Flamingo Resort
Bayway Inn(St. Petersburg)
  • Pool
Driftwood Motel(St. Petersburg)
View Hotel
Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort(St. Pete Beach)
View Hotel
Kimpton Hotel Zamora(St. Pete Beach)
  • Pool
Hideaway Sands Resort(St. Pete Beach)
View Hotel
Bon Aire Resort(St. Pete Beach)
View Hotel
All reviewssunday tea dancemain barpete areafront desk clerkterryfundaypoolside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I needed a weekend break, and decided to check out the Flamingo. It is rated as a top LGBT freindly establishment. How it gets the high ratings, is beyond my comprehension. The rooms are out dated, poorly kept, and have a "should I touch this with my bare hands" feeling. No Fridge, Micro, hangers, old CRT TV sets with poor quality picture, barely working A/C units, "warm" hot water,I had a towel that looked like someone had tried to put it through a shredder, and an over all unappealing atmosphere.
You get a sense that you are not safe, nor are your posessions. I kept checking on my car, to make sure it wasn't being broken into, or run into. The first room ( I had to change rooms because of the noise level) was right near the poolside bar. When I made reservations, I was told this room would be in the "quieter end" of the courtyard. It was so loud at 2:30AM, I got up and wet for a drive. When I returned, there was a drunk passed out across the side walk outside my door. After changing rooms, the next night was more comfortable.
I still just had to get out of this place, and checked out a day early. They charge $20.00 for early departure.
I have been to other LGBT hotels and genres, and this place is about the worst in my experience. If you want to party here, that may be fine. If you want a weekend away, go to a national chain hotel in the area, and drive over for the bars, etc.

Room Tip: Don't book a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank James P
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had relatives in town (I live in St. Pete), so I gave them my apartment and booked myself for two weekday nights at the Flamingo. I had been to the Flamingo's bars a few times, which are OK enough, but never stayed in their rooms. So, why not book a few nights? How bad could it be? I should have probably said NOT to put me in a ground floor room next to the Cabana Bar because basically guys are just coming up to your window wanting an invite to come in, even if you're just brushing your teeth at the bathroom sink. The rooms are drab. The towels have been overbleached and are completely threadbare. The TVs have 10 channels. Even though there were basically no hotel guests while I was there, housekeeping never cleaned my room or gave me new towels/sheets. The Flamingo rooms are great if you want to get hammered and crash, but if you're looking for an actual "resort" (gay or otherwise), keep looking. Better yet, get a nice room on the beach and just come over and hang out in their (sparsely populated) bars/club.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor unless you want the local tweekers knocking on your door.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank MikeyinParis2013
Manager999, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your visit. We are in the process of upgrading our rooms right now and hope to complete the upgrades within the next 3 months. We strive to maintain a clean and comfortable atmosphere for a reasonable room rate. We are happy to move a guest if they are uncomfortable being near a high traffic area such as the Cabana Bar. We hope you try out our accommodations after the renovation and don't hesitate to bring any issues immediately to our attention at the front desk. Thanks again, Steven

Reviewed October 8, 2013

It is not easy coordinating with a major event at any establishment . The Flamingo Resort did a superior job in my opinion. Any problems were taken care of promptly . Even though it was a Leather Weekend the regular customers blended in nicely.
The resort supports many communities and is open to all. The large pool and outside bars create an atmosphere of fun . They have several shops that will most likely have you finding what you didn't know you were looking for and glad you found it. The Code bar is their Leather bar while the inside bar caters to all with a dining room and stage for shows the drag shows are enjoyable . There is also another bar where you will find cowboys line dancing and boots a flyin around the dance floor on a Friday night.
The real difference that has happened is the New Manager Shane (sp) he is (will be) making amazing changes especially to the rooms,I have seen him early morning making sure there was coffee and even out walking around the pool making sure things are straightened up. Shane has a welcoming attitude ,a friendly smile ,and will help you in any way possible.
I recommend the resort completely. Please give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed

Room Tip: the pool side rooms and bottom floor are the best because of location
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Manager999, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you also for acknowledging one of our very hard working Managers, Shane. I will be sure to pass along the kind words you wrote. We look forward to your next visit with us. - Steven

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I just stayed there for Tampa Bay Leather Weekend which is held there every year. It a fun event that goes on and there other events going on all year long there Everybody should come out have a great time. The management Staff is more then helpful and they will work with anyone.. The are working on changes of the hotel in a very good way up grades of the rooms. Every Sunday they had a Tea Dance they would love all to come out an enjoy the hotel is open all year around so come out and have some fun with Events and the different Shops and services they have to offer. If you have a problem with the hotel in someway then management wants to hear this how they can improve it for your stay and stays there...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Manager999, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy that our guests are noticing the upgrades we are doing to the rooms, the emphasis on customer service and the creative events to enhance your experience. We hope you visit us again very soon. Thanks again for taking time out to review us. Steven

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am sad to report that the Flamingo has gone way downhill since my last visit. I have stayed here many times, but our recent visit on October 1-2 was not up to standard. Our first room had a broken bed that should have been caught by housekeeping. Also, our AC unit malfunctioned during the night and switched itself from cool to heat. Early the next morning I requested a change of room and the second one was better, but the beds are tired and the room was not as clean as previously experienced. The pool water and deck were not 'pristine' as my previous review indicated. It is obvious that they are undergoing some management changes and that housekeeping and grounds cleaning are not the priority that they were previously. I know that this is their off season, and was informed that the rooms will be updated and renovated this fall, but as a loyal guest here, I expected better.

Room Tip: Avoid room 135 until they have addressed the issues mentioned
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank caliber35

Thank you for your review. Yes, we are in the process of upgrading all of our rooms and are constantly improving common areas. We apologize for the room inconveniences and rest assured the a/c issue has been addressed as well as the broken bed. Usually, bed issues are not noticed by housekeeping (unless blatant) since they do not "test" them out when cleaning and we have to rely on guests to inform us of an issue preferably the departing guest and not the arriving one (which happened in this case). Unfortunately, this did not happen. We are happy that we were able to accommodate you in another room to your liking since the weekend was rather full with another outstanding event. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to your next visit so you can see all the new things we have done - Steven