“Not what it used to be”

The Oyster Bar ● Seafood ● Grill ● Tavern
Ranked #43 of 916 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd St. N and 3rd St. N.
Description: For over 8 years, we have served thousands of satisfied guests in St. Petersburg. We are a full service dining experience, with an emphasis on freshness, and clean flavors. As you may imagine, we go to extraordinary lengths to ensure that the supply line for our delicious Local and Boutique Oysters is always flowing. In most cases, the oyster you eat today was still swimming yesterday! Our prices are outstanding, our service is unmatched, our live entertainment 4 nights a week is the best, and we are environmentally friendly. And, we are a locally owned, family-run business.
Minnesota
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

As a St. Petersburg, FL resident I have enjoyed the Central Ave. Oyster Bar for many years. After my experience last night, I will not return. The service was TERRIBLE, and the food not much better than avarage. The live entertainment was also not great---- the homeless guy playing his guitar around the corner was a better singer.

The waitress did not introduce herself until her third trip to the table, I had to ask for water, and napkins. She messed up my order, brought my main course first and then 35 minutes later my salad course. My husband's order sat under the heat lamp until she brought it with my salad-- luke warm and over done.The mango sauce on the mahi was bland and the mahi itself was chewy and tough. My calamari was plentiful but not hot when it arrived at the table. We were charged incorrectly for the salad ( something that has happend several times there in the past), and the complimentary bread and oil never came to our table.
The restaurant was not crowded, and our waitress had only 3 tables to serve, so none of this can be blamed on an overworked wait staff.
I will not eat there again.

• Visited August 2012

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Just like being in NOLA”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Fresh, large oysters. Good service. Right downtown with plenty of parking at the front door and nearby. You can walk to all the music venue's. Reasonably priced.

Visited June 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Terrible Sunday Brunch, Peel and eat shrimp floating in tepid water,warm fruit, i egg benedict cold,poor excuse for an omelet, never saw anything replaced in buffet. Tried to talk to management for 2 days no one available, always at a meeting or person on phone didn't know if a manager would be on duty that day. All in all one of the worst dining experiences we have ever had.

• Visited July 2012
Tampa, Florida
“I was bored by below average...”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This pub/sports bar is on Central Avenue in St. Pete so it is exactly what you would expect, a bar with average food. They are trying to be better but they are failing because of lack of creativity and the downright laziness of their servers and staff.
Our server couldn't hear our orders. Maybe he is too tall and refused to lean in, however it wasn't that noisy in the restaurant as it was early and most tables were empty so he should have been able to hear every word. My husband and I ordered a dozen oysters each and he heard one so we only got one dozen to share. We had to wait a terribly long time to get the second order. Both were not very cold and some of the oysters were too small to be served at all. (one was the size and height of a dime). They were charging $12 dollars/dozen.
I asked some questions regarding the menu and it seems our server didn't like the way I worded the questions so he proceeded to give me a battery of inappropriate responses. It felt like work to order a meal.
My husband ordered a pasta dish with shrimp and crayfish which could have been wonderful but just tasted tired and over oiled. My salad with seared tuna was good in that it was cold and the tuna was prepared well enough but with no flavoring at all and I could tell it had been prepared way in advance.
Oh and that beautiful bottle of white wine Conundrum we ordered was delivered to the table, served in 25 cent wine glasses from the 70's and and then plunked down on the table with nothing to keep it cool for the entire meal. I hated the whole experience. If you are someone who wants carefully prepared food to tempt the palate, don't go the this place. If you want an okay place to watch a game and grab a sandwich before later parties begin...It will work okay.

• Visited July 2012
Plymouth, Michigan
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Fabulous atmosphere and staff. The oysters are perfect (a little pricey for Florida) but some of the best I have had.
Ladies must check out the restroom!

Visited July 2012