“AWFUL - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Craftsman House

Craftsman House
Ranked #477 of 894 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Description: This is a fine cafe inside an art gallery and studio.
Tampa, Florida
“AWFUL - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was once a quaint, charming gallery, NOW --- don't waste your time going over there, stay along the main drag on Central and check out all the galleries and fun shops. The Craftsman House needs major renovation and if you like weeds, well... they have a garden full! We were once customers and hadn't been there in a while because every time we went back, the place was going down hill, so we decided to check them out again hoping it had changed. The owner treated us so poorly; we were kinda taken back - we are not at all hard to get along with, guess he was just in a bad mood probably due to the lack of business --- noticeable. Well, he just lost another customer because we will NEVER go back again and that's a promise! If you decide to go; you'll see what we mean, but again - don't waste your time!

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Thomas449

florida
“Sweet inside. Sad outside. Food wanting.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Craftsman House is at 2955 Central Ave St Petersburg, FL 33713
(727) 323-2787. We hadn't been there in awhile and sadly it'll be our last. Since this establishment is out of the art district you actually have to seek it out. So very sad to see the decline of this gorgeous craftsman cottage. What used to be little rot areas now reflect parts of the roof decaying. The courtyard is unkempt. I suppose they have little money to maintain the properly but now it's at a critical point. When I inquired with the "owner" he surprisingly said "do you want to pay for it?", Even with that attitude we decided to have lunch in the little courtyard. Although we knew there were no customers there we still chanced it. My Caesar salad had poached chicken instead of grilled and it tasted of some days old. The lettuce was crisp but the croutons could attract deer. They were like salt licks! I ate the lettuce. One of my guests had a green apple salad and it was OK. Another guest had a hummus wrap and it too was OK. The crafts inside the bungalow are wondrous so perhaps it is worth the trip to see the great display of handcrafted goods from pottery to woodwork to leather goods all beautifully displayed in this glorious interior of the Craftsman House.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank mooselymaine
Tampa Bay, FL
“Gallery and Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

this is a wonderful place! My sisters-in-law and I stopped for lunch. Wraps, salads, and cookies...all healthy, freshly made, and delicious. After lunch, we walked the shop twice there was so much to see. There are lots of lovely artistic and creative items to catch your attention. We found gifts for ourselves and for others. And, returned the next day to buy caps with the Craftsman House logo. Jeff is pleasant to chat with and knowledgeable about the area and the craftspeople who make the items in his store. This is a place to buy higher end craft items including jewelry, pottery, hand blown glass. The building is a Craftsman style bungalow, authentically restored. Delightful place.

• Visited February 2013
Florida
“Not a place to sleep”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I purchased an overnight stay through Groupon and planned a trip with my friend. We were traveling from Sarasota and very excited due to the art atmosphere. I could write a lot of details, but suffice to say - this is not a place you would want to spend the night. It was extremely dirty, the mattress was ancient, the bedding was terrible - I felt like I was visiting my son's dorm room. Within 15 minutes of checking in, we contacted a hotel beach side and left. I contacted Groupon and they refunded my money. The store was cute, but trust me, you do not want to sleep here (unless they have completed some major remodeling/cleaning since we were here) - but they are very nice people!! I wish I had written this review sooner, but they were such nice people I felt bad to do it, but after reading the review from lisk, I see that they haven't changed anything, even though I did send them a personal report as to why we left.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Floridayaya
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“Anchor for the Historic Kenwood area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

It is a very interesting place. Pottery and art shop and cafe. Can get light fare, some beers, any coffee type drink, teas, ciders. Live music, great acts play here. Warm, friendly atmosphere. Go there and buy your wife a really nice gift (a little pricey, but unique gifts), stay and have lunch, sign up for a pottery class. Sounds quirky. It is. But really a neat place.

Visited November 2012