“Beautiful, clean, great walking paths!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fort de Soto Park Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Petersburg
Fort de Soto Park Campground
Henniker
“Beautiful, clean, great walking paths!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We've been here several times and have always liked it. The Rangers are friendly and professional. The maximum stay is two weeks. There is a pet area and a no pet area, so be aware if you camp with your pet. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SunshineKodiak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Wow! I was told to come here & I am glad I did! The camping spots are great & I did get one right on the water! This was last minute & midweek. They reserve 10% of their sites for walk-in (2-3 day stay) customers FYI but in the future I will reserve early if I know I will visit just to guarantee a spot on the beach! For all types of campers too! 15, 30, 50 amp & water hookups at all sites. 2 dump sited on location. I brought my bike which there is plenty of nicely paved paths for that, walking & rollerblading down to the Fort/ Beach. You could spend all day biking! I wish I had brought my kayak though. The water is pristine & I would have loved to have explored! Rentals are available but I just wish I had mine. A lot of birds! The nearest restaurants are grouped about 4 miles away (pass 50 cent toll so if you drive you will pay that again). I rode my bike there. If you come back at night just make sure to have lights because there are not any & it may be hard to see the path in some spots. I highly recommend this location for camping! It's beautiful here!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Mybell222
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a waterfront tent site #24 which had a beautiful view of the bayou. It can be fairly windy at times. Bathrooms were clean with plenty of hot water for free showers. Avoid the camp store- bring everything you need including firewood. If you forget things its worth a trip back up the road. There are no fire rings and you have to rent a fire bucket for $3 a day. Watch out for the overly friendly racoons who will come up to your site during the day while you are there, and wait for food (one sat at the table with us, unnoticed for a bit, while we ate) Park fee is included with access to beaches trails and fishing piers (normally $5 a day). we rented kayaks from inside the state park instead of the campground as it was cheaper. They gave us a camping discount of 20% off. There is a nice canoe trail that is easy to navigate called Soldiers hole in the park. There are bike trails that makes an easy trip from the campgroubd to the beaches and historic fort, which is worth a visit. Would camp here again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Dinner-For-Too
Lunenburg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Sites are a nice size. Two-week max makes it feel like you're actually among fellow campers...not a prefab deck or outdoor beer fridge in sight. We return each year. Great dog-friendly section and easy drive to an amazing dog-friendly beach. Clean washrooms and laundry facilities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank John G
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Beautiful 7 miles of white sand, gentle surf on the Fort DeSoto Beach. No fish smell like S.Padre or murky water of Galveston. I recently visited De Soto Beach in November. Water was invigorating for me as I am hot-skinned, others may find it chilly. Standing knee-deep I could see white sand-dollars on the white sea floor. Beach sand was soft, appeared clean. Kiddos will enjoy a bit of shelling. Plenty of parking, washing cabanas, playgrounds. The cost is gas for the drive, $1.50 tolls, $5.00 per car (note: if you visit after 4 p.m. as no one tending the booth the day we visited). Great resource was DrBeach.org for details on Florida's beaches.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank OntheGoCourtney
Conroe, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent a few hours there one day and found the park delightful. Perhaps because of the time of year we were there we experienced no bug problems as mentioned by other reviewers. Maybe the bugs are worse after dark and/or while camping. There are many things to see and do here. The old fort, the wildlife, the beaches, the camping, the picnic areas, the play ground, and the fishing pier, to name a few. Although it was a fully operational army fort at one time what remains are a few concrete buildings, some mortars and guns. The weapons are interesting but be sure to climb the steps to the top where you get a great view. The beaches are clean and the water is clear. We wished we had brought our swim suits. From the fishing pier we observed many dolphins and pelicans. We also enjoyed watching those fishing haul in their catch. It's a great place to bring the family and you can't beat the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The best campground I have ever been too. Try to get site on water. Nice breezes in fall and spring. Wooded sites. Washrooms have showers with hot water. Community room if it rains or if you just want to relax and read. Washrooms have washers and dryers.

Room Tip: Try during the week for waterfront site