“Location sold us”

Ponce De Leon Hotel
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I chose this hotel for the location and price. I thought that the reviews depicted the rooms accurately. It is an old historic hotel so we were pretty sure what to expect. It is strategically located downtown and we could walk everywhere. The front desk people were a little aloof (not really into customer service) but for us it was ok. Our room was a little short on ammenities (no cups,coffee and the ice bucket was not cleaned from the previous occupant).
My husband went out for coffee in the morning and asked for directions. The front desk person was pretty vague about were to go and then locked my husband out. Overall though I would stay there again if location is important

Room Tip: Our corner room on the fourth floor was spacious with a great view
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed here during the Honda Grand Prix. The race was literally right outside our room and I assume that it is the same way with any big event downtown. So if you're looking for a nice quiet hotel away from it all this is not it. We loved it though. The decor is very charming similar to many small hotels in France and the local art hung around adds a special touch. For a place in the center of downtown town the price I'd good too.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed at this place and arrived to find they rented my room I had reserved. They were unprofessional and rude, not one ounce of customer service. We waited 4 hours for them to kick the owners son out of a room so they could rent it to us. It was a busy friday night and they were booked as were other hotels, or I would/should have gone elsewhere. The room was uncomfortable at best...the bathrooms were dirty and obvious that it wasn't cleaned when they kicked the son out and gave it to us. The shower and toilet area were tiny, the shower water ran like raindrops, it was impossible to shower. The left side of the euro platform bed was broken, so I slept having to fight from rolling off onto the floor. It was noisy and not private, you could hear everything going on outside the door, the walls were paper thin. We were promised a discounted rate because of the confusion with the room not being ready, but they actually charged me more than double in two separate charges on my card, one not authorized by me. I am fighting that now with a charge back. The owner responded to the charge back that I paid for 2 rooms, which was a lie. The whole thing became so crazy and unprofessional that they were yelling at ME in front of customers in the lobby, the manager yelled at me and walked out saying he was "crazy and needed to leave"...he came back after a nice smelly cigarette...then the owner showed up and was even more unprofessional. Its obvious this family run business is a bunch of gypsies, thats how they run their business and thats how they act...they are dishonest and in my opinion criminal with the use of guests credit cards. I wouldn't go back to that place if they PAID ME to come...it was by far the most uncomfortable experience on vacation I had ever had, it ruined our trip sadly. Do yourself a favor, stay next door at the Hampton Inn where you aren't dealing with a small family run flop hotel. At least in a large name hotel you can always go to corporate when you have a problem. Signed, love St Pete...hate Ponce Deleon Hotel :(

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank hipasbury
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is a pretty long review, but I have to let people know what a complete rip off this place is!

All these people with good reviews about the Ponce De Leon in Tampa, Florida are either full of **it or paid an AWFUL lot of money for the best rooms available!!! Aside from being in a great location and the nice staff, the experience was terrible!
We paid over $200 for what we thought was going to be a better experience than just a plain Days Inn, since we don't get to travel a whole lot (workaholics, can't get out of work enough)
If you check out the website, you will see that all the rooms and prices are shown. When I booked the room, I was expecting what I saw in that photo. I'm not sure if this link will show on here, but this is it:
Those pictures are FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!
We booked at $99/night and the room was NOTHING like what is shown in the pictures!
The place was barely even big enough to hold the pull down bed! Yes, a pull down bed...it was folded up into the wall and we had to pull it down to use it, like a trundle bed.
Also, when I attempted pulling the bed down, it got stuck and a bug flew out!
Even though we don't watch a whole lot of TV, I was disappointed to see a box for a TV.
The carpets were all stained and looked like they hadn't seen a vacuum in ages.
In the online photos, all the rooms had hard wood flooring, a wonderful vanity mirror, a desk, nice TV, and they all look very modernized....NOT!
OH! BTW the entire 4th floor REEKED of weed. I'm not a pothead, so I don't enjoy the contact high that others may.
I went downstairs to talk to the concierge, about to cry because it was such a waste of hard earned money.
I explained to him the problems we had and, after trying to stand up for the pot smokers, he led me to a different room on the 3rd floor, which was bigger, but no better.
I'm not normally one to cause too much trouble, so I settled.
The new room had 2 beds, one a pull down and the other a VERY small and unbalanced one.
My husband, standing at about 5'8", slept with his feet hanging off the bed because it was so small.
The A/C felt very humid and blew right into the side of the bed, making it very difficult to be comfortable.
When I turned on the shower, it made the WORST screeching sound until it was turned off.
It didn't look like anyone had cleaned the room in a very long time and the bed had all kinds of stains and dirt within the sheets.
Again, with the nasty carpets, which were supposed to be hardwood floors.
We were on the 3rd floor and could hear people on the sidewalks outside chatting!
The ceiling light flickered from the people upstairs walking around.

We were expecting soooo much more for spending over $200 and the rooms we saw were not even worth $20. This hotel was a big downer in the weekend. If I had known it was so distasteful, I definitely would have stayed in a cheaper hotel for much better quality.

BY FAR, the WORST hotel experience I've ever had!

Room Tip: Spend your whole life savings for good quality!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Savannah W
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed at the Ponce De Leon for 5 nights a week ago and had a positive experience (despite some of the reviews here, phew). 4th floor corner room facing Tampa Bay, lot's of light, plenty of room for 2, ok decor, the bed was comfortable and clean and the place had some charm, the fir(?) hardwood floors were a bonus. A really nice stay honestly, we would stay there again.. great shower/water pressure, had a fridge (a bit noisy)... only complaints, the drapes/blinds were a pain to operate, no fan in the bathroom (but a window) and they never emptied the garbage in our room, pretty minor; oh, and the (free) wireless was having intermittent issues towards the end of our stay... and yes, the free overnight parking they offer (you have to ask) is a long 3-blocks away, but who cares.. it was 75 degrees without a clowd in the sky!

I should mention the price was great (one night free on our stay). but the location was truly fantastic. and don't forget the tapas downstairs.. and their live music, top notch!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is an Historic hotel in the center of the heartbeat of St Pete bayfront scene. It is within walking distance of everything you could possibly need to do for a successful vacation, and within convenient driving or shuttle distance from most every other venue. Of course this hotel is dated, it is an historic landmark of mission revival architecture and is approaching 100 years old.

I did not notice that it was musty or moldy, but did notice some blemishes or difficulties in the finish of some of the details. But that is to be expected when dealing with the upkeep of an historic site where every room is unique and 90 years of service and settling have occurred. If you want crisp clean lines, cookie cutter rooms and that always newly renovated feel, this is NOT the hotel for you. If you prefer to stay in a place with character and a storied past, where you can contemplate the fabulous happenings that might have occurred all around you in eras gone by, you will most likely be comfortable here.

However, this area comes alive at sunset with the many clubs, pubs and eateries within and around the building. If you sleep very lightly, you may want to avoid the lower front rooms on the weekend. But that is also a natural side effect of staying in a hotel that is right in the middle of everything you would want to do. Complimentary breakfasts and valert parking would earn this hotel a higher score, as the parking is pretty horrid downtown.

Room Tip: There are limited balcony rooms available, so plan ahead and be sure to reserve the right room.Upper...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tdchastain
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have stayed here twice just for an overnight get away each time. First time we got a double on the back side of the hotel. Noise was not a factor there. Next time we got a queen. I would definitely spend the extra money for a queen. The queen was on the 6th floor overlooking central ave. Noise from the downstairs restaurant/ bar was definitely a factor but all was quiet after 1 a.m. I did not find the hotel dirty on either visit. We found the hotel historic and quaint and you absolutely cannot beat the location. No they do not have parking but each time we had no problem finding parking on the streets close by. Maybe the fact it was Saturday afternoon both times made a difference. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple