“Vroom!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
St Petersburg Speedboat Adventure
Ranked #1 of 76 Tours in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the adventure of a lifetime on our Speed Boat Adventure Tour! On this guided and narrated tour with a twist, you are the captain of your own speedboat. Follow our trained and knowledgeable guides to experience the best of both worlds - the THRILL of driving your own speedboat, and the safety of having a skilled guide introduce you to the beauty of the Florida coast. Located in serene Tampa Bay, this 2 hour tour will take you by beautiful National Wildlife Refuges and pass by the historic Fort De Soto Park. You may see pods of bottle nose dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, sting rays, and numerous varieties of local birds. No boating experience necessary! Book a tour today to guarantee an unforgettable experience for the whole family!
Sarasota, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Vroom!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Today (1/20) my girlfriend and I went on the Tampa Speed Boat Adventures Tour located in St. Pete near Fort Desoto/Eckerd College. As a Business Analyst, I always I try to leave thorough reviews and suggestions.

Staff - 5 stars for the group of guys running the show. Chris does an excellent job at managing the front of the house and is quick to return calls/emails. He also provided a group discount quote in case we decide to bring our friends next time. Tony was our captain for the day and was very knowledgeable. You couldn't ask for a better team.

Tour - Although I'm from the area and know the landmarks that were discussed, it's great to just get out and enjoy the water and speed. Tony was pointing out dolphins so well that it almost seemed like they were rigged for the tour haha. At one point we drove at full throttle in a slalom/zig-zag fashion and that was a lot of fun. Bring your camera's for sure!

Boats - The boats are F13 speed boats and are just right for this type of event. Note that for taller guys (I'm 6') you may be a bit uncomfortable since the leg room is limited and the dash gets in the way. You'll find a way to maneuver your legs though so don't let that deter you from going. If you're 6'5" or something then don't bother. We were in the red one (gas gauge is broken but no worries and the speaker is a bit hard to hear sometimes but that may have been because we were the last boat and the distance was significant. Not to mention the captain is going full speed as well). Tony was in the yellow one, and two other boats were in white ones. They had 1 adult and 2 small kids in each of their boats.

Price - This event was found on Groupon and was half off ($64 for 2 people) which turned out to be a good deal. Note that there is a $10 dock fee per boat when you arrive so be sure to bring cash (also so you can tip the tour guide). In my opinion, the original price is a bit high and would only go if there is another Groupon. To me, if you're just the passenger it would be a bit high to pay around $35 an hour to sit. Hopefully they offer 40-50% off for repeat customers similar to what the Segway company downtown does. This is why we have gone 3 times with them already and brought friends this last time.

Additional - Parking is free and plentiful. Their website makes it super easy to reserve a date & time or you can just call since they're great at scheduling. Not once did we get wet and we wore jeans and sneakers since it was a little chilly out (65 degrees). Just something to note if you plan on going but think it would be best to wait since it's cold right now. Don't worry about having to wear flip flops or a bathing suit. If you wear a hat, you may want to turn it backwards since it may fly off or you can sit it between your lap when going fast like I did.

All in all it was a fantastic experience and I look forward to going back. Hopefully they change up the route now and then so it wouldn't get boring for returning customers or the tour guides as well.

Thanks for a wonderful Sunday!

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“Definitely a MUST!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I were just visiting the area and decided to try this. It was absolutely fantastic! Definitely a must do! My husband and I loved the entire experience! We saw dolphins and tons of wildlife! The tour guide was fantastic! Very knowledgeable about the area and talked you through the entire trip. I loved everything about it! Such a great idea, we loved being out on the water, driving our own boat and you don't need any prior boating experience! We will definitely be back! The owner actually picked us up since they are working on the bridge just so we could do it! I would definitely recommend this to anyone and kids were welcome! xoxo

Madison, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I were in the area for our anniversary and read about Speed Boat Adventures in one of the vacation guides. We arrived without a reservation a little after 1pm so requested to go on the 3pm tour as the 1pm tour had just left.

To our surprise, Captain Scott offered to take us out right then and there so we got a private tour. After the appropriate safety review, we were on our way. My husband drove and I was the photographer. Amazing views! We saw at least a dozen dolphins up close and we were able to stop to take pictures and talk about the area. The trip out to the bridge was amazing. As others have said, it was a blast. Opportunity to stroll in the no wake areas and to go full throttle in the open waters.

Captain Scott pointed out other areas of interest including Ft DeSoto Park and a nearby restaurant. We did have dinner there and went to the park to watch the sunset.

Excellent customer service. Well worth the money and time spent. We'd highly recommend this adventure and look forward to returning to the area to do it again in the future! Thanks for the incredible experience.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Absolutely Beautiful and a BLAST!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

A few of my closest friends and I went out for a Speedboat Adventure with Captain Scott and Chris and thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! The speedboats are two seaters and allow passengers to experience the thrill of 'driving', following your captain along the waterways of brilliantly stunning St. Petersburg. We all could feel our adrenaline pumping as we climbed into the boats and became comfortable with the feel of steering and playing with the throttle, cruising at lazy speeds passing by beautiful homes, and then when we hit the open waters it was full throttle on! This is an experience that allows your inner child and dare devil to take center stage! Captain Scott maintains a eye on his followers at all times and is a terrific leader, so any nervousness that creeps in disappears very quickly and by the end you never want to get off of the water! We all look forward to many more Speedboat Adventures, definitely introduce this to visitors and locals alike! It is a absolute blast, and you will soak in gorgeous surroundings from a unique viewpoint!

Bratislava
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Truly remarkable attraction, lots of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This tour lets you drive a speed boat yourself for around a hour across waters of Tampa bay, while listening to some interesting facts about wildlife of those waters, history of some constructions, islands, etc. If you are lucky enough you'll even see dolphins on your way and have a chance to stop near them to have an up close experience.

Owner of this place Chris and tour guide cpt. Tony were really friendly and professional, this tour is definitely worth the money and you should do it!