“Best conditions, best teacher”
Review of Kiteboarding Tampa Bay - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I got a lesson from Steve, we met at an awesome spot where water is shallow and just perfect for beginners. He stayed there till sunset waiting for me and always providing me with useful tips. Highly recommended!

1  Thank XimXum

Reviewed January 20, 2013

To begin with, Steve arrived late to my lesson. We spent about an hour learning with a 4m kite on the beach. We then moved to the water with a 12m kite. I spent some time practicing with only the kite and then added the board. After little more than an hour, I was getting close to fully riding, but had not quite gotten it yet. Steve said that we needed to go in and walk back up the beach to get back to where we started. He rode the kite in and I walked. When I got back to the beach less than 1 ½ hours had passed since I entered the water. Steve approached me in a very irritated state, informing me that his other lesson had showed up and that he would get me “my one more hour”, but that it would not be today. I inquired as to why he was irritated with me when he had booked two lessons at the same time. I explained that I dedicated this day to the lesson and expected to be in the water for the full three hours. His website clearly states that a few hours will be spent on the beach and the customer will only be billed for the three hours in the water. We only spent an hour on the beach and less than 1 ½ hours in the water. Instead of accepting responsibility for making an error in scheduling, he came up with numerous excuses, none of which laid any responsibility on him. He said that I did not learn fast enough and was uncoordinated. I am 29, physically fit, and surf and snowboard at a high level. He also stated that I was underpowered for the conditions and that he should have rigged a 14m kite. Steve told me that we would talk in a few days about rescheduling. I told him I only have the weekends available. He said that we would meet Sunday (the next day) at 9 am. Then, spitefully, he told me, no we’re going to meet at 11:30 because he wanted to sleep in. During this entire conversation he was very unprofessional and for some reason angry with me. I told him that I did not feel comfortable continuing the lesson with him and would like a refund for half of the $300 I paid. He agreed to refund the money, but later, in an email stated that he would not refund the money. I really wanted to learn and enjoyed what I was able to learn, but had a horrible experience with Steve, the only instructor at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay. He was not for one minute the positive, upbeat instructor one would expect when learning to kiteboard.

8  Thank Tmurphyj
727Kiteboarder, Owner at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

This customer has been completely dishonest in his review, and was downright physically threatening to me on the beach. He purchased 3 hours lesson time, and in fact received 6 hours of training over the course of 2 days. He came into the lesson thinking he would be riding the board within 3 hours and unfortunately, the sport of kiteboarding doesn't work that way. When a customer is disoriented, agitated, or physically threatening, it's time to stop the lesson. He was offered to continue another day after he cooled his head, but declined.
I spent 6 hours enduring an agitated, unfriendly student, plus 300.00 to make this customer happy, and it ended up costing me a lot more than that in the long run. Feel free to contact me for the full story as the owners of this website will not allow me to state the whole truth in this matter.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Over Christmas break my family and I went down to St. Petersburg and I got the chance to take a lesson. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. He allowed me to use all of his new equipment even tho I had my own. He also stayed out on the beach and gave tips hours after the lesson time was up. Steve gave thorough instruction and was clear with instruction. I recommend Steve for kite boarding lessons of you are wanting the best instructions and experience.

1  Thank cameronkeene15
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I took 3 days of kiteboarding lessons with Steve at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay and had a excellent experience. I spoke with several other schools, did my research online, and talked to experienced kiters on the beach, who all recommended Kiteboarding Tampa Bay as the best around. I had never flown a kite before, but Steve got me up and riding both directions, doing turns, and confident that I can handle myself on the water. I will definitely be sending him more business in the future.

1  Thank Kitegirl727
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This company said they would refund my deposit considering the weather conditions were not ideal to complete the water session of the training, but subsequently reneged. My credit card company returned the funds to me after I disputed the charge.

8  Thank E W

The customer did not show up for his scheduled appointment, kept me waiting at the beach for 7 hours, and got a full refund of his lesson fees. What did I get out of it?
This lovely, untrue review from a dishonest person whom I have never met.