“Great!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed at the Ponce De Leon for 5 nights a week ago and had a positive experience (despite some of the reviews here, phew). 4th floor corner room facing Tampa Bay, lot's of light, plenty of room for 2, ok decor, the bed was comfortable and clean and the place had some charm, the fir(?) hardwood floors were a bonus. A really nice stay honestly, we would stay there again.. great shower/water pressure, had a fridge (a bit noisy)... only complaints, the drapes/blinds were a pain to operate, no fan in the bathroom (but a window) and they never emptied the garbage in our room, pretty minor; oh, and the (free) wireless was having intermittent issues towards the end of our stay... and yes, the free overnight parking they offer (you have to ask) is a long 3-blocks away, but who cares.. it was 75 degrees without a clowd in the sky!

I should mention the price was great (one night free on our stay). but the location was truly fantastic. and don't forget the tapas downstairs.. and their live music, top notch!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
DeBary, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is an Historic hotel in the center of the heartbeat of St Pete bayfront scene. It is within walking distance of everything you could possibly need to do for a successful vacation, and within convenient driving or shuttle distance from most every other venue. Of course this hotel is dated, it is an historic landmark of mission revival architecture and is approaching 100 years old.

I did not notice that it was musty or moldy, but did notice some blemishes or difficulties in the finish of some of the details. But that is to be expected when dealing with the upkeep of an historic site where every room is unique and 90 years of service and settling have occurred. If you want crisp clean lines, cookie cutter rooms and that always newly renovated feel, this is NOT the hotel for you. If you prefer to stay in a place with character and a storied past, where you can contemplate the fabulous happenings that might have occurred all around you in eras gone by, you will most likely be comfortable here.

However, this area comes alive at sunset with the many clubs, pubs and eateries within and around the building. If you sleep very lightly, you may want to avoid the lower front rooms on the weekend. But that is also a natural side effect of staying in a hotel that is right in the middle of everything you would want to do. Complimentary breakfasts and valert parking would earn this hotel a higher score, as the parking is pretty horrid downtown.

Room Tip: There are limited balcony rooms available, so plan ahead and be sure to reserve the right room.Upper...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tdchastain
LAKELAND FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have stayed here twice just for an overnight get away each time. First time we got a double on the back side of the hotel. Noise was not a factor there. Next time we got a queen. I would definitely spend the extra money for a queen. The queen was on the 6th floor overlooking central ave. Noise from the downstairs restaurant/ bar was definitely a factor but all was quiet after 1 a.m. I did not find the hotel dirty on either visit. We found the hotel historic and quaint and you absolutely cannot beat the location. No they do not have parking but each time we had no problem finding parking on the streets close by. Maybe the fact it was Saturday afternoon both times made a difference. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBDAVIS
Luray, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

i stayed here a couple of nights ago and i loved it! the manager/owner Savni Bakrac was so kind and helpful, making sure everything was perfect and made me feel so welcomed there. the other staff was so kind and helpful. the room was so unique and cute. it was also very clean and comfortable, especially the bed, which was so soft. i slept so well there and woke up very rested. i plan to come back to this cute hotel again and highly recommend it to all. very good security. felt very safe there .

Room Tip: all are good rooms!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MALCOLMSMOMLuray_va_
Bradenton, Florida, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I read ALL the reviews I could find on this place before booking. Stayed New Year's Eve. We had a Studio room. One double bed...one Murphy bed. First impressions? I liked the charm. We had two other friends who also booked rooms, and each room was different. Rooms were clean. Restuarant downstairs was good.Lots of cool things within walking distance. We went to a concert at Jannus Live, and we could walk easily there.We had no noise issues. Quiet in fact, even on NYE. We were on the 3rd floor.Those were the good points...Beds were God awful. Hard as rocks. Couldn't sleep for nothing, even after a night of a few cocktails. TV was teeny-tiny and was snowy. Cooking smells from restuarant throughout hallway, but room was OK. No place to put anything in bathroom.Can't really comment on airconditioning unit, as we did have it on, but it wasn't that hot outside.Older unit that I would have my doubts about cooling off the room in hotter weather. We checked out at 7:30AM and went home and slept. Overall, this is a pitstop place. One night only to avoid driving. I would never stay more than that. If you want a good night's sleep, stay somewhere else. I wanted to like this place, I really did. If they improved the bedding situation, they would really have a decent place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BaliHai70
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

The hotel was dirty, loud, and smelled bad. I found a nasty pair of underwear under the bed, and our bed was actually broken on the left side. The bar on the first floor was very loud, in fact, we heard people talking all night long. We were on the 5th floor and we could hear every word as clear as day. The music was very loud too. The noise went on until 3:00 AM. I expressed my feelings to the staff and they had little interest in my complaints. I will never stay there again, and I highly recommend that you choose a different hotel in the area too.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel for your visit to St. Pete
Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I wish I'd been warned...this place is truly awful. After checking in, I took the elevator to my floor. The door opened to a very dark hallway which smelled awful. Dank, dirty. I got into my room to find no dresser or anywhere to put my luggage (not even a bench or stand) so I was forced to leave it open on the floor. I wanted to catch the end of Thursday night football and the TV didn't work--really snowy. (They had me try another room and the TV was even worse.) There was no clock or radio. The bed was squeaky and uncomfortable, and sat only 14" from the floor. The air conditioning was very loud and functioned intermittently. I couldn't just leave the fan on for white noise. The place was loud. The walls had no insulation and the windows did not block sound either so, even though I was on the 4th floor, I could easily hear street noises even with the windows shut. The window blinds did not block exterior light. (Try sleeping in after a day of travel--impossible here.) The bathroom was tiny as well. I've never checked out of a place early before. I was intending to stay three nights but left the following morning. The staff didn't even ask why.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business