“Delicious and reasonably priced”
Review of Red Mesa Cantina

Red Mesa Cantina
Ranked #14 of 931 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican, Peruvian
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Avenue South
Transit: Free Public Transportation for Tropicana Field sporting events, i.e., Rays games, one block away. A municipal PTSA bus stop is across the street at Publix. Taxi’s all know Cantina.
Description: With Mexican cuisine at its heart, Red Mesa Cantina blends Latin and Caribbean kitchen traditions to create a menu of exquisite ceviches, tacos, and small plate classics that deliver bold, fresh flavors. An award winning, word-of-mouth favorite among locals and visitors alike with the most extensive selection of Tequilas in the South!
Reviewed February 18, 2014

A great dinner stop with colleagues following a full day meeting. Fabulous outdoor bar for happy hour. Dinner was delicious and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Four of us visited the Red Mesa Cantina while visiting downtown St. Petersburg for the weekly Farmers' Market. It had been recommended by a local. It is a large restaurant with a great deal of seating both inside and out. It was a cool day so we opted to eat inside but the outside area looked very pleasant and would have eaten out if it had been just a little warmer. For beverages, we chose bloody mary's, red sangria, and draft beer. The blood marys were very good and spicy. The person who had the sangria commented that it was good but not the best she had had. We ordered chips and salsa and chips and guacamole for appetizers. The salsa and the guacamole were both very tasty. The chips were just average. For an entree, I ordered the shrimp and crab quesadilla with a jalapeno cream sauce served open face. It was very good and I highly recommend it. The other diners ordered the Cuban sandwich, the fish taco, and the steak quesadilla. All other diners were pleased with their meals.

The inside of the restaurant is quite large with very highly ceilings and seemed a bit noisy. The service was okay not super but they were very busy.

I also was surprised that there were only two restrooms on the ground floor...one marked for women...the other for men/women...the men were then directed to a restroom on the second floor. Even at lunch I had to wait several minutes for a restroom to become available. I can't imagine what it would be like at night with many so more people. I guess I wouldn't say this was a deal breaker but I sure think more attention could have been paid to the number of restrooms they had with as much property as the restaurant covers.

All in all, however, this was a good visit and I would not hesitate to recommend it or to return another time.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stopped in for late lunch after reading TripAdvisor reviews. We were hoping (and craving) something other than standard Tex-Mex and were not disappointed. We started with spicy Micheladas. We shared Bombas (fried potato balls) and, at the server's suggestion, Mofongo (caritas, mashed yucca and plaintain with sweet-tart chimichurri). Fantastic! And so were the tacos: duck with pineapple, goat cheese and red chili jelly; pulled pork with guacamole, cilantro onion, radish and seared ahi with soy-orange coulis, wasabi mayo, pico de gallo and greens.

Service was prompt and pleasant and prices fair. A winner!

1  Thank Roberta D
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The outdoor setting is one of the nicest I have ever seen. Fountains, waterfalls, and tables spread out to keep things quiet and private. On the flip side, if you have to eat inside its noisy, crowded and generally not pleasant setting. The food was very good. I suggest having one [or more] of the small tacos. The pork was excellent, the duck unusual and good. For main I had a mahi-mahi sandwich. It was good, but a bit heavy on sauce. Lady had shrimp wrap - good and lots of shrimp. The food combined with the settings would get them to excellent category... but the service was very poor. Slow, unfriendly, missed items - you could tell the guy wanted to be somewhere else - he said so, "I have to be here for three more hours". Need to fix him.

1  Thank Morgan2010
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stopped in to Red Mesa prior to a concert. There was a crowd for a Wednesday night but we were seated right away. We were in a hurry so the waitress took our order all at once. The drinks came out after the food and our appetizer never came. The food and drinks we had were good. The waitress really talked up the open-faced shrimp and crab quesadilla so we were disappointed not to try it. We will definitely be back when in St. Pete again. Very cool place especially when seated outside by the fountain.