“Motel / B&B hybrid”

Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Sacramento, CA
“Motel / B&B hybrid”
Reviewed April 23, 2008

I arrived at Tampa airport at 10 pm and was really regretting not choosing a hotel near the airport, with a hotel bar and room service. After a full day of air travel and no food, I needed some sustenance and maybe even a little pampering. I had called a week prior and told Stephanie that I would be arriving late, and would be looking for something to eat. She told me that she would provide menus for delivery upon check-in. She wasn’t there when I checked in, but her husband was. I asked him about the delivery options his wife spoke of. He said it wasn’t possible as everything shuts down by 10pm. I said that I’d be fine with a supermarket, or any 24 hour diner. There must be something! He was adamant that there was nothing. After a lot of back and forth he begrudgingly said I could order pizza hut delivery. But, I must wait downstairs to get it. (He said this 5 times. Yes, I get it. I must wait downstairs for the delivery. Okay!) So, I went upstairs to drop off my bag and call for the pizza and I saw that Stephanie had written down 3 different restaurants that deliver, as promised. I called the first one on the list and they said they were open until 1am! And, they were only 5 blocks away! So, I just got in my rental car and went down there. I had the best pizza ever. (I think it was called Tony Brooklyn or something like that.) I just think it could have just been a non-issue, and started my visit off on a good note, if he had just said this place was open. Why make it so hard? Thank goodness for Stephanie.

So, the next day I got a nice cup of coffee to-go from continental breakfast in the lobby. I met Stephanie who was very nice. The rest of the day was busy and I returned to the Inn at around 6pm. I felt like being around people (I was traveling alone), so I went into the lobby to work on my computer. I like that they have wireless for free. They had wine and beer, and some dry snack mix. Lots of guests were down there relaxing and chatting. It was a nice way to unwind after a crazy day. At this point I was happy to be here, as a large corporate hotel wouldn’t have offered the B&B atmosphere.

The room was small and older. It reminded me of staying in my Grandmother’s guest room as a child. This is a large house, and it feels like it. I didn’t like the towels, they felt cheap and hard. But, the shower was okay, and bed was comfortable.

Overall, in the end, I was happy to find the Inn. It was comfortable (but not luxurious at all) and the price was half what I would have paid for a hotel by the airport. I liked the area, it was cute and (during normal business hours) there were lots of really nice restaurants to choose from. Also, the movie theater is walking distance, as is shopping.

If you are looking for a corporate feeling this isn’t the place for you. But, if you just need somewhere quick to stay while in town, but don’t want a typical motel then this is a good choice. I don’t think I’ll ever be in St. Petersburg again. But, I would recommend this place to friends on a budget.

• Liked — B&B atmosphere
  • Disliked — No food available to hungry travelers arriving late.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank ecrader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Turkish first
Venice FL
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Having stayed last month at the Ponce DeLeon in St. Pete, and being less than wowed, I tried America's Best Inn for this trip. It was charming, clean ( there was a bit of mold that could have been addressed in the tub surround grout), the bed was comfortable (but the springs did squeak), the managers were pleasant and helpful, and it was convenient and well priced for downtown St. Pete. The inn offers a happy hour (1 beverage) and a modest continental breakfast with good coffee, newspapers, and conversation with other guests if you'd so desire. There was a frig in my room and a microwave down the hall. I liked the character of the place.

• Liked — The B & B atmosphere and decorations
  • Disliked — No sleep timer on the TV
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Fleming Island, Florida
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We spent 3 nights at this property. I would rate it a poor value for the price paid - $100 per night. The room was clean but worn. The mattresses were in desperate need of replacement. The towels supplied in the bathroom were old and dingy. The window curtains were of poor quality. When we opened the refrigerator, there was over 2 inches of ice caked on the freezer compartment. Breakfast came with the price of the room. The coffee was low quality and luke warm. The food supplied was low-tier muffins and bagels. Donuts were pre-packaged. Syrup and honey were served out of squeeze bottles. Happy hour was served from 5:00 to 6:00 and was limited to one glass of wine or bottle of beer. Bottled water and sodas in the lobby cost $1 each. The innkeepers were friendly, but our opinion is that this is a poor value for staying in St. Pete. A nice Marriott Courtyard in was located across the street. If we had done our homework, we would have stayed there instead, even if the room price was higher.

• Liked — View of the exterior
  • Disliked — Poor mattress, towel, room quality
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
AmericasBestInn, General Manager/Owner at The Inn on Third, responded to this review, April 20, 2008
Dear Travelers,

it is unfortunate to hear, but this guest obviously did not enjoy their stay with us. We just wish this particular guest would have approached us during his/her stay. As he/she mentioned, we are nice! Really, we don't bite! So please let the management know if you are unhappy with your room - no matter if it is at our inn or anywhere else in the world. We strive to make our guests stay enjoyable and memorable. Nothing makes us happier than a guest wanting to come back to our inn!

To the comment about the room being worn. We are a historic inn, and our rooms as well as the lobby are furnished mostly with antiques. We believe it goes without saying, but here we go: antiques are not new.

At our breakfast buffet we offer the following: bagels, english muffins, donuts, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, joghurt, juice, milk and coffee, jelly, creamcheese and butter, syrup and honey, apples and bananas. Our coffee is always hot and fresh and experience has shown that guests prefer the syrup and honey out of the store bought bottles. All our breakfast buffet items are bought at our local grocery store and are of great quality!

During happy hour, which is from 5 - 7 pm, we invite our guests to a complimentary glass of wine or beer and snacks. Our happy hour is intended to provide the opportunity to mingle with other guests and have a quick drink before heading out to dinner.

Bottled water and Soda, as this guest mentioned, can be purchased for $1 each. We also offer FREE water from a water cooler in the lobby.

We hope above will have answered any questions that might have come up reading this review. Please always feel free to call or email us with any further questions or concerns you might have.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Stephanie & Brian Cox
Innkeepers
Grosse Pointe Park MI
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I read several reviews on Trip Advisor and was persuaded to book here. It was a wise decision. This is an old, small hotel that has been refurbished and is a cross between a hotel and a B&B, with a comfortable room, a warm and charming ambience, and great hosts. The room was on the small side, similar to what we've experienced in some older hotels in Paris, but had a comfortable queen-size bed and a large private bathroom. The hallway was stocked with books and the lobby was comfortable. Bonuses were a free breakfast, a happy hour with wine and beer, free parking and being within walking distance of museums, the trolley, and St. Petersburg's downtown attractions. We'll be back.

• Liked — general ambience
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed for three nights. Our room was small but very clean and the bed was comfortable. The ambiance was well above average, and we'd come back here without hesitation.

Stayed February 2008
Clayton, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed there 3 nights and thought it was great. The young couple who run it were very friendly and helpful. It felt like a B & B, very homey and their young son was very well behaved.
The location is excellent as you can walk down to the pier, shopping, movies, museums, etc. If you want, you can take the trolley for 25 cents, the nearest stop is 2 blocks away from hotel.

The rooms are small but that is to be expected in an older hotel. It felt almost European and we found it charming.

• Liked — The location and the hosts/owners
  • Disliked — small size room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I was booked for a five night stay at this hotel, and ended up staying only one night because I was so uncomfortable there. The proprietors are lovely people, a young couple doing the best they can with what they have, but the accommodations are barely adequate. The springs on my traveling partner's bed were so squeaky, that every time he moved, it woke me up. The furnishings were more antiquated than antique, and the room had a musty smell to it. I checked out the next morning and went to another chain motel instead.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank SunshineTraveler1
AmericasBestInn, Owner/Manager at The Inn on Third, responded to this review, February 5, 2008
Dear fellow Travelers,

we checked the bed as soon as the guest checked out. And yes, it was very squeaky! This was due to a loose screw on the boxspring frame and was easily repaired. A peaceful nights sleep is now guaranteed for the next guest. The furnishings in this particular room - two twin beds, a dresser and a desk - are truly antique, purchased from a renowned antiques dealer in the area. We strive to make our guests feel at home and therefore do anything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible. With this said, we'd love the opportunity to welcome you to our inn during your stay in St. Petersburg.

Stephanie & Brian Cox