“a bit expensive, but a nice place”

Hampton Inn St. Petersburg
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is the 1st time staying at this hotel. We have stayed in this area before & thought we would give it a try. It is more than we would normally pay but we give it a thumbs up. We had a few issues which were looked after right away with smiles & apologies. The breakfast is very good with a number of selections including hot food. The pool area is quite large with a hot tub. It isn't in the best part of town but we had no problems with the local talent.

We had a 1 bedroom suite which comprised of 2 very large rooms, TV in each room. They are in the process of replacing all the carpets & they are then going to replace all the TVs with new flat screens.

There are some fast food restaurants in the area plus a Po Folks just up the street. I would also highly recommend the St. Pete Diner which is right across the street. It doesn't look like much from the outside but the food & service is top notch. For less than $10 you get a good sized meal including soup or salad & dessert.

We will likely stay here again next year on our vacation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2011

I try to stay at a Hampton Inn every time I travel because of my trust for the name and the fact that they have The Hilton name behind them. I have always had a positive experience at every Hampton Inn I have ever stayed at before this. I have never stayed at this Hampton before and will not again. The only positive thing I can say is the bed was comfortable as is the case at every Hampton Inn. I love the soft white comforter and the fact that Hampton Inn is known for giving extra pillows.

Upon check in the front desk agent said to us, in front of several other people "You are in room 410" which I know from working in the hotel business that is a big No-No. She didn't bother to tell us where the elevator was. We got to the 4th floor and got off the elevator to one of the most fowl odors I have ever experienced. The entire hallway smelled. I can't quite place the smell but if was nauseating. The same stink was there at midnight when we returned to the room and again when leaving this morning.

I tried to call the front desk to request a wake up call and the phone in the room didn't work. I went to set the alarm on the clock to notice the clock was off by exactly one hour. Had I not noticed I would have woken up an hour late. I went to get some ice to keep a couple sodas cold for my room and the ice machine didn't work and no sign on the machine saying it was broken and where the closest one was located.

We woke up and didn't have a bill under our door to review before checking nor was one offered by the front desk agent upon checking out. The water pressure in the shower was so weak I might as well used a spray bottle filled with water. Took 15 minutes just to get the shampoo out of my hair and I'm 3/4 bald. I figured after this poor experience I would at least stop by the continental breakfast for a quick bite to eat before getting on the road for a two hour drive. The eggs tray, french toast tray and sausage were all about empty with just scrambled egg crumbs, one slice of burned french toast and no sausage. Nobody there attending to it to notice it was empty. Thank God for McDonalds drive through.

I will not hold this bad experience against The Hampton Inn as a brand as I have had many very good stays at other Hampton Inn's in the past. However, if I am ever in St Petersburg again I'll seek a better hotel. Maybe Ecocolodge or Motel 6? At least you go in there knowing to expect a dump.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Gary M
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Our trip was planned to visit an ailing relative. We chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the relatives we were visiting. After booking this hotel, I was concerned with some of the reviews I read. Well, the stay couldn't have been better. Perfect location. Perfect weather. We had a clean room. Polite and very helpful housekeeping and staff. The "FREE" breakfast was as good as any restaurant. The outside pool/hot tub were an added pleasure and so relaxing after a day out playing tourist. I honestly can't think of a negative concerning this stay. I recommend visiting the Clearwater Marine Aquarium (home of "Winter", the dolphin in the movie Dolphintale) if you are in the area.

Room Tip: If you want a smoke-free room or prefer a king bed over 2 doubles, make sure you request this when y...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2011

First of all, this is NOT the downtown St Pete Hampton Inn. I stay here at 34th Street occasionally only if I cant get a room at the downtown hotel. Twice now I have had to request a room change due to a smoky room smell. The last time I swear there was a cigar party in the room prior to my arrival. They warn of a cleaning charge for smoking, but I doubt it's ever been enforced and the smoker patrons know it.
Located right on St Pete's 34st (old US19), you are likely to witness a few shady activities in the shadows at night. Not really a bad location as far as restaurants go, but almost nothing within walking distance to eat. YaYa's Chicken is close and good, a Pizza Hut and a Po' Folks are a 2 minute drive. Mazzaro Italian Market is just up the street on 22nd Ave and is a local's favorite for lunch or an espresso.
Tropicana Field is about a 10 minute drive, you could actually catch a cab for less than the cost of parking. Not a bad hotel if you are on a budget or just want something not far from the Ray's game. Beaches are a good 20 minute drive away.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to complain if your room smells of cigaretts on arival.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Staff was friendly and helpful

If you are looking for a place to sleep at night and hit the beaches during the day this is fine , but area is pretty shoddy at night unless your idea of a good time is hookers and homeless people

would really recomend a no name small hotel right on the beach instead , this place is miles away from the beach

Room Tip: it is a Hampton , rooms were clean
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I was very disappointed with the location. We were trying to stay close to Tropicanana Field and it wasn't far but I would have rather stayed in Tampa and drove. The area is kind of sketchy with no restaurants, bars, etc. Pawn shops and dated business are surrounding. It's not that I don't recommend the hotel itself just the location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We love Hampton Inn. The king suite w/ sofa bed works great for our family of 5 and so does the free breakfast. Whenever we travel we stay at Hampton Inns. I would not go back to this one. The pool picture is the best part of this hotel. The rooms are old and shabby. The one we stayed in had water damage on the ceiling. It was a busy weekend, they were sold out-the front desk told me rudely when we checked in and I asked for a first floor room. Because they had a full house breakfast was a disaster. There was no place to sit and no food to be had. As soon as the only breakfast lady put anything out it was snatched up!! I went to the front desk to suggest that somebody should help the breakfast lady and was told that the manager doesn't work weekends!! It gets worse. The picture of the beautiful pool does not show that if you turned around you were on a major road. Similar to RT 1 in Massachusetts. They must have had a full house for a function because a day later the hotel was pretty empty. This is when about 30 people, moms and kids came in off of the street and took over the pool. There was no security to stop local residents from using the pool and we heard one lady on her phone telling friends to come over. They were running around the hotel and the pool, we had to leave because my children felt uncomfortable. I emailed Hampton Inn.com to tell them about my horrible stay. Never heard anything. I would never go back to this hotel. I would spend the extra $$$ and stay at the Hampton Inn in downtown St.Petersburg.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family