“Surprise -- We Loved It”
Review of The Dali Museum

The Dali Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: An unparalleled collection of Salvador Dali artworks, spanning his life and career, featuring works in many media. #TheDali
Reviewed July 23, 2013

While a typical day of fun would be more to the tune of paddleboarding or a theme park for my Family, we were absolutely mesmerized by the artistic wizardry of Salvador Dali.

As art museums go, it is relatively small. But where I may zip through an entire museum building and maybe stop to look at a few paintings anywhere else, I can say I actually stopped and studied each and every Dali print, drawing and sculpture in the museum. While I knew Dali did surrealistic stuff like melting watches, he could also paint with the same detail as a 12 megapixel camera. My daughter, a budding artist herself, seemed to really enjoy since she did an 8th Grade art project on Dali.

For 72 bucks, the four of us spent about 2.5 hours there and had a great time. I could have paid that much for a half-hour on a jetski to nowhere.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,311)
All reviews
in 76 reviews
"worth the trip"
in 74 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

1. The fact that my favorite piece of art requires and accent and flair of the hands to properly pronounce – Santiago El Grande. I think Mariachi’s should come out of a hallway or something for the complete effect.

2. He loves to hide things in his art. Nieuw Amsterdam is the bust of White Eagle sculpted by Charles Schreyvogel then painted on 75 years later by Dali. Dali transforms White Eagle’s face into an interior setting where two Dutch gentlemen toast each other. This however, is not readily visible. It takes a moment to realize it’s not war paint on White Eagle’s face but instead dinner time. Cleverly impressive!!

3. He has good old fashion God given talent. Not the paint-by-numbers talented like I have, but real talent. Several of his paintings look as though they were taken by a camera. His art comes alive when you look at it.

4. You can actually stare at his art. Let me explain…You know when you see someone staring at a piece of art that looks as if an elephant painted it and they seem so engaged…you wonder to yourself, “Self – Is it me or them?”. Then hope it’s them because if it’s you then you’re in trouble. Well, not his art. His art has such depth and thought put into every piece you’re bound to discover something new each time you look at it. Aside from some nudity, which we embrace, his art is wonderful for children because it lends itself to their depth of imagination. Our boys 10 and 11 absolutely LOVED it!!

5. This one is my favorite – He was madly, head over heels in love with his wife, Gala. She can be found in a great deal of his paintings and she always looks so beautiful. She was his muse and the love of his life. And really, is there anything better than LOVE??

So there you have it. 5 fantastic reasons to run off and visit Dali. Or at least google him…

1  Thank LaurelsLovelyLiving
Reviewed July 20, 2013

There were many lovely examples of Dali's art. The tour is very informative, but it you don't like tours be sure to get the free headphones! The information given will help you understand what you are looking at better. Don't forget to leave a wish at the wish tree!

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

My trip to the Tampa bay area last week was great and when I found out we were only 25 minutes away from the museum I was very excited. Salvador Dali is my favorite artist but I was a little disappointed by the " museum". I was expecting a lot more. The artwork that was showcased was great and they offered the headphones to listen the history...but I don't feel like I get my $25 worth. I left very unsatisfied...I did enjoy the inside and outside,but not worth the admission fee.