“Distinctive”

Ponce De Leon Hotel
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Distinctive”
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

This is our second stay. Very happy to be here. European feeling; not your big fat American cookie-cut hotel. Quaint, comfy, well thought-out, great location and Ceviche Tapas Bar & Restaurant is exquisite! Rays won to boot!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Catboom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I don't want to rip this place to pieces, because it isnt terrible. Withthat said, I would put it on par with a college residence hall. Small, uncomfortable, poor ac, broken and tiny tv. Bed is a little more comfortable than a air mattress, but barely.

Nice night lady at desk.

Crazy screaming next door lady at 3am was semi-amusing.

Hoped for quaint and romantic... Got small and boring.

Will not stay here again unless the price drops to around $50.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Hotel looks really cool and unique on the pictures but once you get there its actually kind of crappy. First you are greeted by the front desk staff who are not friendly or welcoming. My husband and I got a room with a full bed which had only 2 very thin hard pillows. The bathroom door had a huge tear in the wood. I am not really a picky person and I think if whoever owns this hotel would fire the front desk staff gets some friendly smiling faces in there,take a little pride in the rooms, upgrade the pillows and old tvs. Hotel is in a great location and could be a really neat place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This was a bad experience all around. I ask about parking for the night and the clerk told me after 6 PM you could park anywhere for free. Well that sounded good...then I checked in. As we reached our small room that didn't impress me in any way we put down our suitcase and off to dinner. After we returned and I decided to shower I was faced with the smallest bathroom possible. Had to set my shaving cream on toilet because could not find any other place around sink. Oh, I also found the bathroom door wouldn't close. (Swollen wood) After the shower and as we turned back the covers of the bed we found just a sheet with no mattress pad and pillows with no pillow covers on the ticking. Said "oh well" and settled down to watch our 15" tv. (which was appropriate considering the size of the room), Had trouble hearing it for the loudness of the AC unit.

Finally off to sleep and awaken to quickly leave the hotel. As I arrived at my car I found a wonderful gift on the window shield...a $25 parking ticket! No one had told me until I returned to the hotel that only Central Street was the only place you could free park. I felt duped and the clerk was nice enough and recommended I call the manager later in the day. When I did my reply was short and to the point, "You should have seen the sign on the parking meter." Oh, there was no sign on the place I parked because I guess that was not free parking. Who would of thought. Oh well, you can see I am frustrated and really shouldn't be. I will be contacting the owner as soon as possible to lodge this complaint. My advice. Stay away!

Room Tip: Look our for 409!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have to say that I was not entirely surprised by my experience at this hotel. We stayed here due to a lovely hotel nearby was booked. Fortunately, we only had to stay one night before moving to the other place. One night was CLEARLY enough. We arrived at 5 pm and the front desk agent was struggling to find a clean room for us. Seeing as this was way past check in time, it shouldn't have been a problem. For our inconvenience, he stated that he gave us an upgraded suite for the trouble. We thanked him and went to our room. Wow! This is an upgrade?? To be honest, I hate taking the time to write all of this, seeing as we will never return, but I feel impelled since I use TripAdvisor always before booking a place. This is an Art Deco themed hotel which fails miserably. It COULD have been really cool, but our first impression of the room was that it was simply thrown together without very much thought. Hodgepodge at best. The first thing we noticed is the nasty stains on the ceiling. How gross. The wood floors were dirty and scuffed. The night stand consisted of a telephone. No clock OR lamp. When it is time to go to sleep, one must get out of bed, turn off lamp on desk and then return to bed in the dark. Hard to do if you want to sink into a good book before drifting off.

The television is 10 feet across the room on a wall that does NOT face the bed. Therefore, if you want to watch TV in bed, you must lay on your side. Forget watching if you there are two of you in bed. The toilet quit working on the very first flush which forced me to take off of the lid of the tank and reattach the chain. Oh ew!

Lastly and most important. Before we went out for the evening we opened a window to let some fresh air in and to air out the stuffiness of the room. Upon returning back later in the evening we noticed that the window was closed. Hum...The following morning upon check out, I asked the front desk agent (who was in shorts and T-shirt) if they offered a turn down service in the evening and he said "no." As I proceeded to tell him that someone had been in our room the night before he responded with "oh, that was me. I had to reset the cable and I needed to go into your room to check the TV....Don't worry, I didn't touch anything..." Well, I expressed to him that I found that unsettling. If in fact, the staff had to enter the room, they should have at the very least, left a note explaining this. There was no "privacy" card left to hang on the door, so we trusted that our things would be there when we returned. I will NEVER return to this hotel. It is creepy and gross.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is in a perfect location but is far from perfect. The lobby is fantastic but every other floor looks like a fun house from a horror movie. Room was booked as a 2 double bed room. The "2nd" bed was a Murphy bed that unfolded from the wall. Rooms are inadequate and small. TV was a 15 inch tube TV and only received several stations. When I asked the front desk they stated that "they insist" that the room is 2 double beds and the purpose of the Murphy bed is to make more space. I informed them this is unacceptable and that the pictures on the website show a completely different room. They apologized and gave me another room. This room had 2 real beds but was no better. I would recommend to stay at either the Hampton next door or the Hilton that is 2 blocks away.

• Stayed May 2012
Leavenworth, Kansas
Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you are looking for a hotel with the finer amenities this is not the hotel for you. The hotel is older and has a very rustic look and feel about it. From the hardwood floor in the room to the furniture all show signs of aging. The room was clean but just old. The bed was very firm and not very comfortable. The television was a 16" (yes 16") flat screen that gets very poor reception to the point you receive only about 5 channels clearly. The channel selection is very limited and doesn't contain channels like ESPN. The lighting in the hallways and elevator were very poor and the elevator stopped for no reason twice on me during the week long stay. I wasn't stuck in the elevator but I had to reselect the floor I was going to and it started back up. It is also very, very slow. Overall, if you are wanting one night in a historic, rustic looking hotel to sleep in while you party in St. Petersburg then this might be the place as the location is excellent. If you want a hotel to relax while you or a family are on vacation go somewhere else. The staff was just average, the check-in help was nice and friendly while the other staff had moments of rudeness. I think the hotel is trying to improve this but there is some resistance. There is no storage for your luggage should you request it. Or I should say it depends on who you ask. The two employees argued over this right in front of me with one saying they could store it while I was at work and the other said they had no storage. It reminded me of a classic comedy act the way they went back and forth. I chose to take my luggage with me to the office that day.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business