“Great location for a laid back vacation”
Review of Coral Reef Resort

Coral Reef Resort
North Carolina
“Great location for a laid back vacation”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

First impressions of the Coral Reef are not great, with little signage to indicate you have arrived, and an abandoned portion of the resort at the front half of the property. The parking lot of the villas includes a rear view of the abandoned units, which also circle around a large portion of the pool.

However, once you look beyond this, it is a nice place to stay. We chose the Coral Reef Resort through an RCI timeshare exchange in order to be close to Tampa and Clearwater. It was a great location for day trips to Busch Gardens, Adventure Island and the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. We also loved being on the beach, and nearby Fort Desoto is a must-see. The pool at the resort was huge (obviously meant for the larger resort before part of it was shut down), a good temperature for September/October, and great fun for the kids. With 8 and 9 year old boys, we don't sit around much on vacations, and even got in some kayaking at Fort Desoto and deep sea fishing at nearby Pass-a-Grille. There are wonderful restaurants in the area as well. We did not miss not having a restaurant on-site.

We have stayed at many condo/timeshare communities over the years. This is definitely a more laid-back experience. There are few activities offered by the resort...basically a couple of ice cream sundae bars and meet the owner type of activities by the pool. This didn't bother us at all. I did miss having a washer/dryer in our two-bedroom unit for washing beach towels (there are washers/dryers in the taller of the two buildings, but I didn't want to have to carry our clothes/towels over and have to keep an eye on them). I also missed having a workout facility and a DVD player in the room (you have to rent them at the front desk). But, the units were nice and very well stocked as far as dish utensils go. They do offer a free midweek cleaning, which was very thorough and much appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stay at the Coral Reef. It was a great location and we had a wonderful week.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank BJS_NC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Coral Reef Resort in August 2013. What a great beach location! I must admit when we turned in (very easy to miss the entrance) I was a bit shocked. All that we saw in front of us were overgrown bushes and a very old building. After winding our way around to the back we were pleasantly surprised to find a very nice resort. Rooms weren't fancy but quite clean and efficient. Plenty of room in our one bedroom condo. Beautiful view and easy access to the beach. Pool was very nice and LARGE. Hot tubs clean. Staff was great and very eager to please. Good security also as we found out when we left our back trunk open on our SUV and it was reported to us very quickly. I expressed interest in seeing the 2 bedroom units while we were there and was given a key to an empty unit to look at. Very nice and very roomy. We have plans on going back. I like other reviewers would have liked a private balcony but didn't notice a lot of foot traffic going by outside our window. We sat out most mornings and ate our breakfast with no problem at all. Plenty of good places to eat up and down the beach and great shopping center in St. Pete!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JudyGLondon
Audubon, PA
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This resort is hidden next to other larger resorts but once on the property you will be pleasantly surprised. The resort is right on the beach, which was not crowded at all. Our favorite thing was standing in the gulf as devil rays swam right past us. The staff was extremely friendly, in fact when we arrived they let us borrow some beach chairs that were left behind by previous guest. This was extremely helpful and saved us from having to either rent a chair or go buy some for the week. I think they also may have some beach toys to share if you have kids.

The resort was maintained wonderfully, the rooms were very clean. We stayed in a two bedroom condo for the week and did not want to leave. They even have free laundry facilities for the guests.

There are plenty of places to eat on the island or it is just a 10 minute drive onto the mainland of St Petersburg where they have every type of restaurant.

There is no need to worry about the abandoned hotel on the same property, I think the concerns of others was overblown.

I would recommend this resort for couples and families.

Room Tip: All the two bedroom units are in teh 4 story buiding. The one bedrooms are in the 6 story section cl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve S
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family really enjoyed our stay here. Location was wonderful, right on the beach. The pool was perfect! Enormous and never crowded, water was perfect temperature. I keep reading that the rooms were dated, but I found everything looked newer, the decor was simply Florida gulf... Greens, yellows, palm trees... There were no extras, no on site restaurants or bar, but so many within walking distance, it's not a problem. Staff was nice. Would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sweetdmc
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have been going there for years. The staff has always been nice. It is a hidden gem but it also depends upon what you are looking for. It does not have all of the extras that the bigger Tradewinds has next door. What is has is uncrowd swiming pools and a quite enviornmnet. Has two pools. One deep for diving and one large lagoon pool. You can fine a private place in the pool for you own group. I have never seen it crowded, so you do not have to worry about lose track of your kids as they run about. Easy walk out to the beach. Half of the hotel is under different ownership and closed down for future development. That is what you see when you first drive in, so it looks abit scary. It does not effect the pools, the other rooms etc. I had TV problems and they brought up a new TV right away. We will continue to go back. btw, it was the hotel used in the recent movie "Spring Breakers" but you will never see parties like that there, it is a family hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Woodcrest55129
Mooresville, Indiana
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The staff was excellent, however, the room just seemed very dated to me. Have been a timeshare owner for over 10 years and I would rate the room as below average compared to the other places I have stayed. My wife and I traveled with two children, 6 & 9. A one bedroom would be OK for two people, but four, even with small children, was too cramped. With the sleeper sofa pulled out, there was no room to move about. The tube style TV's really need to be upgraded to flat panels. The use of mirrors to make the room look bigger actually made it seem more dated. I have stayed in 2 resorts in Branson, MO, 3 in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, 1 in The Dells, Fountains in Orlando and 3 in Myrtle beach and would just rate Coral Reef as below average for the other places I have stayed. We were on the beach, but the room was just not that great for me. We also had a flooded parking lot from Tropical Storm Andrea and got the drivers side window cracked on the rental from flying debris. Not my best vacation experience. We usually only travel to Florida every 3-5 years and rotate with the other mentioned destinations. Probably wouldn't stay at Coral Reef again, just my opinion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mike P

Travelers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Tennessee
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We just love the St. Pete Beach area; and Coral Reef is a great little place to stay. It has the largest pool in St Pete and the widest beach, everything within walking distance, and the best resturant just across the street. It's also clean as can be...yes, it's a little older, but it has recently underwent major updating of rooms with granet and new furnishings. Very comfortable and very affordable.

Room Tip: Ocean front is my favorite, but all rooms (except ground floor building 2) have a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alden Suites
Alden Suites
#12 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Coral Reef Resort? Share your experiences!