“very happy”

St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I was very happy with my stay. I loved the soaps and lotions that were in the bathroom. The show head was as big as a dinner plate. I loved it. Very large closets and a large screen tv. Clean clean.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 24, 2009

My family of four stayed here one night last week as part of a four day trip to the Bay area. Overall, the hotel is nice in many ways, but it's located in a partially developed business park with no restaurants or shopping in sight. We only spent between 10 and 12 hours in the hotel, otherwise we would have felt quite isolated.

There sare lots of positives about the property. The hotel underwent a huge nuts and bolts renovation at the end of last year. The results are obvious - this is a positively unique Marriott hotel. For example, you are greeted at the doorway by four giant screens showing news, sports, etc. There is an open business center on the right with four terminals and a printer. The front desk staff was very upbeat and courteous during three separate encounters.

Our room on the concierge level looked east toward the business park. The room itself was unique in that there was a semi-private vestibule, which was shared with one adjacent room (read privacy). The room was a good size for our family, although there appeared to be wasted space near the enrty. The nice bathroom appeared to be disproportionately small compared to the rest of the room.

Of note - the hotel in general appeared to be less than half full (and that's probably being very generous considering I saw only three other guests during our stay and at midnight there were less than 20 cars in the parking lot). That probably means: 1) you can get a good deal here, 2) the staff are eager to accomodate, and 3) the hotel will stay in good condition for awhile.

There was a small outdoor pool which we did not try. Free parking right in front of the entrance.

We would strongly consider staying here again if we wanted to be in a nice hotel where location really didn't matter.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Weluv2travel360by360
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Stayed here while going to a Red Sox game in Tampa. Got a great rate from Marriot's web site. Nice, upscaled hotel. We only stayed one night, but would stay there again. Not the easiest to find the first time.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank DMM91
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Upon arrival we were greeted with a glass of Champagne and biscuits and after a few minutes decided that the first room offered was going to be far too noisy as it was on 2nd floor at the front. We took an Executive Room on the 5th floor facing into a Courtyard with zero view of any note........however it was very quiet which is what we wanted.

Overall we were very satisfied with the Hotel. Breakfast was excellent though few of the waiting staff spoke any english and getting anything could be difficult....for example they had no idea about Sweeteners for drinks etc.....only a small point and no real issue.

The Room was comfortable with good TV choices and the bathroom was very well equipped.

We ate in the Bar area on two nights and we thought the food was excellent. A good choice of items well cooked and presented. We ate out once and were very disappointed. From what we heard, dining out was very hit and miss.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank brian_uk12000
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Because we were in St. Petersburg for a wedding and really just needed a clean place to sleep and shower, the hotel was fine, especially for the rate we paid, but I would have been infuriated if we were there for vacation or if we had paid full price.

I will say that the room was very clean upon arrival and the bedding was quite comfortable. The room and bathroom were also a good size. That being said, the worst part of the stay was when housekeeping came by at 11 a.m. on the second morning we were there. We were just getting ready to go out for the day, so I asked the housekeeper through the door if she could come back. But she kept knocking and repeating "room service." I opened the door and told her we'd be gone in 20 minutes if she could just come back then. She kept saying no, until I finally convinced her to leave, hoping she understood. But when we returned in the afternoon, our room still hadn't been cleaned. The same housekeeper came back by around 5 p.m. while we were getting ready to go out for the night. I was so fed up by that point that I had to tell her no and deal with a dirty room for the night. The next morning another housekeeper came by at 9 a.m. while we were still in bed, but since we were checking out that morning, I just told her to go away.

Room service was prompt but overpriced. They also made a mistake with my order and took a while to rectify it (which resulted in my getting locked out of my room). They did send up an apologetic note and a package of candy, but it would have been nicer to have the meal comped or a complimentary glass of wine, especially since my food was cold by the time they brought up the condiment that should have come with it in the first place. They were also out of nearly every wine I asked for, and the bottle I finally got wasn't even chilled.

The lobby/restaurant seemed nice and clean, though I wasn't really down there enough to check it all out. However, the pool area was really small, always crowded, and didn't have nearly enough chairs/tables. The two times we tried to go out there we had to lay our towels down on the concrete next to the edge of the pool. The roof deck (which we only found out about through another hotel guest) was much less crowded, but the smell was terrible and the furniture disgusting. The bar was fine but, of course, way overpriced. And it closed at 11 p.m. every night, which was a disappointment.

It was also a bit of a drive to Tampa/St. Pete, but if you didn't mind getting on the highway for about 10-15 minutes, it was fine.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jbinbk
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Wow! This place was awesome. I stayed here for my girlfriend's birthday in November and I must say I truly made a great investment in this hotel. Granted, it is no where near Busch Gardens which is where we were heading, but it was definately worth the drive. The place was clean, modern, large, and had friendly staff. House keeping kept my room clean daily, and I mean spotless clean.... I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. If your looking for a great place, at a great price, with this hotel, you've struck GOLD. Enjoy your stay and I hope this review helped out. =)

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank limpinglimper
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We stayed on 27 March, 2009 , I booked though priceline and did not know what to expect.
The hotel has been recently remodeled and turned into a classy first class hotel. Our room was very nice, larger than in most hotels, bedding was very trendy, all in white with some color touches and several pillows of different sizes.
TV was big and flat. Toiletries were of good quality, also towels.A coffee machine and a small empty fridge.
Service was very good. The lobby looks exciting, there is free parking. The bar on a Friday night was lively, we had a couple of drinks with a tasty tapa reasonably priced and then a light dinner in the dinning room. The waiter was very pleasant , he happened to be French and served us politely and was not pushy like when we refused his suggestion for an Evian or San Pelegrino asking instead for tap water he obliged in a nice way.
Buffet breakfast we thought , was reasonably priced at $16 plus tax, because of quality of the food and service. We had an omelet made to order, delicious fresh fruit, cereal, coffee, juice etc. A good feeling of being in a first class place.
The only objection was that it is located a little North for our taste but
putting everything in perspective the result was very rewarding.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple