“Worst Dining Experience in Memory”
Review of St. Pete Brasserie - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not one favorable comment can be made about a dining experience we had with friends at St. Pete Brasserie recently. The service was beyond bad. We had to wave for our waiter from the beginning. Our friends had drinks when we arrived, we had to wait for a waiter for at least 15 minutes before he took our drink order. It was downhill from there. My meal was inedible. The vegetable curry was mush. It was so salty that I could only handle a few bites. I won't return.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were wandering around the cool arts district on Central Ave, my kind of street, looking for a place to have lunch. We picked this place after we saw what was on the menu conveniently sitting on one of the outdoor tables. It was a beautiful day,and not being able to do it in our town in Ontario, we sat out on the sidewalk on New Year's Eve 2012 in this French style bistro. The waiter helped us choose what wine to have and helped decide what to eat. He was totally correct in all choices. It was fresh cooked food, and I must say, their signature burger was excellent. We discovered we were being served by the owner himself, and what a pleasure it was. Being our first visit to St. Pete's he filled us in about the area, and told us what to see that day and enlightened us about Weeki Wachee. I will definitely go there again when in town, and would like to live in that area for the rest of my life!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stopped early on a weeknight. The weather was beautiful, so we ate outside. The service was good and the menu eclectic. Prices seemed high for St. Pete; especially since everything was ala carte. However, there is an early dinner special where you can get any small entre (which list for<$23) and you also get bread, soup nd salad with it. That was a deal. The house salad was fresh, crisp, and cold with not too much vinegarrte dressing. The bread was crusty and warm. The pasta fagoile soup was thick and rich. My tuna entre was cooked perfectly but the Udon noodles and ponzu were overly salty. My wife's paella was good but not great. In a more sophisticated dining city, this place would be average. In St. Pete however, I'd have to say very good.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

While this restaurant is in an unassuming location, once you step inside, your are in a vary gracious and elegant setting. The waitstaff are very efficient and our described the food in glowing terms. He was right!
The duck confit was very delicious as was the beef bourginan. The portions were reasonable and the presentation lovely. We can;t wait to try additional entrees.
For dessert we had a lovely crepe cake---also quite lovely and tasty. We shared it and since it was quite rich, there was enough for each of us.
The price of the food was actually reasonable for the quality, the environment and the service.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is by far our favorite restaurant in St. Pete. It is located in downtown St. Pete's Central Avenue corridor. With its boutiques and art galleries Central is a nice bohemian and artsy contrast to the more crowded (and more expensive) Beach Ave. We've eaten here at least 40 times.

We've found the French-themed menu to be consistently very good and appreciate the unpretentious ambiance. My family lived in France for many years; my father raves about the escargot, served in a garlicy broth and not covered up and hidden by layers of pastry dough. The bone-in ribeye, from Niman ranch, is exceptional though it is so large (16 oz) I settle for a few bites from my spouse's plate rather than tackle it on my own (one day I will!) . Other favorites include: the petite filet, the St. Pete burger (with brie), and the duck breast. I was also very pleased to find baby roasted beets with my Australian lamb special.

The wine list is very good, and (yes!) heavy with French wines. It is nice that so many are available by the glass at a reasonable price (and at Happy Hour as well). The owner regularly brings in new wines (try to catch one of the wine tasting events). Let him know what you like and he'll give you a recommendation; he has even produced bottles for us that are not on the regular menu.

We find the service to be very good. Many of the staff have been there for years, this is unusual in the restaurant industry and certainly is nice for us 'regulars'. I've never felt rushed or had a check thrust under my nose while I'm still enjoying the rest of a bottle of wine (a pet peeve!).

I'll agree with "kemomom", this is the locals secret place. It is our own Latin Quarter bistro where eating and drinking "French" becomes part of daily life in St. Pete.