Tripadvisor
Search
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Impressive exhibits and docents

This is a lovely way to enjoy many styles of glassworks which are well-displayed and lit. We found... read more

Reviewed yesterday
AvaE27
Bradenton, Florida
via mobile
Love this place!

IMHO, this is a more interesting museum than the Chihuly. They have a few of his works, plus you... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago

from $65.65
from $61.54
from $45.00
More Info
All reviews glass art glass works first floor gettysburg address history of glass making paper weights free parking is available american craft surface lot share information beautiful glass beautiful exhibits blown glass pieces art scene on display showing how mixed media
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is a lot more diverse glass exhibit. There were a few pieces I have seen similar elsewhere, but there some that are totally unique for me. There are some pieces that must be seen in person, as a photo or video cannot capture the experience. It's important to view the pieces from different vantage points as many change significantly depending on the angle. Highly recommend. Free parking in the rear.

Date of experience: January 2020
ImagineMuseum-MEA, Marketing Mager at Imagine Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you Ginka! You are absolutely correct pictures or videos do not do some of our pieces justice. It really remarkable what these artist can do with glass!

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

Visited this exquisite museum on a Sunday afternoon, it was not too crowded and we were able to complete our visit in 2 hours plus a few more minutes in the gift shop. We enjoyed the collection and the special exhibits. I liked how the different artists are grouped together in a gallery and the natural progression of the art and techniques through the years. Most of the art shown is breath taking and unique. The staff were friendly and available for questions and explanations, free parking is available in the museum lot if you are driving in.

Date of experience: January 2020
ImagineMuseum-MEA, Marketing Manager at Imagine Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you Harbie! we are very glad you enjoyed your visit and do our best to make sure our guests have an amazing experince with us!

Reviewed January 10, 2020

I don't know what I was expecting, but the Imagine Museum really opened my mind to the amazing possibilities of glass. You can get up close and see the intricacies and details, as well as other large scale pieces. We really enjoyed the exhibit "Floating World" by artist Karen LaMonte as well as the wonderful "Portal Icosahendron" by Anthony James. Quite an enjoyable museum, will be sure to revisit the next time I am in St. Petersburg.

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank karynm354
ImagineMuseum-MEA, Marketing Manger at Imagine Museum, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Thank you Karynm354! We are so happy you enjoyed the collection. Karen LaMonte's floating world is a beautiful collection of work that has been moved to our grand hall!

Reviewed January 9, 2020

The Imagine Museum, a collection of contemporary American Studio Glass, is located on Central Avenue, just a few blocks away from the Moreau Arts Center which contains the Chihuly Collection. The Imagine features an ingenious display of blown, sculptured, fused and cast glass works from both American and International Glass Movement superstars and emerging contemporary artists the likes of Chihuly, Littleton, Morris, Labino and others, most of which I honesty haven't heard of before this exposure. What sets this Imagine collection on a pinnacle is its unique perspective of the 1960's to the present American Glass Movement that occurred right here, on the Central Avenue Grand Arts District, a feature that has dubbed this area the 'Glass Coast'.

Appealing to the beach bum in me, I revered the Imagine Museum exterior ocean-like exterior with its teal and blue coating. It is circumscribed with lush tropical greenery and a giant seaweed-looking wall mural further enhancing the coastal effect. The front face of the building has some great advertising pieces enticing visitors to go inside. The outside premises is not super exciting, like the Dali Museum, but it is clean, crisp and flows nicely with a windowed 'peek-a-boo' 1st floor. The halls and rooms of the Imagine are blessed with over 500 significant pieces of glass work on display in 9 galleries.

As I entered the Imagine, I immediately sensed a dimly lit Museum equipped with a lighting system that enabled the works to glow in an enhanced colourful viewing environment. I moved from room to room, gallery to gallery, assimilating as much glass art as I could without going into complete culture shock:

ROOM1 & ROOM2:... were devoted to the embryonic beginnings of the Glass Art Genre with bravado works by explorers like Harvey Littleton (considered the father of the glass movement). There its also small cadre of early, colour-tame works by Dale Chihuly,
ROOM3:... artists such as Morris, Zynsky, Dailey, Shafer and others, mentored by Chihuly, had their creative works displayed here.

From here, with a mountain of artist to pick from, I randomly pick out pieces that caught my eye including:
SHELLEY ALLEN:....a set of blown and sculptured horses..Imperial Blue was my fav,
RIK ALLEN:....jelly fish like sculpture with flowing tentacles...added an aquarium tone,
PAUL STANKARD:.. a collection of glass paper weights (his signature piece type) structured into a honeycomb housing tiny flower bouquets and honey bees that seem to come alive,
BRENT YOUNG:....a complex piece...with 100's of curlicued, intermingled, glass rods,
TIM TATE/VITRUVIAN VISIONS:...which explores mathematical infinity using glass figures and mirrors......looks like a space dimension from Star Wars,
OBEN ABRIGHT/MICHAEL(BLUE):... a sculpture of the common man....a blue-collar worker....the intensity of the piece made it come alive.....but where was the lunch pail in hand.

Each room is prominently tagged with a meaningful American quote like the one from Dale Chihuly: 'I never met a colour I didn't like' or a particularly appropriate one, from Albert Einstein: 'Imagination is more important than knowledge' and other quips.
This glass museum was exceptional. The bulk of artists and artistry, the imagination in the pieces and the diversity of work was amazing. The offerings ranged from beautiful to ugly, funny to perplexing......but they were not standard or boring. The Imagine Museum did a great job of portraying the career arc of the Studio Glass Movement through the bedazzling works on display as well as illuminating this story through the messages of the exhibiting glass artist themselves.

So, if you are prepared to be blown away by studio artists specializing in blown, fused and cast glass artwork...then try the...Imagine Museum...Where Imagination Runs Wild.

Date of experience: January 2020

Thank you Room-in my-suitcase! We very much appreciate the extensive and glowing review. We are very glad you enjoyed your visit and the outside of the building.

Reviewed January 9, 2020

This museum is, by far, so much better than the Chihuly museum. Much more interesting! We have previously visited both and chose to take our visiting son to the better one - you should too!

Date of experience: January 2020

Thank you! We are glad you enjoyed the museum and look forward to seeing you again with your son.