“Ghost tour of St. Petersburg - skip this one!”

Ghost Tour of St Petersburg & Tampa Bay
Ranked #69 of 81 Tours in St. Petersburg
Reviewed October 6, 2012

have been to many ghost tours all over the country, and I would have to say this was one of the worst, for a couple of reasons.

1. I felt like there was a LOT of unnecessary walking. When we met up at the tea room, there was a group of probably 40 people, and we were split into three groups, each with a different tour guide. I forget the name of our guide, by he had a top hat with a rat on it. Anyway, because there were three different groups all doing the same tour at the same time, I felt like a lot of the walking we did was just to avoid the other tours. We basically only went to three places, all hotels. The Vinoy, The Indigo, and The Pier. All of these are in about a 3 or so block radius, and we must have walked at least 12 blocks. There was a lot of walking time with no stories.

2. I found the stories to be quite dull and repetitive. They all started the same, and felt very contrived and fake. I just got home from the tour, and I couldn't really tell you what any of the stories were about, because none of them struck my interest. Our tour guide wasn't a good storyteller at all.

3. When the tour was over, we stopped at some side street, instead of ending back up at the tea place where we started. As an out of towner, I really didn't know how to get back, and I was upset that we were just left to walk by ourselves in the dark when I really didn't know where I was going.

Another small point to mention...when we went to The Vinoy, our tour guide lied and told us that since our group was "special" we would be the only group on the tour that would get to go into the Vinoy, which was an obvious lie, and rubbed me the wrong way.

While I will say it was cool that we got to go inside certain locations, which is rare on ghost tours, it didn't make up for the bad storytelling or lack of interesting information. I would skip this tour.

5  Thank ChessieL

Reviewed September 15, 2012

my boyfriend and i did the st pete ghost tour tonight.it was a little rainy but we had a great time.i did take alot of pictures.i did get pics with orbs in them.the couple that did the tour was great and .taught us alot of the history and the ghost stories were great....this tour is worth going to...i will be going to check out the other tours as well......thanks again LOVED IT

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Good story telling .. I wished we could of went inside one of these reportedly haunted buildings we were hearing about .

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I wish I could remember the name of our tour guide in Tampa...she was great! She was just enough crazy to be the perfect storyteller, but not off the chart crazy. You could tell she really enjoyed her job and although we didn't see any ghosts on our tour, it was a great way to walk around downtown Tampa and hear some history that I didn't know existed. If you make reservations in advance over the phone, it's only $13, which I thought was pretty cheap for 2 hours of entertainment. We giggled a lot, but it was a fun evening. I probably would not have enjoyed the tour as much if it hadn't been for our tour guide...again, an amazing storyteller!

Reviewed December 19, 2011

We happened to be in St. Pete during the full moon and thought it would be so fun to do a ghost tour of the area. We looked up the website and they advertised a special "Full Moon Only" tour that visited Al Capone's old haunts as well as a few other interesting places. However, when we called to make the reservation they told us that the only options available were downtown St. Pete and Tampa. We opted for St. Pete (since that's where we were) and scheduled to meet the guide at a tea room. She was running a bit late, which wasn't entirely her fault, but it tended to set the tone for the entire rest of the night. She gather everyone together in a rushed and hurried fashion, told us to follow and was off like a bolt of lightning. We all had to practically run to keep up with her (which is saying a lot because she was an older lady). When we finally got to a quite place, she introduced herself and the general guise of the tour but she was out of breath and the delivery as a bit hokey.

I'd like to say the night got better from here, but that was not the case. The purpose was to tell ghost stories about the "not so public history" of Downtown St. Pete but to us it seemed like she was reciting a text book and when she tried to add "spooky" elements they were silly and would have been more interesting to my 7 year old daughter and not the group of adults we traveled with.

As we traveled the town, the stories got a little more interesting, however there were several that seemed to jump around, miss key details, and had a few of use scratching our heads. At the end, it became a sales pitch to buy the book all these stories were writing in, which was a little disappointing, to say the least. But, I have to say the worst part was the "running" though downtown. I expected a casual stroll with stories, talking, and discussion among the group. Instead, we walked so fast we lost one couple for a few moments and debated just hitting up a bar instead.

I know I had high hopes, since the last tour we did was in New Orleans, but I have to admit, this left a sour taste in my mouth. Not sure I'll do another tour any time soon.

5  Thank Coreen o