Coral Reef Resort
$152
Staybridge.com
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Petersburg Northeast(St. Petersburg)(Great Value!)
$97
$228
$178
  • Restaurant
$67
All reviewsone bedroom unitpools and hot tubsrci exchangetradewinds resortrent cabanasfull kitchendaily maid servicewithin walking distancefree laundryrelaxing vacationsecurity guardst pete beachan older propertythe air conditioningceiling fanrestaurants and shoppingroom was spotless
Charleston, SC
Reviewed October 26, 2004

I stayed with friends in the Condo/Time Share section of the Coral Reef for almost a week in August 2004. We were swapping a time-share and the choices were very limited for the time/location we chose. After reading the reviews I found online, I had some reservations regarding this property, but had heard they had upgraded the condominiums and were working on the hotel itself (they are two separate buildings).

First let me say, the staff is very pleasant, but that is the best thing I can say for this property:

Check in is Saturday afternoon and check out is Saturday morning, which means you never get a full weekend. (I don't know if this is usual in the time share world, but it seemed illogical to me.)

We started in a one bedroom, which is supposed to sleep 4 (one bed, one pullout couch). I would advise 2 adults, 2 children MAXIMUM because when the couch is pulled out there is no room to walk in the living room, and you end up climbing over the bed to get to the bathroom - not great at 3am. Also, if you have more than 2 people, plan to spend a lot of time out of the room because the seating is limited.

In addition, the building is OLD, and the fixtures are all in need of repair. For example, the hole in the bathroom sink (used to drain off the water in case someone leaves it running) was ROTTED completely through - leaving a big hole in the sink. Not something you wanted to wash your face or brush your teeth in!

However, BY FAR, my biggest complaints about the room was it had hair and dirt/sand all over the floors, and mildew and mold streaked the shower. Maybe I am not used to staying at a hotel on the beach, but I found this to be something the management could control, but did not.

Anyways, since we had 3 people, we kept asking to move to a two bedroom (it was unavailable when we called to swap the time share, and when we checked in) - the staff was able to accommodate us by the third day. However, before we could move they asked us to look at the room for two reasons: there was a "leak" in the closet and the sliding shower door was off of it's hinge and would not slide. The "leak" was a giant circle of mildew in the hall closet, it was obviously not new, but we really appreciated the consideration of asking us if it was okay, and decided to move anyway (the one bedroom is SMALL for 3 adults).

Then we found out that since they do not clean the rooms daily without charging the occupant $30 or so dollars, we had to pay to have our previous room cleaned - which is ironic considering the state of the first room we stayed in. In addition, the management does not supply fresh towels or linens for the occupants - you must pay to have your bed linens to be changed or new towels. It just depends on personal preference if you would like to spend the money while you are there.

I have two final complaints: PARKING IS VERY LIMITED - in fact you have to share a parking lot with the bar/restaurant next door (however, there is a cul-d-sac where you can drive up to drop people/luggage), and the DIRTY POOL - the pool is something they boast about on their website and the sign in front of the hotel. We went swimming once, and there were so many dead bugs floating in the pool, we never went back!

I normally do not write reviews, but I hope that this accomplishes the following: The next person who researches the Coral Reefs will have a clearer picture of what they will find if they decide to stay there, and the management will invest some time and money in making the hotel/condo a place people will want to stay.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member