“Rooms Not The Highest Priority” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Resort

Flamingo Resort
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
New York City, New York
“Rooms Not The Highest Priority”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

OK, time to get honest with the readers, this place is mostly a place to party with friends. There is a patio bar, sort-of main lounge bar, pool bar and even a neo-leather bar.

The pool patio rocks on weekends with loud music and Sunday's big pool party goes until the late hours of the night. If you want peace and quiet, stay in an outside room or another hotel. Just come for the party.

The rooms are nothing exceptional and housekeeping could give the rooms a little more attention. As could the maintenance for the hotel which was more than likely a Holiday Inn of sorts in a past life.

Midweek rates make staying at this hotel worthwhile; however, the higher weekend rates are a rip-off.

Just be aware, this can be sort of a "cruisy place" and you might want to ensure your window draps are fully closed or you may wake up only to find eyes pearing into your room. That can be a little strange...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank TraveljohnsonJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed three nights for Leather Pride did not want to leave. Staff was very nice. The shows where amazing. Pool bar stayed busy the whole weekend. Room was nice 70's vintage hotel room. I did not find a parking space close to my room but small inconvenience for the crowd. I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank learher_male
Gainesville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have stayed here mutiple times over holiday weekends-place is over-priced for what you get. The place was dead...nothing really going on at night. Some old drag queens-more of a camp style. If you are looking for something to do at night, this is not the place for you. I liked that I was supporting LGBT, but what a boring stay. Very close to the beack. Spent a bit more and stay on the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank BankerBoyFL

Travelers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Cape Coral, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have stayed in the past, and will never do so again. However, we were in town for a quick weekend and decided to staop in for a few drinks Saturday evening. The place was dead. We sat out at the pool bar, and were treated rudely by both bartenders. As we sat watching the bartenders at work, I realized they were skimming the drawers! Almost every single drink they rang in was $1, and the rest went into the tip bucket. Every drink, every time. I inquired if there were drink special, and was told it was Saturday - what a stupid question! LOL..really?

We left that bar, and went inside, and wouldn't you believe it, the bartender was doing it there too!

This place has systemic issues that it cannot overcome. It is staffed with untrustworthy employees, and that is a shame. I will never step foot in the place again. I am told I am a generous tipper, and love to tip - especially in gay establishments. But I won't give a dime over to thieves.
I encourage you to avoid this place. If they will steal from the owner, they certainly will steal from you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Paul J
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is your basic gay/lesbian motel with ool, bars, and restaurant. For the money, our king sized bed was very comfortable. More updates needed to the bathroom as still very dated but the room was clean. Our only issue was that the internet never worked. We called the front desk and they advised that they had had problems during the day but that it was now fixed. It never worked that night or the next morning.

Room Tip: if you want more quiet then choose an outside room, it you want the music all night then pick a pool...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Service Rating - Good
Cleanliness Rating Fair to Good
Security Rating Fair
Location Rating Fair

The Flamingo is truly an urban oasis, a place to stop for refreshment (potent cocktails at great prices), a decent meal and perhaps a cooling dip in their huge pool. You might choose this establishment as a destination and stay for days at a time. Whether you will be happy with your stay might depend on your expectations going in.

I had the opportunity to speak with some of the people working the bars and restaurants along with hotel management and I made it clear that the negative reviews I had encountered while researching places to stay had convinced me not to choose Flamingo for my 5 day pre-cruise stay in St. Pete. A friend of mine convinced me to give it a try, and I'm glad that I did. It's not a perfect paradise but I am hopeful that the management has made a commitment to address the complaints that are common in reviews.

The staff are among the hardest working group of people I've ever encountered. They work long hours to provide a resort experience for their guests. This is a full service operation and quite a handful to maintain. It is refreshing to see people trying hard in a sometimes difficult environment. The result may not be perfect, but I felt comfortable to interact with staff whether positive or negative.

And, no---it's not a Hilton; but you're not paying Hilton prices either. I'll choose the high end if I want to luxe out and dress up. If I want to r-e-l-a-x, I'll choose the Flamingo, let my hair down and get my gay on. No screaming kids or bad attitudes here. Watch a show, grab a bite to eat and enjoy the dancers in Code Bar---it's anything but boring.

I would stay at Flamingo again. I hope this review doesn't sound like a ringer----I'm inclined to accentuate the positive and the staff clearly won me over. Give it a try...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Owen P
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my first time here, I had read reviews on another site that were pretty positive so my partner and I decided to spend our weekend here. Big mistake. When so got into our room the first thing we noticed was the smell which luckily we were able to fix by turning on the AC. We then noticed the blue sitting chair with all kinds of stains on it, we made sure not to sit on it or put anything on it. I go to sit on the bed and the white down comforter the was brown stains that looked like someone had wiped their behind on it. No kidding. The pillow on the bed was a small traveling pillow. After seeing this we decided to buy some bed sheets and pillows. The bath tub had yellow rust stains all over it so we made sure to shower with flip flops. I'm a guy thats usually easy to please but I was totally disappointed about my experience and will not be returning, The only thing we did enjoy with the gift shop where they sold swim suits, post cards, and ornaments.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple