“Cockroaches”

Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I spent two weeks at this hotel-August and I will never go back. There was a huge cockroach in my first suite; I told the front desk at 8am and when I returned to the room 2 hours later the very large cockroach was still walking around my shower. The front desk staff moved me to a new suite (for people with disabilities, which I told them I am not disabled) and after one night a large cockroach was again in my bathroom. This place smells like rotten eggs (sulfer) most of the time. Also, the food here was absolutely horrible; the wings were thick with batter and the grilled cheese was more like plastic cheese. I am not a fussy traveler and I have visited Mexico and Cuba many times with no cockroaches and excellent food. I absolutely do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Jennymclark
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience in Florida. We dislike Palmetto Bugs as much as you do. These insects do not like living indoors but can indeed fly into rooms as doors are opened. We have asked our pest control to treat the outside area so that we can discourage a repeat visit. Our Canadian visitors are always intrigued by the various differences nature throws at Floridians.

Our chicken wings are always served "naked" (without batter). We purchase some of the meatiest wings available. These have become a favorite of locals and tourists alike. If you had batter on your wings, they were not prepared or served here.

Florida is a great place to visit and live. Being positioned right on Tampa Bay and occasionally having to deal with the smell of seaweed is challenging and beautiful, all at the same time.

Thanks again for your comments and allowing us an opportunity to reply.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

What Florida is all about! When visiting the St. Pete/Tampa area, I always stay at the Magnuson Hotel and Marina. Very convenient location, close to everything, shopping, dining, beaches, the bay. Best part is you never have to leave the hotel, the restaurant is fantastic and has a wide variety of food for the whole family. Enjoy the two sparkling pools, a playground for the kids, and a playground for the adults at the Napa Hut, a lively open air bar with a fantastic view, especially at sunset. The staff is warm and welcoming and the rooms are great with plenty of outlets for charging everyone's devices! Recommend a room on the point, your patio is right on the water. There is even a marina for those who care to float in. No complaints, just praise for this resort, without the resort prices and headaches.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Okinawa2009
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We are so happy you enjoyed our property. We do have everything you need for your stay right here at the Magnuson! The view is so beautiful! Come back and see us soon!!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

A group of friends and family stayed for the Labor Day Weekend. Very convenient location for boating activities. Restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations and some area atractions are within couple minutes from the hotel. Excellent service, very helpful and friendly staff. Rooms were little outdated but clean. Price is reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank shelian00
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your great review! We are so happy you enjoyed our hotel. Please come back and see us soon! Our staff would love to have you back with us!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room stunk, outside smelled like sulphur, yes we forgot the 'do not disturb sign' but yelling quite loud "sorry we're in here" 4 times should've stopped the very loud knocking. I don't see many places that, even if they don't have conditioner, don't have a shampoo plus conditioner. Have signs about not washing towels if they're hung up, but took our 3 large towels away, even though they were hanging, and didn't replace them. Way too expensive for services/quality/amenities.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank ErinOO7
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I brought my daughter to Eckerd for her 3rd year. I wanted to stay someplace closer to the school as it was only two nights and from experience, it's easier to stay closer to the school. When I first drove up, I was concerned. The outside wasn't what I expected. Pretty dated. But much to my surprise, I had a lovely room, facing the water and the pool. A little noisy but it's a family place so to be expected. Liked the restaurant and the outside bar. Had a nice balcony that I mostly enjoyed. Everyone very friendly. I thought I found the place that I will stay for my quick trips there since I was like 10 minutes to the school. However, what will stop me from coming back is the smell. I believe the waste water treatment plant is nearby and I think that is the smell - not the water but maybe that contributes. My 2nd night I had to shut off the air conditioner to my room as it smelled so bad it woke me up. Luckily it was cool enough already in the room and I had a ceiling fan. I know it's beyond their control and it's really too bad because other than that, it's a really nice place for the price! I wish I could say I would be back but I don't think my sense of smell will allow it.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room to get a better view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Reg1101
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

THank you so much for your review. We are sorry about the smell from the bay. With the heavy rains and tides we do experierience it this time of year. We have a tractor that takes the seaweed away but again it depends on the tides if we can get the tractor out on the beach. It just seems to happen in the very hot months that we have this problem . We hope to have you back with us! The view is so beautiful and so relaxing!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

After searching through numerous hotel reviews in St.Petersburg my fiance and I finally decided on this one because of the reasonable price and the attractiveness of the "private beach". I had read reviews of other hotels similar in price/amenities but they had gotten negative comments on noise and loud partiers, which this hotel had none. I will say if you are looking for a quiet, peaceful hotel this is a good fit. It is more secluded that most hotels in the area. I was a little let down when I saw the "private beach" because it is actually just a small man made area that you can't even sit on because of the seaweed and the smell. We stayed at this hotel 4 days and on the last evening of our stay we did see a tractor attempting to clean up the seaweed. We had chosen the option for a waterfront view but were displeased to find our room actually faced a small boat harbor (which I guess technically is a water view but not what I was anticipating). We asked the staff if we could change rooms to the other side of the hotel that actually faced the water and they were happy to change us over with no problem. Also, the room that we stayed in was in a different building than that main one, so to get to the room you had to walk through the pool/playground area every time. Our room was on the second floor and there was not an elevator in that building. I have no complaints about the actual room, it was clean and comfortable. There is an on site bar and restaurant which we did not use. This hotel would also be nice for families that have children as there are 2 pools and a playground area. Overall, I'm in the middle of the road about this stay. The price wasn't outrageous and the room itself was okay. The smell outside can almost ruin any chance of being in the pool/beach area. I think if we were to come back we will probably pay a little more for a stay directly on the beach and take a chance with the noise.

Room Tip: Be sure to confirm that your water view room is not actually facing the harbor, unless you're ok...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TNTraveler2003
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am sorry about the smell from the seaweed. WIth the rain and the high temperatures it sometimes causes us to come across this sitation this time of year. We have a tractor that does clean up the beach of the seaweed. It depends on the tides when we can get the tractor out there on the beach. The smell now is gone along with the seaweed, We hope you get to come see us again, We all would love to have you back here at the Magnuson!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here one night on a college tour. It was a very convenient location and we chose it for that reason alone but I would definitely recommend it for a short stay. The staff was super friendly and our room, while dated, was nice and clean and quiet. We had a great view of the pool and the bay for a very reasonable rate. As it was bad weather, we didn't have a chance to use the pools, but they looked clean and inviting. The landscaping around the grounds was lovely and well kept. We had dinner at the restaurant and it was very good. Breakfast was pretty good, too, although I would skip the blueberry pancakes (very doughy, funny flavor and canned blueberries) but the French toast was good.

Overall, it is a good place to stay if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor -- you'll have a better view and it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alexandrasmom817
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments! Please come back and see us soon!