“Save your $$$”

Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Save your $$$”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room stunk, outside smelled like sulphur, yes we forgot the 'do not disturb sign' but yelling quite loud "sorry we're in here" 4 times should've stopped the very loud knocking. I don't see many places that, even if they don't have conditioner, don't have a shampoo plus conditioner. Have signs about not washing towels if they're hung up, but took our 3 large towels away, even though they were hanging, and didn't replace them. Way too expensive for services/quality/amenities.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank ErinOO7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Dalton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I brought my daughter to Eckerd for her 3rd year. I wanted to stay someplace closer to the school as it was only two nights and from experience, it's easier to stay closer to the school. When I first drove up, I was concerned. The outside wasn't what I expected. Pretty dated. But much to my surprise, I had a lovely room, facing the water and the pool. A little noisy but it's a family place so to be expected. Liked the restaurant and the outside bar. Had a nice balcony that I mostly enjoyed. Everyone very friendly. I thought I found the place that I will stay for my quick trips there since I was like 10 minutes to the school. However, what will stop me from coming back is the smell. I believe the waste water treatment plant is nearby and I think that is the smell - not the water but maybe that contributes. My 2nd night I had to shut off the air conditioner to my room as it smelled so bad it woke me up. Luckily it was cool enough already in the room and I had a ceiling fan. I know it's beyond their control and it's really too bad because other than that, it's a really nice place for the price! I wish I could say I would be back but I don't think my sense of smell will allow it.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room to get a better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Reg1101
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
THank you so much for your review. We are sorry about the smell from the bay. With the heavy rains and tides we do experierience it this time of year. We have a tractor that takes the seaweed away but again it depends on the tides if we can get the tractor out on the beach. It just seems to happen in the very hot months that we have this problem . We hope to have you back with us! The view is so beautiful and so relaxing!
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

After searching through numerous hotel reviews in St.Petersburg my fiance and I finally decided on this one because of the reasonable price and the attractiveness of the "private beach". I had read reviews of other hotels similar in price/amenities but they had gotten negative comments on noise and loud partiers, which this hotel had none. I will say if you are looking for a quiet, peaceful hotel this is a good fit. It is more secluded that most hotels in the area. I was a little let down when I saw the "private beach" because it is actually just a small man made area that you can't even sit on because of the seaweed and the smell. We stayed at this hotel 4 days and on the last evening of our stay we did see a tractor attempting to clean up the seaweed. We had chosen the option for a waterfront view but were displeased to find our room actually faced a small boat harbor (which I guess technically is a water view but not what I was anticipating). We asked the staff if we could change rooms to the other side of the hotel that actually faced the water and they were happy to change us over with no problem. Also, the room that we stayed in was in a different building than that main one, so to get to the room you had to walk through the pool/playground area every time. Our room was on the second floor and there was not an elevator in that building. I have no complaints about the actual room, it was clean and comfortable. There is an on site bar and restaurant which we did not use. This hotel would also be nice for families that have children as there are 2 pools and a playground area. Overall, I'm in the middle of the road about this stay. The price wasn't outrageous and the room itself was okay. The smell outside can almost ruin any chance of being in the pool/beach area. I think if we were to come back we will probably pay a little more for a stay directly on the beach and take a chance with the noise.

Room Tip: Be sure to confirm that your water view room is not actually facing the harbor, unless you're ok...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TNTraveler2003
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am sorry about the smell from the seaweed. WIth the rain and the high temperatures it sometimes causes us to come across this sitation this time of year. We have a tractor that does clean up the beach of the seaweed. It depends on the tides when we can get the tractor out there on the beach. The smell now is gone along with the seaweed, We hope you get to come see us again, We all would love to have you back here at the Magnuson!
Lexington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here one night on a college tour. It was a very convenient location and we chose it for that reason alone but I would definitely recommend it for a short stay. The staff was super friendly and our room, while dated, was nice and clean and quiet. We had a great view of the pool and the bay for a very reasonable rate. As it was bad weather, we didn't have a chance to use the pools, but they looked clean and inviting. The landscaping around the grounds was lovely and well kept. We had dinner at the restaurant and it was very good. Breakfast was pretty good, too, although I would skip the blueberry pancakes (very doughy, funny flavor and canned blueberries) but the French toast was good.

Overall, it is a good place to stay if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor -- you'll have a better view and it will be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alexandrasmom817
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments! Please come back and see us soon!
Acton, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Dropped off daughter at Eckerd college this weekend. This is closest hotel. The service is good the two pools are nice, plus a playground if you have young kids. Breakfast not included, but tried it twice and food was very good, as was service. Had a second floor room two dbles. Room was dated. Adequate water pressure and hot water. Clean towels. Beds were comfy. Air conditioner worked well. Tv had about 30 channels and hbo. Small fridge and safe were useful. Balcony facing pool was good to dry bathing suit. Room adequate, dated, nothing special.

The beach was disappointing. This green stuff in the water was getting washed up by the ton, and smelled really bad. Made it undesirable to try the beach at all. Walked around to see they have tennis courts too, which looked in ok condition. They also rent bikes, which were overpriced by the hour, but only 25$ for the day.

Overall it was a good value. Next time I think I will try something a bit more upscale, but I would stay here again. Easy on off the highway 275 too.

Room Tip: I liked second floor, had pool view and no one above me walking on floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jbcampo
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments! We are glad you had a nice stay. Please come back and see us soon. We would love to have you back!
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to Tampa. I picked this hotel for the price and for the lovely beach image that is displayed in pictures when researching this hotel. While the price was right on, the beach was a HUGE disappointment. It is right in a corner and gets debris and sea weed washed into it...and it stinks. I didn't spend any time on this tiny beach or in the water at all.
The other downside to this hotel is that there is nothing within walking distance. You cannot go walking around to see anything because there is nothing around to see. I felt that the area was safe but isolated.

What I liked about this hotel were its lovely grounds. Although we didn't use the pools much, they were nice and the landscaping around them were very pretty. We ate breakfast each morning in the hotel restaurant and this was always pleasant. I liked being at a table that was next to the marina. The staff was very friendly and we must have talked to one of the grounds workers for more than an hour one night. The hotel also has a FANTASTIC view of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.
Since we had a rental car it was so easy to bop across to the St. Pete beach area with more to do. Definitely had to be careful with drinks since we then had to drive back to the hotel.

Summing it up: their beach/water area is horrible-don't stay here for that. But if you want a cheap place to stay and will have a car to get to the better beach areas, then this hotel wouldn't be too bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a room right along the water facing the bridge! So pretty.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 852laurav
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your review on our hotel. We are sorry that our beach did not meet your expectations. This time of year with the storms and the heat we do have seaweed but we also have a tractor that removes the seawood daily depending on the tides. We do suggest that most people rent a car as we are 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and a a couple of miles from stores and restaurants. We do have a restaurant and deli here on property but there is so much to see in St. Petersburg that renting a car would problably be best. Thank you for your comments on our staff. They all take great pride in our hotel. The scenery is unbeleivable and we are so happy you enjoyed it. Come back and see us soon! We really enjoyed having you here at the Magnuson!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Smell all throughout hotel is horrendous -- rotten fish guts. Phone doesn't work -- can't even call front desk. Lobby computers were broken. Wifi is so slow that we do laundry while a page loads. Dog friendly but only inside the room. Small beds. Bumpy pillows. Stained curtains. Ants on carpet. waterfront is really a view of a smelly stagnant water gulf. Expensive laundry fee. Didn't get room service except more towels. Coffee sucks, diluted. Yea, it's just a room to stay in for the night, but it makes me sad to come back to it after a great day at the beach. Definitely not worth the $100+ per night.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Haenac95
We are sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations. I wish you had contacted management while you were here to address the problems you were having. I will go over your review with my management team here at the hotel!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Petersburg
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Flamingo Resort
Flamingo Resort
#29 of 42 in St. Petersburg

Been to Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove? Share your experiences!