“Interesting but not great”

Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I would have probably been more disappointed in this hotel if it had been the only place I experienced on a vacation or something like that. As it was, I was working on a route inspection team for the Postal Service and spent four months staying all over that area of Florida in different hotels. I point this out only to explain that it was an interesting, but brief, diversion for me. I arrived there on a Sunday, and it was nice to explore nearby, having an appetizer and drinks a couple blocks away at a sidewalk eatery and bar and then seeing a movie at a theater that was practically right next door to the hotel.

Parking was $14 a night if I remember correctly. There is a small bar downstairs in the lobby, and the people I dealt with were all quite nice and friendly. The downside is that I was shocked by how small the rooms were since I had been staying in much larger rooms. There is no bathtub--or there wasn't in my room, at least--just a shower. There are no laundry facilities, which was not welcome news to me. I had to leave there and start work at a post office in Clearwater on Saturday, and I would have liked to do my laundry before leaving.

If you go here looking for a "boutique" and charming little place with a lot of St. Pete nightlife in close proximity, then you will not be disappointed. I enjoyed it as a short diversion, but would personally want more if I was staying there for any length of time. There was a small dresser in the closet that made it hard to hang up my clothes, but that's the only place to put one since the room was very small. One bonus, however, was a Starbucks just a couple blocks away. As long as you go with a clear understanding of what you're getting, you will be okay. It wouldn't be my first choice for a serious trip, but as a pleasant diversion for someone not spending too much time actually in the hotel it is pleasant and unique.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Derori
Nathan G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us here at Hotel Indigo, and for taking the time to complete a review on our property. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location as well as our staff. Thank you for letting us know about some of the inconveniences in your room. Being a historic hotel, we take these reviews to heart when trying to come up with way to better the guest experience with the space we have to offer. We hope you keep Hotel Indigo in mind next time you are in the area!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North

Reviewed May 23, 2014

The airport staff told me that they had an agreement with this hotel and they would give a special rate to their customers. We went there and ask if they had any rooms available and they said yes. I ask the lady at the front desk about the agreement and she did not know about it. I ask her if she could ask the manager. The manager had just come out so i ask him and he just said that they did in fact had an agreement with the hotel but they did not have any rooms available. I would understand that maybe because it was a Holliday they could not honor the prices but just be honest and say it. There was no need to treat people like that. Because of him the only time i would contemplate staying in one of their hotels it would be because it was the last hotel on earth.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank eligar80
Nathan G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not receive the service that Hotel Indigo prides itself on. If you would, please contact me further regarding this issue so that we may handle it appropriately. My email is ngarner@baystarhotels.com. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel has so many positives things going on with a big downside. The rooms lack cleanliness.

The room we had was a king suite. The room had leftover hairs in the bathroom and on the bed. This is completely unacceptable. There was dust on every blade of the fan and the light fixture in the bathroom had rust on it. There were also small things scuffed up and just not being maintained.

This hotel is in a excellent location where you can walk to most downtown areas. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a really nice porch area to hang out and enjoy drinks.

Management is failing this hotel by not maintaining it better. This hotel should be a downtown destination for travelers.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NCEA3994
Nathan G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property and for choosing Hotel Indigo during your recent stay here in St Petersburg. We are very sorry to hear that you stay with us was not up to your standards. We have addressed your issues with our housekeeping department so that the same instances do not occur again. If you would, please contact me directly at the hotel so that we could discuss these issues further. Thank you

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for the IndyCar race weekend. It was so convenient and we could walk to the track and anywhere in downtown St. Pete which was awesome! The staff were absolutely amazing! The hotel rooms were very nice, though the bathrooms were quite small but very functional. The main areas could use a little freshening up, but it had a great vibe and we had a great stay. We love Hotel Indigos and this one did not let us down. We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: The floors are split level, so if stairs are an issue specify that you want to be on the same level...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Patti E
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Booked with points via IHG.com. Arrived at the hotel mid afternoon, and room was ready.Check in was efficient if a bit stiff (new staff apparently). The hotel itself has a certain charm, given the age, very boutique. That also means small room, mind you, I had a corner unit with decent space. This is a 3 story building in the downtown area so don't expect a view.

The rooms was well appointed, very tropical motif, but has probably seen many coats of paints, and some of the renovation are a bit rough. Good king bed, LCD TV with good channel selection, free wifi (standard), but the bathroom is small, shower only (very clean though). My room had a view of the pool area from top floor.

The ameneties are dissappointing. The gym is small with older squeaky equipment. The pool was of good size, but not cleaned when I used it (lots of little bugs floating) and the jacuzzi was way too hot (as in public hazard hot). The on site restaurant was decently priced, had the egg white breakfast sandwich with a coffee for less than 10$. Location is excellent, walking distance to downtown St Pete and Tropicana stadium. They charge for parking (valet 14$).

Front desk staff were not very well versed in the area's offering which wasa bit dissapointing. Gold IHG gets a little bag with 2 bottles of waters and a bag of nut.

Overall, decent (especially if free), but I would not pay 200$ for this....space for improvement.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Lubiere
Nathan G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are very pleased that you liked our guestrooms, dining area, and location. At Hotel Indigo we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We will soon be going through a refresh of our guestrooms and public areas that will greatly increase the quality of our rooms so we can focus on providing the best service possible. Thank you again for your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

When I got to the hotel to check in, no one was at the front desk. After waiting for a couple of minutes, the clerk showed up and was on her phone texting. I had to ask twice for my b'fast voucher. When I called the front desk to order breakfast, there was no answer. The HD HBO feed was shoddy and every tenth word cut out. The hotel was on the second floor and was like sleeping on a loading dock. There was constant truck noise from 5am on. In the morning, the cook for breakfast did not show up. Finally, when the valet brought my car around, I discovered it had been parked under a tree and was covered in bird droppings. I will NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank KristinJLT

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, and for your recent stay at Hotel Indigo. I'm very sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. At Hotel Indigo, we strive to provide upscale service for every guest and it seems your stay was not reflective of the high standards we hold ourselves to. I will be getting with the appropriate department heads to ensure these issues do not arise again. We are also going to be going through a refresh of our guest rooms and public areas that will greatly increase the condition of our hotel. Once again thank you very much for your review and we hope you keep Hotel Indigo in mind next time you travel to St. Petersburg.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Came to St. Petersburg for a friend's wedding and stayed at the hotel for two nights. We thought we were getting a good deal with the wedding rate but we ended up very disappointed. For not a small amount of money, we got a small room with a parking lot view, the loudest bathroom fan of all time, and one of the oddest interior designs that we have ever seen. At one occasion we also did not have hot water. The only thing we couldn't complain about is the friendly staff.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William I

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our property and for you recent stay with Hotel Indigo. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff at our hotel and we take pride in the level of service we can provide to our guests. We have had some complaints on water pressure in the past and have recently installed a brand new hot water system as well as a pump that greatly increases the amount of pressure to the guest rooms. We are also getting ready for our hotels refresh which will improve the quality of our guestrooms and public areas. We hope that you keep Hotel Indigo in mind next time you travel to St. Petersburg.