“Glad it is in Historic Kenwood”
Review of Cappy's Pizzeria

Cappy's Pizzeria
Ranked #130 of 927 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you love pizza you will be glad this place is in your neighborhood. They are not open late, but then many places close around the same time. It is a little out of the main restaurant area of the Grand Central District, but certainly worth finding. Make it a destination. The pizza is really good, and that is what it's all about. Worth a try.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were having dinner last week at Nori Thai (St. Pete Beach), our favorite Thai restaurant in the area and in casual conversation with some folks at the table next to us it was recommended we try Cappy's for really good pizza. They are located in a great old historical building near downtown St. Pete and is quite eclectic in its decor, inside and out -- something we really enjoyed.
My wife and I ordered the "Cappy's" Deep Dish pizza and a Greek Salad (the large is enough for 4 people). While waiting for them to bake a deep dish pie, our waitress brought out the greek salad, and quite honestly it was simply the best we've ever eaten. When our large pizza arrived (also enough for 4 people) we had to take a few minutes to figure out exactly how it was made. To keep their crust crisp, their pies are built in reverse order first with cheese on the crust, then the toppings, and then the very thick and chunky sauce on top. I can honestly say it was not like any deep dish pizza we've ever eaten, but then again we are not from Chicago, so what do we know, right?
Anyway by the time we made our way through the first slice and into the second, we got into it more and more, and must admit it was an interesting experience and quite good. (I still think their Greek Salad outshined this particular Chicago syle of pizza for us.) My wife has suggested we go back again and order the New York style pizza next time for a true comparison to see which one we like best. That sounds like a plan to me.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Having grown up in NY, I have an affection for thin crust Pizza. Cappy's is a hidden jewel tucked away in the Kenwood section of St. Pete, but on busy First Ave. N. It has limited hours but the service is good, the salads cold and crisp, and the pizza excellent. There are many draft and bottled beers served in frozen mugs. Toppings are numerous, and we have ended up eating there one or twice a month. The crust is not too thin, but very crisp and cooked in a really hot oven. There is just the right amount of cheese, sauce, and toppings, and oil. It is by far the best Pizza around here. Although not a deep dish fan, I have sampled that as well and it's pretty good. I didn't give it five stars only because the interior is a bit dark and loud, but during the cool months, if you don't mind the traffic, sit outside.

1  Thank phmokda
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My quest to find good pizza in Saint Petersburg has finally ended at Cappy's Pizzeria. The restaurant's is located in the historic Kenwood district. It's decor is pictures and advertisements from the past on the inside of the restaurant and you can eat outside if you like. It was very clean and our service was good. Their menus are printed on old albums and they had trival pursuit cards on the table which helped pass the time.

We got the cheese bread and New York Style pizza. Both were baked to perfection: plenty of cheese, generous portions of meat, a good thick sauce, and a thin crust. I saw the table next to us get the Chicago style and I will be back to get it. That and a cold beer made the meal memorable. I highly recommend this restaurant if you want a good pizza.

1  Thank Kornellius
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Great deep dish pizza, nothing in the burg compares... I love the self serve beer cooler too, great atmosphere