“Great sandwiches, bad service. Won't be back.”
Review of Thuy Cafe

Thuy Cafe
Ranked #420 of 908 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Tampa, Florida
“Great sandwiches, bad service. Won't be back.”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My family has been to Thuy Cafe several times since summer 2011 - now (1/2012). It is the first place that I have ever had banh mi and I have been hooked since. The sandwiches and various boba teas here are great. That is where the great stops and the bad starts. Service is hit-or-miss. Plan on waiting 15-50 minutes for your order, no matter how simple. We really did wait nearly an hour for 4 sandwiches and one drink when they weren't even busy. After a few check ups by me, I continued to get blank stares and no apologies. Lame. The super low seating makes dining in challenging and the dead roaches we have seen on the floor a few times don't do much for me. When the owner is in, she is courteous and brings food to your table, but overall service here is really bad. The last time I was in with my kids, I was asked if we wanted peppers on our sandwiches. Yes, we did want the seeded jalapenos that are always on banh mi. Without warning, they were replaced with insanely hot little peppers, not jalapenos. My kids (who love jalapenos) and I were DYING. It was horrible and I was so disappointed. A new place 2 minutes north across from Target (in the HoneyHam strip mall) named Seasons Cafe is bigger, cleaner, more comfortable, has much more courteous service, and more substantial banh mi. We will be going there from now on.

• Visited January 2012

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Best banh mi in town!”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I recently moved to town and have become a regular at Thuy Cafe. The banh mi is my favorite, and they have the best in town. I haven't had any of their expanded menu, as this is not really a sit-down type place, but from the look of the menu, and what I have tried so far, I bet this lady can cook up a storm! And yes, as a previous reviewer mentioned, Thuy is a world class beauty! SMOKING HOT! And the short, SHORT skirts she wears...I am in heaven every time I see her!

• Visited December 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
“Tastiest sandwich on the planet!”
Reviewed December 7, 2011

There about ten different sandwiches to choose from - eat one, take one home for later, take one back to work for a friend you will not be disappointed. This place ROCKS!!!!!!!! It makes my mouth water just to think about it.

• Visited December 2011
“Possibly the world's most perfect sandwich”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Have you heard of bahn mi? Get the grilled pork sandwich and a taro boba or any other flavor boba and settle in for the most well-balanced, crunchy, savory, sweet, bitter, fresh, chewy treat you ever had. I go here every month, and would go more often if it wasn't 15 minutes away from the office. Worth the drive, though.

• Visited August 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
“A little Dissapointed”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stopped by here to check out their Banh Mi. Actually Thuy's is an elegant little hole in the wall, obviously set up for take out more than dine in. There were a few very small Pub tables (no condiments) and some low couches with coffee tables and magazines.There is a flat screen, so I guess if you had a long wait for your take-out, it would be at least comfortable.

The sandwiches were minimalist, and frankly the chili peppers killed the taste of everything else for me. I don't mind a little sniffling and tears, but I thought they over did it. So, don't want to comment on the taste, I couldn't . I picked out the chilies, but by then my buds were numbed. This place is pretentious and hip, but that's just not enough.

Just so as to tell you it wasn't a total loss, you should know this: Owner Thuy Le is a first rate world class beauty. So, there's that.

• Visited June 2011