“so much potential...”

The Hangar Restaurant & Flight Lounge
Ranked #47 of 961 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located at the St. Petersburg Albert Whitted Airport, overlooking the runway to Tampa Bay waterfront. We are adjacent to USF St Petersburg Campus and All Children's Hospital and Bayfront Hospital, and close to St. Anthony's Hospital. Jazz Jam session every Monday night. Our Executive Chef Matthew Smith creates beautiful daily specials.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I want to like this place. I live close by and have eaten here 3 times. Each time it was with a child who I knew would like the view of the airport. I wont go back unless its with another kid that loves planes as the view is currently the only reason to go.

The menu is decent but overpriced; the food is never as good as it sounds on the menu. The sourdough bread has been stale both times I tried it. The BLT had limp, greasy bacon, mealy tomato and iceberg lettuce. Today I had the special: shrimp cakes. They tasted ok (needed more sauce on top for flavor) but they were mostly breading and too little shrimp.

I hope that some changes can be made because this place could really be something special if the food was better.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've been here before for breakfast and lunch and found the food good, the atmosphere clean and light and the airfield setting fun. Last night (a Monday) was only my second DINNER experience at the Hangar ... and on both occasions I thought the menu was inspired and the food delicious. I was in the mood for their fried chicken and waffle ... which is saying a lot since my husband and I eat "flexitarian" -- which is 90% vegan and 10% whatever we want. The meal was as delicious as I remembered (be sure to use the maple syrup!), but the mixed green salad, which seemed to have a homemade raspberry viniagrette this time, was a new highlight for me. My husband had the basil salmon, also wonderful! The menu offers a variety of choices, making it good for a group (small or large). I LOVE the casual ambiance -- lots of folks in shorts -- though the last time I went was on a weekend, and dress-up felt equally appropriate. Last night there was a sole musician, singing and playing guitar -- very nice music at low volume, tastefully done so as not to interfere with dinner conversation. A+ in my book!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

right from your table you get to watch small planes take off and land from the airport. Food is good, been there for lunch and breakfast.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just came back from our lunch at the hangar. This is a great place for lunch specially with children. It is great to see all the planes land and take off. The food is good nothing spectacular. The service is ok. I will avoid night time. It's not worth it specially with so many other great options in town.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and they are all good. We like to go out for breakfast in unique places, and this is special. The coffee and food are good, and, depending on the day, you can watch a steady stream of small aircraft taking off and landing. The restaurant is located very near the runway. Anyone interested in flying our aircraft would find this especially interesting.