“Don't book it”

Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Smell all throughout hotel is horrendous -- rotten fish guts. Phone doesn't work -- can't even call front desk. Lobby computers were broken. Wifi is so slow that we do laundry while a page loads. Dog friendly but only inside the room. Small beds. Bumpy pillows. Stained curtains. Ants on carpet. waterfront is really a view of a smelly stagnant water gulf. Expensive laundry fee. Didn't get room service except more towels. Coffee sucks, diluted. Yea, it's just a room to stay in for the night, but it makes me sad to come back to it after a great day at the beach. Definitely not worth the $100+ per night.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Haenac95
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

We are sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations. I wish you had contacted management while you were here to address the problems you were having. I will go over your review with my management team here at the hotel!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night with a large group and were overall pleased. The resort is very dated but the staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. The pools were very nice and the little cove beach area was also very nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Longland
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We really enjoyed having your group here at the Magnuson! We do have a wonderful staff here at the hotel.. They take great pride in our hotel. Please come back and see us soon! We look forward to having you back with us!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

As everyone has stated previously.....it's dated...looks about late 80s or early 90s and the outside painting reminded me of a circus...all that being said we had a nice visit there. The room was clean, the tv fine for our use. The Internet was horrible, I could get a signal in my room in one spot of the room, but our other party right next door could not. The view was spectacular, the beach area...was a joke it was seaweedy most of our visit and stunk. The staff was friendly and the morning restaurant staff was great....the evening staff could use some training. The last night we were there we had an issue with an odd man milling about. Called security and was not comforted by the response I got. The man was definitely prowling about, whether he was a guest or not I was never told. In fact I never got any resolution as I asked the next morning and no one could tell us anything. I felt that the security staff was not trained to handle the situation at all. I also felt that law enforcement should have been called if they did not feel comfortable confronting the man. That was a bit worrisome for me, as I had my 18 year old daughter and her friend along. Made me rethink the isolated area. The door to the balcony did have a nice lock on it, so inside our room I did feel secure...but it creeped us out that this guy was wandering around.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary C
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

I want to thank you for your comments and your concerns. We are sorry for the internet problems you had. We had a lightening strike that hit one of our access points causing our internet interruptions. We are in the process of getting it taking care of now. The man that you saw was a guest that had a little to much celebration and couldnt locate his room. Our security directed him to his room. We hope to have you and your family back for a visit.. We enjoyed having you. !

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend as we were in town for the Tigers vs Rays games. The location was ideal for us as we wanted to be close to the Trop as well as to St. Pete beach for day trips. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly. We ate breakfast at the restaurant on site and it was reasonably priced and very good. The pools were always busy but were a little bit dirty for my taste. Our room was clean but had a very odd odor to it. We bought a couple air fresheners at a nearby grocery store and just dealt with it. The odor has something to do with the seaweed rotting in the bay. Overall, the hotel was decent and we would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kim g
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you had a great time. Being just five miles from Tropicana Field it really does make it nice for our guests to enjoy the games. We are sorry for the odor. Being on the bay and the storms we have been having we do have an issue with the seaweed. We do have a tractor that removes the seaweed from the beach daily. It just depends on the tides. We seem to only have this problem this time of year. Please come back and see us soon! I will make make sure I share the comments you have with our staff
See you soon!!!!!.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our second time hosting our reunion at this hotel. The staff was great and I can't stop giving the chef all the praises that are due to him. The food was excellent, my family really enjoyed the our banquet. We had a great time!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much Christine :-)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Sasha_Fl

We enjoyed having your family reunion with us for the second time. Thank you so much for your comments. I will make sure I tell David and Christine what a great job they did. Our staff takes great pride in our hotel. I hope we will see you soon for your third family reunion. It was a pleasure having you all with us!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had to come to St Pete for the weekend and found this place what a great find!!! Very nice and clean a little dated but what the hack so am I. If you looking for a nice place to stay without spending a fortune this is it, Not a 5 star resort but so nice that we booked 2 nights and are staying 2 more its that good!!!! Someone mentioned about the seaweed on the beach when we were here they cleaned it at least once, you just cant please all the people all the time,Has a couple of on sites places to eat drink which we found OK ,this is one of our best stays and we will be coming back enjoy!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BonitaNaples

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We have some great fishing spots near the hotel. The Skyway Bridge is one of them. The view from the beach bar is unbeleivable. Great place to just relax and enjoy the scenery. Come back and see us soon!!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here with two friends while on two week fishing trip with friends from the Keys, Orlando to Tampa and St Petersburg. The hotel has two pools and a hot tub, a Tiki bar on stilts by the beach looking out to the Skyway Bridge. Found prices reasonable in restaurant, bar and for the room per night. Room roughly £46 per night for two adults and two children. Can not fault this hotel for location, Price and Amenities.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Looeterry
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your great review. We are so happy you had such a great time! We like to think of our hotel as the "hidden gem" of Tampa Bay. Please come back and see us again soon! We look forward to having you!