“Never again”
Review of Coral Reef Resort

Coral Reef Resort
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had to find a hotel that could fit 6 people during my husbands conference in st Pete's. after reading reviews I thought this might work. I was very disappointed with the whole experience. We paid 253 a night and for that we got a run down, smelly, dirty experience. The front looks abandoned and nasty. The elevators are small and stink. The luggage carts are falling apart and so tiny that it took me three trips to get my stuff in my room. The room itself was dirty looking and old. I made my kids keep their shoes on the whole time. Half the light bulbs were burnt out and I couldn't see inside my suitcase in my room. The mattress was so hard that we all had trouble sleeping. Honestly, I was embarrassed to have booked a room there. I am still kicking myself for even paying for it!!! Never ever again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Meghan H

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had an exchange of my timeshare at the coral reef and was little worry about the reviews which I saw after I had booked.... The places has a excellent location....rigth on the beach and near great hotels and restaurant.. the room was clean .. now to the famous ugly pink building..... there is a abandoned pink building right on teh property actually in front of teh property so you must drive by it to go to the property... htere are 2 pools and one of them is near the pink building.... it is a shame that they do not do anything about taking that building down...I had a great tiem ( my first time in st pete) but I as concern about being on the beach and discovering teh area.. so i did not made a big deal about teh aesthetics... as long as the room was clean..... no sure if I ever go back but if you want a budget palce rigth on the beach .. it is ok...

Room Tip: ask for building closer to the beach FAR from the front of the building
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Aida M
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I read the other reviews on this site and thought it sounded okay. The abandoned building can not be seen in the picture, but it surrounds the pool on the other side and looks awful. Plus it wraps around and connects to the 4 floor building that we stayed in, we stayed in the last room next to the eye sore. The suite was tiny, old worn furniture, no washer/dryer. The pool bar was not even operational, we had to go to the resort next door for drinks. chairs were old, and moldy! No fitness center, no game room, no room service. No activities or amenities, no wifi in our building we had to sit outside by the other building to get it. They threaten to charge you extra for any missing items, including the room key card and insist you strip the beds and clean out all trash or pay an extra fee. I wouldn't reccomend this place to anyone and I wish the reviews I had read had explained more! Also, the lobby is a trailer in the rear.ven my kids were upset about the poor quality!

Room Tip: choose another place!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank beth46_12
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Coral Reef Resort. I thought in the interim they would have done away with the abandoned pink hotel buildings, but no. It really detracts from the atmosphere. On the bright side, if even half of those rooms were occupied you wouldn't have the uncrowded pool, hot tub, and beach experiences. I love it that we can walk a few steps and be right on the beach. The pools are lovely, relaxing, with plenty of privacy the way they are designed. The room is not the Ritz, but who stays in the room on a beach vacation??? The necessities are all there -- cold A/C, clean bathrooms, and kitchenette. I will definitely be back. I kind of hope the pink buildings are still there--it keeps this gem a secret.

Room Tip: I don't know how much more expensive the rooms facing the beach are, but I would consider that a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank denversmom
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed here in late Nov into early Dec 2011. The outside appearance is not good and needs to be improved. Great spot on the beach and the pools were nice and kept clean. We had a 2 bedroom that had been renovated. It was nice, nothing fancy and a full kitchen. All in all I would stay there again but would look for something nicer first.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank barrys24
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We had a great thanksgiving at Coral Reef. The rooms were nice, we were on the first floor in a 2 BR unit right outside the pool. The big pool was empty, we had it all to ourselves. OK, so it was unheated and chilly at first, once you got in, climbed on your float it was perfect...cool on the bottom, frying in the sun on the top! The pink buildings like others said are creepy, but who cares, its that many less people crowding the chairs! Word has it that they're tearing down those buildings and putting up a 4 or 6 story, that would be terrible as the big pool would never get enough sun, it's barely swimmable as-is without being heated, a high rise on that side would totally ruin it. My gang (4 adults) primarily hung by the pools, hot tub and heated pool at night. Not alot of kids, and those that were there were not annoying. We didn't actually sit on the beach at all during our trip, walked out during sunset, etc. but the sand's kinda hard and there's no chairs at the resort so we were just as happy at the pool. Fave spots were Spinners, Bubba Gumps and the Hurricane. Hurricane had excellent food, including turkey dinner and we ended up there a couple of times. So if you're looking for a low key, uncrowded resort I'd recommend Coral Reef, I'd go there again, but we're pretty low maintenance, so if you're looking for the ritz, this will disappoint, but if you're looking for a quiet place right on the beach with awesome pools then don't hesitate!

Room Tip: If you have kids PLEASE stay on the first floor. If you like to sleep late then get the top floor...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank rx7suzy
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Was first put off by the wreck of a motel out front, as we arrived on a rainy day (no fun at the beach). Pay no attention to it as it won't affect your stay. As the week went on and the weather warmed, so did we... to Coral Reef. Room was a one bedroom which was a little dated (mirrored walls). It was clean though and towels and such could be replaced daily. Bed linens were changed mid week. No individual balconies... that was a drag, but was ok. Limited ocean view, unless you are lucky and get a room upfront. Service and staff were very good. Nice salt pool and large chlorine pool, both were very clean. Three hot tubs... all very nice. The beach was large and walkable... beautiful gulf sunsets. We ended up the week happy and satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for something upfront on a high floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort

Been to Coral Reef Resort? Share your experiences!