“Not your typical Hampton Inn - great deal”

Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Venice, Florida
“Not your typical Hampton Inn - great deal”
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I travel frequently and typically, Hampton's can be on the lower end of the Hilton chain. However, not this one. Room was very big and tastefully decorated. We had a balcony room which was nice to have the outdoor option. The lobby sundry was very convenient and the hotel is in walking distance to everything downtown. The bed was sooo comfy wanted to stay another night.

Don't waste your money on the Vinoy, save a few bucks stay here and enjoy a good meal with the change.

• Liked — Value for the price, bedding, balcony, proximity to all downtown
  • Disliked — Parts of the hotel do overlook some construction but assume that will change over time
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Hpychk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I really liked this hotel for its location in downtown St. Petersburg. Three of us headed over from Orlando to attend the Red Sox baseball game. Tropicana Field is about a mile (maybe slightly more) due west of the hotel. We opted to walk instead of taking the free shuttle which boarded a couple of blocks away according to the bellhop but didn't run until an hour before the game. We were upgraded to a balcony suite even though we had reserved a regular suite. The room had a king size bed with a very soft comforter. The mattress was a little too firm for me, but I am not complaining about that. The television had about 60 channels and was good. There was a sofa bed which the 21 year old in the group slept on. My back would not have been happy on it. There was a nice chair with an ottoman and a work tray was also provided. There was a DVD player, but we did not use it. The bathroom had a good size tub, and many extras were provided (creams, shampoos, conditioners, etc.) We were on the second floor in Room #220. It was quiet, and I didn't hear any outside noise. The ice machine was 20 feet one way and the elevator just a bit further the other way. The was a 24 hour excercise room which looked well equiped with a television, but I didn't use it even though it probably would have been a good idea. There was an outdoor pool, and a few people were sunning, but again, I was mainly there for a baseball game. The breakfast was good with good strong coffee (as well as weak normal coffee), tea, juices, milks, doughnuts and other breads. The hot buffet included biscuits and sausage gravy and fried eggs. The sausage gravy was better than Cracker Barrel's but not as good as Bob Evans'. If you're there for a baseball game, stop by Ferg's (on Central Avenue 100 yards fron the stadium) before the game. A pitcher of beer is $7 there where as 12 ounces in $7 at the game. They also had good burgers, Cuban sandwiches, and barbecue pulled pork sandwices. I didn't try any of the appetizers, but they had many types of chicken wings. It's also in the Delta Dining guide so you can earn some SkyMiles if you're in the dining progam. The Hampton Inn also gives Delta SkyMiles if you've included that with your reservation. NOW!!!--the one negative. Valet parking costs $10 a day. You can park on the streets if you wish, but you have to make sure you're in an area that allows for overnight parking plus it's on the streets. They should include parking with the price. I wouldn't even give the valet a tip where as I would have if the price had been built in. In my opinion, the $10 included the tip and their inconvenience. They even post a sign in the room to call 30 minutes in advance to retrieve your car. I didn't notice the sign until I went down to get the car, but they got my car in less than 3 minutes so there was not an issue. It's a great place to stay if you have to be in downtown St. Pete especially if you're going to a baseball game. I will consider staying there next year if I continue my tradition of seeing the Red Sox play when they visit Tampa Bay! Go Sox!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — overpriced Valet parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Kilkenny
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We arrived in st Petersburg on friday of Memorial day weekend I saw the sign for Hampton inn and went straight there as any hamption inn I have stayed in has been great. When we book in they up graded us to a suit at no extra charge. Our room was great bed as always in a hampton so so comfortable. Nice pool. and gym room. Handy laundry room and free internet acess in the reception was really great. Breakfast was nice. Great location for food shopping and a few drinks. Would deffinatly stay again. Staff very helpful printing ot maps for us also.

• Liked — comfortable bed and location
  • Disliked — cost for parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
MD
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Hampton Inn and Suites downtown Saint Petersburg, FL is a very nice hotel. If you give it a fancy lobby, it can be easily labeled full service Hilton!! There is only valet parking for $10 a day. The breakfast area with nice tables, chairs, and couches is adjacent to the reception. There is also a small convenience store. Interior corridors. Our room was on the 3 floor with a nice view of the park. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the water and the Pier. Tons of the restaurants and shops are right across the street. Bay walk is right next door. The room was nice size with 2 queens, a desk with chair, and arm chair and ottoman. There is also a nice size fridge and a microwave. Breakfast is included in your stay and is very nice. Some hot items like eggs, waffles, bagel toppers; cheese, bagels, breads, pastries, cereals, oatmeal, fruits, coffee, tea, juices, etc are available every morning. BTW, fruits and coffee/tea are available 24 hours a day in this area. Just stop by and grab a snack. The pool is small, but good enough for this size of this hotel. We enjoyed the pool with no one else there!!! Very clean and friendly hotel!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MariLand
Bradenton, FL
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We stayed here for three nights during the St. Pertersburg Grand Prix. On past visits to downtown St. Pete, I have always stayed at the Vinoy, but the race fans in the family convinced me to try the Hampton, since it was closer to the action. We couldn't have made a better choice - this is not your typical Hampton Inn! The staff was excellent - the clerk at the front-desk was extremely apologetic that our room wasn't ready when we arrived (not that we expected it to be, since we got there 3 hours before the check-in time!!), and upgraded us to a room with a balcony. The room was very clean, above average in size and ours had a large refrigerator and microwave. The beds were comfortable (they appeared to have been recently upgraded with down comforters and feather pillows) and the race fans were ecstatic because the balcony over-looked a portion of the track (if you are not a race fan, don't worry, once the race weekend is over, the track is dismantled and you have a lovely view of a park instead). The hotel was within easy walking distance of pretty much everything - grocery/drug stores, numerous restaurants (both casual and fine dining), nightlife, a day spa, shops and the Baywalk entertainment complex. Breakfast was included and offered a hot entree in addition to the usual continental offerings - coffee and tea were available 24-hours in the lobby. Although there is not a restuarant or lounge in the hotel proper, the Ceviche restaurant and bar are located just a few steps from the hotel entrance. There is also a small grocery store that shares the first floor of the building with the hotel (entrance is outside), selling beer, wine, gourmet snacks and bakery/lunch items to go.

I still love the luxury of the Vinoy, but have to admit that by the end of the long weekend, I was completely won over by the charm and location of this lovely hotel. We are already planning a girl's get-away weekend here for next month!!!

• Liked — Location, staff, convenience
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank FLnative43
Orange County, CA
Reviewed March 21, 2007

We stayed here for a week during the holidays. The staff was incredibly nice. Everyone there was so friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is tastefully decorated and is within walking distance to restaurants and shops.

A continental breakfast is included.

My only complaint is that there is no self parking. There is only valet service so it adds to the price of the room with the tipping required.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Valet parking only
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
orlando
Reviewed February 6, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a work conference which was paid for by work. However the hotel required a personal credit card upon check in. They have since put charges on my account which I did not authorize and refuse to remove them. I am now dealing with disputing the charges through my credit card company. I have never had such poor customer service in my life. For such a large corporation, they have done nothing to compensate me and not only will I not be staying here again but I would not reccommend this hotel. Beware of giving them your credit card information!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business