Flamingo Resort
$188
$167
Hilton.com
  • Pool
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Petersburg Northeast(St. Petersburg)(Great Value!)
$87
$228
$178
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewssunday tea dancemain barpete areafront desk clerkterryfundaypoolside
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have been to Flamingo several times for t-dance and had a great time.
I was visiting friends in Tampa and we decided to book a room for Memorial day
weekend. The hotel had a 2 night minimum but we were able to book one night on
orbitz.com. When we arrived she could not find our reservation and finally she said
it was book for May 2015. We had booked the correct day online but the staff at the
hotel had entered the wrong date in their reservation system. After 30 minutes we
were finally checked in. We had pool view room on the second floor. We walked
in and it was exactly as I expected. Nothing had been updated in years. There were
no comforters or blankets on the beds. Just a sheet. There were 2 very thin towels in
the bathroom and the carpet was snagged and dirty. I went to get ice and the one
ice machine was out of ice so I went to the bar and the bartender was happy to fill
the ice bucket. We had friends staying there and their room was pretty much like ours.
It could be a nice place if the owner would just make a few upgrades. We did have a
great time there as always and the $99.00 we spent to stay there was cheaper than
a DUI. Like I said it was what I expected so I was not disappointed. I would stay again
but only for 1 night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank KeyWestRC
Lyle C, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for the feedback it is very helpful to us. We are in the process in updating all the rooms and removing the carpets as well a updating the property. We hope you will come back and visit us again and enjoy some of the new and exciting changes we are making to the resort.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel over 3 years ago, when it was clean, respectful and full of life. I was heading to Florida again to meet up with some friends and booked a 3 night stay at the Flamingo, remembering what a fun time I had and what a nice, clean place. I was happy that there was a "gay" hotel to relax and feel completely comfortable at during my stay. Unfortunately, when I arrived, I could immediately see that this hotel had taken a turn for the worst. All 3 rooms that I kept being transferred too were all the same. The carpets were stained in black, the rooms were not clean and the entire room smelled strong of mildew. I even purchased a can of Lysol,, but even after using the entire can, the smell did not leave. There was a hole on the bathtub, used cups in the bathroom door on the floor and I found 2 used condoms in the room. One beside the nightstand and the other at the foot of the bed. There were also holes and rips in the sheets. Only 2 outlets worked in the entire room. I finally decided I just could not stay at the hotel, packed my things and checked out that same night. The night manager, who was very nice to speak with, apologized and advised me to call back the next morning for the day front desk manager for a full refund. I had to make several calls to the front desk the following day and spoke with the day manager, who was very rude, sarcastic and unprofessional. He did not want to discuss the reasons why I left, he interrupted me, saying "Your car has been refunded, sir". I will never go back to this establishment, because of the way the rooms were kept, and the because of the rudeness of the day front desk manager. This is a SHAME, because I was so excited to be doing business with a gay establishment and supporting our community. Unfortunately, the owners of this hotel do not seem to have pride in their business and decided to not take care of the business. I wish the hotel luck and hope it can turn everything around, but in the meantime, PLEASE read all of the recent reviews before booking a room. It's not worth the unsanitary rooms and mildew/mold smell.

Room Tip: Try another hotel, unless you have a steady supply of penicillin handy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank Brian L
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My partner and I stayed for five nights over Easter Sunday. (4/16 - 4/21/2014) After being together for 34 years, I proposed at Easter Brunch. We are from MD where we are now able to marry. The food at brunch was delicious. During our stay the staff was happy and went out of their way to help. Josh checked us in quickly and answered all our questions with a smile even though we arrived after midnight. The room was comfortable and it was nice having two bathrooms in the suite. The bars were festive. Our first night we went to the Code Bar. When we walked in Derrick stepped out from behind the bar to introduce himself and give us a hug. Tyler was training Garred at the Cabana bar. They take the time to get to know the customers. We also met adorable Anthony serving at the bar inside the night club. The Sunday Tea Dance had a good turnout. I would like to see more locals supporting this establishment. It is fun.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Etcdragon

Thank you for the positive feedback, we look forward to having you guys come back out here again!!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Spent Memorial Day Weekend (checked in Saturday and out Monday) here as a quick place to getaway from Orlando. Checking in has always been quick, easy, and painless; we were at the front desk and out in minutes. Great instructions were given to us on how to get to our room and where to park. Our room (145) was on the ground floor. We go into the room and unpacked. This is the first time we have ever checked into a room with only 2 bath towels available. We tried to secure something in the safe, but it didn't work. The beds (2 doubles) were comfortable, but a little soft. The 2 pillows per bed, I thought, was kind of cheap. Four pillows should have been the norm for both visual appeal and comfort. The room itself was clean. Conveniently placed on the desk top was an envelope with the housekeeper's name on it for a gratuity. I wrote on the back of the envelope that we needed extra towels. We woke up on Sunday and left the room at 11:00. The room was never serviced. Granted we closed the bars at 3:00 Saturday night and placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign in the key slot, but we have done that many times at many hotels, motels, and resorts and the room gets the attention. We did not leave a tip since we did not get anything from housekeeping. We do leave housekeeping gratuities wherever we stay even without the offered envelopes.

On to the rest of the resort.... We started out at the Cabana Bar with Larry and Lance. My drinking choice is pretty much the sam anywhere I go. My friends are ALWAYS changing: beer to rum to vodka to beer, etc. Both bartenders were attentive and responsive without any attitudes. We talked with them and they told us stories, and their history. Both were new employees, Lance was still on his training shifts and Larry moved here from Lauderdale and Georgie's Alibi. We talked about going to the restaurant and getting the ribeye special. We have been at the resort a number of times and know the Saturday night special as being very good and a great price. So when we looked at the website and saw the Saturday night special as the ribeye steak listed under the bar menu, we thought that it was just an informational notice on the day's special. Visits past, we went into the dining room and sat down at cloth draped tables with cloth napkins and set tables. We ordered the specials and received a salad to start our dinner before the steak, veg, and baked potato were served. Restaurant is closed but they still have the special (????) on a china plate. But picture this... Eating a steak on a china plate next to your friend eating "house breaded" chicken tenders in a basket. They really should 86 the steak. Back at the Cabana bar later kind of got the munchies tried to order a basket of fries but was told the kitchen closed. There are NO chip machines on property, only CANDY BARs! So I want a salty potato snack and all that is available is a Snickers Bar! Went to the McDonald's next door. Cabana bar closed so we were directed to the Flamingo Bar inside where Jake was the bartender. This cute little kid was SOOO entertaining and friendly. With him we were introduced to Will, Tyler (ok we met him earlier). My advice is do not do a hit and run, talk to your wait staff and your bartenders. Spend time with them.

Room Tip: Pool side tends to be louder than the other option. ground floor is right at the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We have often visited the Flamingo, weather it be for an afternoon or an overnight getaway. We went last Monday afternoon. Hung out by the pool and the Tiki Bar. Had the pleasure of cool breezes and great cocktails. We had the fine service of Tyler who was not only friendly, but VERY easy on the eyes.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple