“one night stay after week on beach”
Review of Flamingo Resort

Flamingo Resort
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is your basic gay/lesbian motel with ool, bars, and restaurant. For the money, our king sized bed was very comfortable. More updates needed to the bathroom as still very dated but the room was clean. Our only issue was that the internet never worked. We called the front desk and they advised that they had had problems during the day but that it was now fixed. It never worked that night or the next morning.

Room Tip: if you want more quiet then choose an outside room, it you want the music all night then pick a pool...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Service Rating - Good
Cleanliness Rating Fair to Good
Security Rating Fair
Location Rating Fair

The Flamingo is truly an urban oasis, a place to stop for refreshment (potent cocktails at great prices), a decent meal and perhaps a cooling dip in their huge pool. You might choose this establishment as a destination and stay for days at a time. Whether you will be happy with your stay might depend on your expectations going in.

I had the opportunity to speak with some of the people working the bars and restaurants along with hotel management and I made it clear that the negative reviews I had encountered while researching places to stay had convinced me not to choose Flamingo for my 5 day pre-cruise stay in St. Pete. A friend of mine convinced me to give it a try, and I'm glad that I did. It's not a perfect paradise but I am hopeful that the management has made a commitment to address the complaints that are common in reviews.

The staff are among the hardest working group of people I've ever encountered. They work long hours to provide a resort experience for their guests. This is a full service operation and quite a handful to maintain. It is refreshing to see people trying hard in a sometimes difficult environment. The result may not be perfect, but I felt comfortable to interact with staff whether positive or negative.

And, no---it's not a Hilton; but you're not paying Hilton prices either. I'll choose the high end if I want to luxe out and dress up. If I want to r-e-l-a-x, I'll choose the Flamingo, let my hair down and get my gay on. No screaming kids or bad attitudes here. Watch a show, grab a bite to eat and enjoy the dancers in Code Bar---it's anything but boring.

I would stay at Flamingo again. I hope this review doesn't sound like a ringer----I'm inclined to accentuate the positive and the staff clearly won me over. Give it a try...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Owen P
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my first time here, I had read reviews on another site that were pretty positive so my partner and I decided to spend our weekend here. Big mistake. When so got into our room the first thing we noticed was the smell which luckily we were able to fix by turning on the AC. We then noticed the blue sitting chair with all kinds of stains on it, we made sure not to sit on it or put anything on it. I go to sit on the bed and the white down comforter the was brown stains that looked like someone had wiped their behind on it. No kidding. The pillow on the bed was a small traveling pillow. After seeing this we decided to buy some bed sheets and pillows. The bath tub had yellow rust stains all over it so we made sure to shower with flip flops. I'm a guy thats usually easy to please but I was totally disappointed about my experience and will not be returning, The only thing we did enjoy with the gift shop where they sold swim suits, post cards, and ornaments.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Jim854
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have gone a couple times, I must say the first time the room was a bit old, the last time, the room was in better condition. The rooms never do get really cool though.
We wont be staying again, due to some activity that we observed in the pool, we are a straight couple, that goes with our gay friends,and there was extra activities going on in the pool by straight and gay couples. It is a place to stay if you have been drinking.

6  Thank lovetotravel8590
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The pool and bar areas are nice.The restaurant looks good.Its a friendly crowd. Mostly locals.I would not try to stay there. The place is rundown. The rooms are old, and worn.Bathrooms are small. The air conditioner is very loud.
There are unshady characters there. Not sure if hustlers, or dug dealers. Probably both.There is some cruising going on in the bathroom area.Didnt see it anywhere esle.

4  Thank Gary s
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The website and ads are totally different than what this place really look like. They want a deposit of $100 when you check in then they proceed to tell you no smoking in the room and if they smell that you have they keep it. THE ROOM SMELLED LIKE AN ASHTRAY. Of course I let the front desk person know. The next thing I notice is the dirty carpet with cigarette burns all over it. I walked in the bathroom and the first thing I notice is the roll of toilet paper is half used. They couldn't even provide a new roll. While in the bathroom I noticed a splatteron the cieling from a colored liquid. There was also mold on the bottom edge of the shower curtain. I went outside the room to look at the pool area and noticed more things. The pool had black mold on the walls. There was a questionable thug looking man walking around and one of the guests told me to watch my stuff because he is looking to steal. They let anyone from outside the property in....you don't have to be a guest.I don't know why they don't put any money into this place. It has so much potential. So sad. Never again!
I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN PICS TO PROVE IT! TRUST ME.

Room Tip: DON'T GO! Its just not a great property
11  Thank Unsatisfied67
Reviewed August 8, 2012

No water working in room, no toilet working in room.. shards of glass in my breakfast.. people in pool all night long,,, air conditioning doesnt work very well.. internet worked for about 5 min a day.. had to keep calling and getting them to reset router.. room in disrepair.. very out dated...wud never stay here again.. stay somewhere else and use pool here for free like everyone else does

Room Tip: stay somewhere else and come use pool here for free like everyone else does
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
#21 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Hampton Inn St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn St. Petersburg
#9 of 42 in St. Petersburg

Been to Flamingo Resort? Share your experiences!