“The Walls truly do have ears”

Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and enjoyed everything that Hampton Inn has to offer - the good breakfast choice/quality, excellent beds (always a good nights sleep, on this occasion when we could ignore the noise), decent sized room, absolutely outstanding service from pretty much every member of staff we encountered particularly everyone at the front desk. The staff working here really are a credit to the hotel.

The location on Beach Drive is fantastic, walking distance to bars/restaurants/shops/waterfront etc.

Great pool deck on the 2nd floor with cabanas

Issues
* Walls. Hampton Inns are my preferred hotel when traveling and conscious of costs, i think they're great and usually fantastic value for money. I have never had a reason to complain about the many locations i stayed, however OMG the walls in our room were so thin - we could hear the toilet seat when it was put down, we could hear the constant ringing of the person's cell phone and then their conversations. At first we thought someone was in our bathroom, the sound was that clear !!! I asked for another room but was told (very politely i must add) that the hotel was sold out for the night.

* Fitness Center - i went to use it on a Sunday morning only to find the water dispenser was empty as was the disinfectant wipe container and there was no "bin" to dispose of used towels. I used the phone in the center to advise them of the lack of water, but an hour later still nothing.

* Value for Money - i paid $203 for one night, tax included for a standard double room. This was a high rate for a standard room and was using a discount code, i didn't have a private balcony which some rooms did.
The only parking option available was valet parking at $15 - again very high.

Would i stay here again, maybe - the location and the (majority of the) staff were great, however the thinness of the walls and the high room rate really would make me think twice.

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the elevator
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Andrew H, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and at the same time apologize for the noise issues you encountered. I assure you this is not common of our hotel, but sometimes we have guests who tend to be less courteous. I will make sure all of our associates are familiar with the procedures for dealing with noise issues, and hopefully cut down on situations like these in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,125)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We travel fairly frequently,and the Hampton Inn and Suites in St. Petersburg is by far the best place we have ever stayed. Accommodations, amenities, location and staff were all just wonderful! And we are not related to anyone involved in this operation!!!

• Stayed: February 2014

I appreciate all the kind words about our hotel and staff! Your review is spot on in my opinion. The staff and location are two of the best things about our hotel and make it quite the gem in the city. I'm happy to know you enjoyed your experience with us, and hope we have the privilege of having you as out guest in the future.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Once again the Hampton Inn chain delivers exactly what I expect. Remarkable consistency. The room was very clean, the location perfect in downtown St. Pete, and the staff very helpful with pointing out nearby sights and recommending good restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bsjones

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with us! Also, thank you for the kind words, especially the ones mentioning our staff. It is hard to explain it through words on a website how amazing they really are, but great reviews like yours sure do give others a good idea of the quality of service we provide. Thanks again!!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I would completely 100% recommend someone to stay at the St. Pete Hampton. The location is great, the service of the check-in desk, and valet was wonderful - they were friendly and ever so helpful! The rooms were extremely clean and I also loved the continental breakfast- what a great selection!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

'm very happy to hear that our location worked out so well for you. It's hard to get an idea about how good our location is if you've never been to the city before. That's why I love seeing reviews like this on here, because our website can tell you about our location. However, seeing reviews from other travelers is nice because you can really get a good idea of what to expect. Also, I wanted to thank you for the compliments about our staff. Every member of our team gives 110% everyday, and its always nice to see that reflected on our guests reviews. I hope you had a safe trip home!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

From the moment I met with the young lady at the front desk, Brittany, I was handled as if I were the most important member of society. Even though I had to make adjustments, there were no problems that she couldn't handle.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for the feedback. We strive for the best customer service and an unexpected attention to detail which I believe makes us the quality hotel that we are. I hope we have the chance to have you as our guest again in the future!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night while we were attending a concert in downtown St Pete. Check in was quick and we got a corner room which was very large and had a view toward the bay. The only parking option is valet but it was quick and easy. The managers cocktail hour which is three hours was very nice and the breakfast also had a great selection. I would love to stay at this hotel for business. It is within walking distance to a ton of restaurants and bars. I would happily return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

I appreciate the kind words and for letting everyone know your choice for a hotel in St. Petersburg. I would just like to say, our hotel is my favorite Hampton Inn as well. Granted, I'm a little biased, I think its the best deal in the city. First class staff, great rooms with comfy beds, a great location, and all for a price lower than the competition make us something special. Hopefully we get to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

As I started planning our trip to see the father of surrealism, eat some great food and bask in the warmth of the Florida sun, finding a hotel became a challenge. First, this time of year is very busy due to the snowbirds, with money to burn, coming south from Minneapolis, Newark and Buffalo to enjoy spring baseball and great weather. People from that part of the country are a demanding lot and tend to play a significant role in the cultural clash between know it all "Yankees" and people who just don't get in much of a hurry. One guest in the lobby of our hotel could not understand why the parking valet did not automatically take his one bag to his room. Kind of pushy and kind of a pain. As Georgia native Lewis Grizzard, the author of such classics as "Elvis is Dead and I'm Not Feelin' Too Good Myself" said - "We don't mind you eating our food or dating our women, we just don't wanna to know how you do it in Cleveland". Second, while Saint Pete is a beautiful small city, complete with repurposed buildings of many vintages, many green spaces and parks and numerous great restaurants, it's selection of hotels leaves a bit to be desired. My original plan was to stay in the renovated Vinoy, a Mediterranean Revival hotel originally built in 1925 and completely renovated in the 1990's for the princely sum of $93 million. It is now a Marriott property. However, when I went to check for reservations, I was stunned at the price of $369 per night. As a true vagabond and lover of small hotels, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a room at a Marriott. So, I kept looking and found a much more reasonable room at - close your ears - the Downtown Hampton Inn. That's right, this blogger of all things great and small in hotels - this loather of chains - actually stayed in the Hampton Inn on Beach Boulevard in little ole Saint Pete. Before you say shame on me, consider this - the Hampton is Trip Advisor's No. 1 rated hotel in Saint Pete. In addition, it is in a great location with 40-50 restaurants within easy walking distance and, with 92 rooms, it has all the things you expect in a high quality, small hotel. A decent, well outfitted lobby greets guests. Our room boasted a nice subtle interior color scheme, an ample sitting area with a small couch and easy chair, a small in-room bar with sink and fridge, a great bed and a balcony to enjoy the weather. The staff was excellent and the price was not earth shattering. One exception - chain food is chain food. We just couldn't bring ourselves to chow down on the corporate microwaved munchies at breakfast. The Nomad Architect

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at Hampton Inn & Suites. I’m glad that you had a positive experience while staying with us and that you had the opportunity to visit the Dali while in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back!