“I would rath hit the Taco Bell drive thru!!!”
Review of Estela's Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican
Description: (727) 578-5380 estelasmexican.com‎
Description: (727) 578-5380 estelasmexican.com‎
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

So this is based off of eating her two times. I totally understand the need/want of Americanized Mexican food. I'm normally a fan but this place takes that concept and just delivers such sub par results I don't know how they have more than 1 location!!!

At first glance it looks like it should be great! The decor is nice, the menu has a lot to offer and the servers appear friendly!

The salsa and chips are very bland. I'm sure there is more than tomato in the salsa but that's all it appears to be! There is also not a ton of flavor even for the thinner cantina style salsa. The chips are fine, could use more salt though but I love salt so I won't blame them for that.

We ordered the queso dip with jalapeños to start. I'm normally not a HUGE queso fan and their queso is a perfect example of why! It's very velveeta-esque, like most are, and maybe there were jalapeños in it but I didn't see them and there was no heat at all.

I ordered a combination dinner of a chicken chalupa, chicken burrito and a chili relleno. Well, I think they got it wrong because my chalupa was more like a tostada. It wasn't bad, probably the best thing on the plate which isn't saying much. There was a sauce on the burrito which spread all over the plate so the chalupa/tostada was super soggy. The burrito sauce tasted like an Italian tomato sauce and made the tortilla so wet it became very paste like. The overall burrito was just not good. I took 2 bites just because I felt obligated. As for the chili relleno, there has never been such disappointment!!! First off it I didn't realize until looking at the menu AFTER we left the restaurant that you can order it "American Style" or "Authentic." WELL, American style is basically a piece of green pepper, ground beef, covered in velveeta. If you want authentic they charge you $2 more. If they had old me there was a difference I would have ordered the authentic because what I got was nothing short of a disaster.

This is probably the harshest review I have ever given but it is based on 2 visits of equally poor food. There was no reason to complain to management because I truly believe they think this is good American style Mexican! If they do, that's fine. However here's my parting words, if you want authentic Mexican, go to Red Mesa. I haven't found a good taco/burrito place yet but Taco Bell will definitely see me before this place ever does!

1  Thank Ahansen03

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I recently moved to within a mile of Estela's, so I gave the place a try. I enjoyed it so much that I've now been going there about once ever two weeks.

Each visit I sat at the bar, and the waiter/bartender has always been attentive and efficient.

I always order one of their combo platters for around $11.71, which includes three of the "basic" Mexican fare items along with great salsa and exceedingly fresh tortilla chips. The food has been good to excellent all around. The also serve considerably higher-priced dinners, but I have not tried them.

So far, I've only gone right after work, which means happy hour, during which I order their special two margaritas for $5.00. Not a bad deal. After that time I believe they are about $7.50 for one margarita. I had one of their desserts and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Estela's ambience is Spartan but it's OK for a date or general night out. Surprisingly, there were very few patrons each time I was there.

Regardless, I recommend Estela's Mexican in St Petersburg FL.

1  Thank David4477
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I should have heeded the warnings on Foursquare that it was mediocore at best. Well, first of all it was expensive! Family of three had lunch and it was nearly $40! (Yes, that makes us stupid) But never the less, my son ordered the "sliders" hamburger lunch. They brought him two "patties" that looked like something that they would throw out after lunch in a school cafeteria! It was on ONE bun with nothing else...crappy meat, crappy bun, here is your lunch kid! When I commented on the lack of stuff on the burger, the waiter brought my poor son a packet of mustard and mayo?!!! The menu offered onion rings as a side, none to be had.
My husband and I ordered from the menu and got what we asked for, but it wasn't anything to write home about AND it was super small portions. It is the first time I have been in a Mexican restraunt that didn't give both rice and beans. The waiter didn't even ask me which I preferred?
I hated to even pay for the meal. But I did, and I tipped as well (despite poor service, but he didn't get the traditional 20+% that is for certain!) I REALLY wish I had thought to take pictures of the poor boy's lunch.

1  Thank pwife9819
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We went here on the recommendation of a friend and hated it. The service was horrible and the waitress was rude. The food was mediocre and expensive. We have since gone to the one in Tampa on Dale Mabry and it was much better. The waiter there was personable and the food was far better.Stay away from the one in St. Pete.

1  Thank Tim570