“Look up the definition of HOSPITALITY!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Flamingo Resort
Ranked #29 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Johnston, Iowa
“Look up the definition of HOSPITALITY!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

This place is perfect if you don't want to drink and drive but they definitely have not worked out the kinks yet! The very handsome, muscular front desk guy was not at all knowledgible about anything. I asked him very simple questions that he should have known and after every question he replied by saying "I don't know"! Have you guys heard of training?.....That's how the stay started, only to go to my room to find out that they had to shut off the water system, which you would think the guy at the front desk would have at least mentioned, considering that I rented the only room on the grounds with a jacuzzi ......besides, who wants to go out to the clubs without taking a shower? I then called the front desk to see if they had an iron and ironing board......the answer was no! To top off this horrible weekend there are no alarm clocks in the rooms........COME ON GUYS! Maybe you shouldn't call this a resort! I have been going to St. Pete every year in February for the last 5 years and was excited to check out this place since it wasn't there last year but after this experience, I won't be staying there again. They've had plenty of time to work out the kinks and they haven't!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank tlmajor5421

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

I have travelled to countless spots throughout the US and I stay in gay resorts or guest houses whenever possible. I like to support GLBT owned businesses and it is also convenient, private and their staff is most often very friendly in their efforts to make you comfortable. Well, not here... the front desk guy was young and muscular, as well as dry, unhelpful and inappropriate, he had no knowledge of the area, at all (I mean not one single helpful answer) and he acted like I was bothering him when I asked him questions (it is my first time in St Pete). Worst of all, he felt the need to ramble on about his issues with immigration and its link to terrorism, and even used the word "illegals" while looking at my drivers license. Oh by the way: I am a young latino professional man. I guess at least he tried to relate and make conversation...
The bartenders later that night were just as detached and bothered by my presence, the place was dead empty (about 10 people total) and my questions were ignored, except when I asked what time they closed which was answered "everybody needs to leave the premises by 1:45" not realizing or caring that I was a guest here. So I headed to Tampa where G Bar was a lot of fun and very friendly, both the people and the staff.
So, after a cold shower this morning (no hot water), I am sitting at the bar having a coffee and a sandwich while I write this, since the pool is not heated either and I cannot use it.
Now I will head over to explore Tampa where I will stay at the Hampton Inn and go back to G Bar instead of the not so friendly and very cold (both water and attitude) Flamingo. I will not be returning, ever.
Take my advice: spend your money on any other small bed and breakfast, this place has potential (the actual space) but the people employed here are are not cultured, educated or sensitive, but worst of all they are not happy and it shows. The environment will have an effect on you and your stay. And for any minority of any type (not just gay or latin) beware, ignorance and unhappiness are a bad combo and it is not what you want on your vacation.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
8 Thank grommetick

Travelers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

Spent one night with my boyfriend just to check it out. In general, it's a fun place to visit (bar, entertainment, tea dance), but not a nice hotel for an overnight stay.

I'm not sure what it looked like before the makeover, but our room was just average -- a bit dated, in fact. And the shower was, frankly, filthy.

Also, the hotel was not very crowded, yet we were given a room directly across from the outdoor cabana bar. While the bar is really nice, the thumping music just outside our door at 2 AM was not.

Worst, this is NOT a safe area, despite what one reviewer said earlier. Case in point: we visited the Pizza Hut directly across the street around 8 PM on Saturday night, and it was ROBBED while we were there! We ran out, left our food, and returned to the hotel a bit shaken up.

Again, the drag show, Frenchie Davis, and bar was fun to visit, but the hotel part of the trip was more of a "motel" experience, and not one I'd repeat.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JKVnCHI
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

The west coast of Florida has needed a gay resort for some time and now they have one. Good location, safe area, close to everything. Nice pool area. Very nice restaurant serving great food. Wonderful inside bar and Cabana bar poolside. Desk clerks are very friendly. Nice curb appeal when you enter the property and nice, clean bring lobby. The pool area is very large and plenty of room for dancing.
We know that it has been opened for just 4 months and it does take a little time to get everything all worked out however management is on top of everything and we are really looking forward to this resort going over big time. They are keeping their room rates reasonable. We are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Jax, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

The atmosphere from teh front desk to teh tiki bar are top notched they go out of tehre way to be sure your having a good time....Drinks have enough alcohol for the true lush in you (wink) and the rooms are very nice... they have paid attention to details for the person who likes to travel and with much beach appeal....the Pool is fantastic and clean!! I wish these guys great success they sure have shown us that class is here to stay! Good luck Guys we will be back and bring our friends from up north!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

Wow we are amazed, the former Howard Johnsons Hotel which was in poor condition to say the least has completed a 2 milliion dollar renovation as a gay resort. The new owners have done an amazing renovation.

The rooms were fresh and the furniture seemed to be new, the staff was very friendly and outgoing in all parts of the resort.

The resort feautures a main lounge area, an quiet well decorated dining area. Menu service was also available at the pool and a very unique tiki bar located in the courtyyard.

The room rates were very fair, as florida residents they did offer us a discounted room rate from there standard rate of $90.00.

We were very pleased to find the Continental Breakfast, as a business traveler I found it to be very similiar to a Hampton inn Breakfast, nice variety and well thought out

We live 82 miles from the resort and look forward to more visits. The staff had told us to book our new years eve rooms soon as its looking like it will be sold out.

We made a mistake finding the location we got off 275 too early, be sure to take the 54th Ave south exit, its a little closer to the resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple