available all day. If you're staying in downtown St Petersburg, this is a most excellent choice.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple