“Interesting place”

Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Interesting place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

As for service and friendly staff it was wonderful. Happy and very very helpful with anything possible.

As for the hotel in general it was strange. The only nice part was the historical value. The colors were very bright lime green, rooms were small. Exposed piping for sprinkler systems and what ever else they were for. They smelled very musty and that smell never dissipated. There were also dirty glasses and coffee cups they had for you to use in the room. There is no fridge or anywhere to keep things cool. You could also hear EVERYTHING that was going on in neighboring rooms from the lack of sound barriers.

The bathrooms were incredibly small. I could touch all four walls with room to spare, I'm only 5'7". You could sit on the toilet, wash your hands, and partially be in the shower without a doubt. Water temp and pressure was sporadic at best while in the shower.

The pool and hot tub are outside with zero privacy. You could walk by on the sidewalk and look into it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nathan A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I don't mind the "regular' hotels but this was a nice and refreshing change. This hotel was built in 1926 and still retains much of the classic feel. They did a great job upgrading it to a really nice building. The carpet in the hallway helps lower the noise level. Almost everything you have read in the other reviews is true, the bathroom is smaller than normal (but it was plenty large for one person - the shower head is adjustable - great for somebody over 6'); it's a little difficult to roll your luggage to some of the rooms with mid-floor steps; the construction across the street is very noisy but you won't notice it unless you have street-side room; but most of all, the staff was EXCELLENT! I've never stayed at a hotel with such an attentive, friendly staff. It's easy to get in and out and it's just a few blocks from the interstate. I wish they didn't have the $14 / night parking fee but that's standard with the downtown St. Pete hotels. At least the valet service was very friendly also.
This would be my first choice for my next trip to St. Pete.

Room Tip: The construction across the street makes the street side rooms very noisy. The rooms in the middle...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ShannonMayBaystar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of our property. We appreciate your honesty and glowing review. We are pleased to have such a historic hotel and allow it's beauty and charm to invite visitors such as yourself to appreciate it. Thank you for the comments regarding staff and the valet, we appreciate the feedback.

Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Weeki Wachee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was my second stay here and found it to be as appealing as the first. Location could not be better for walking to best museums and restaurants. Also, Movie theatre right across the street which includes IMAX. Hotel is chic which is a trademark of Hotel Indigo's which is my style. Rooms clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful and personal calling me by name and having all check-in paperwork ready on my early arrival. I will be returning to this hotel in the future. Only inconvenient thing was broken USB port in room leaving no option for phone charging.

Room Tip: Building construction across the street so rooms along side or rear are best right now. Should be co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank brenc779
Dear bren c,

Thank you so much for the positive review about your recent stay with us! We appreciate your feedback, especially with regards to our staff, who are inspired to make sure your stay is enjoyable. At Hotel Indigo, we work diligently and appreciate your recognition. I apologize for your issues in the room regarding the USB port, and wish we had been able to correct when you were with us, but the issue has been resolved.

Thank you so much!

We look forward to serving you again soon.

Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I don't normally write reviews, but I felt compelled after reading some recent reviews of this property. We stayed here back in September and also plan to return around the holidays next month. The staff at this property are what makes this place work. I am a frequent traveler and of course appreciate the upscale brands. This hotel, but no means is perfect. I have stayed at all brands - and no place is perfect. The staff here makes the difference. They get to know you personally. One of the managers, Shannon, is one of the hardest-working people I think I have ever seen in a hotel. She is the epitome of an employee that goes the distance. She is there in the morning, evening, and it gives it a different "feel". By no means in a bad way. Yes, there are a few housekeeping issues, hair, etc. and other maintenance concerns that should be addressed. The upkeep of the hotel could be better with additional staff. The pool, was ok - it was not the cleanest, but it needs more trees and shrubs to make it look more like an oasis -- it was definitely not a resort feel pool. I would recommend to call the hotel ahead of time and make any special requests on rooms, etc. as many are different sizes, etc. We were put in a super small room, but after telling the manager we were unhappy, she moved us right away. They are so helpful, they usually accommodate your needs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jonie R
Port Charlotte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while out of town for a wedding that was on Pass-a-Grille beach. It was an easy drive across I-275 to the beaches. Don't overpay to stay on the beach when you can stay just a short drive away at this charming hotel! The hotel itself was very cute, not at all cookie cutter so if you are looking for a sterile chain hotel experience, look elsewhere. Everything was charming, the staff was courteous, the valet was prompt and friendly, the rooms were clean and I loved the bathroom! Excellent!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JORDAN G
Arkansas, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo 4 nights in October on a business trip. It was conveniently located to downtown St. Petersburg.
Starting with the positives, there is a nice bar in the lobby that seemed to do a good business (and offered a good happy hour). The hotel interior is cute; however both the carpet pattern and the wallpaper pattern were very busy. The room was nice, with comfortable bed. All staff were friendly and professional. Fresh cold water with sliced lemons in the lobby was a nice touch.
The negatives: there are stairs (2) in the carpeted hallway on the second floor that were tough to navigate with luggage. The bathroom was tiny, with very little space between the toilet, the sink and the shower. The sink was a stylish rectangular model, but when the water is turned on to a medium or higher flow, the flow ricochets water out and splashes your midsection. "Boutique", when describing a hotel, often translates to "impractical but cute", and this hotel is a prime example. The elevator has a hard "bump" when it reaches a floor, going up or down.
By far the worst issue is the extremely heavy florally perfume that seems to be pumped through the lobby ventilation system. It hits you when you come through the doors. It was like being in an enclosed space with someone that had doused themselves in perfume. Gave me a headache, and had the same affect on my co-worker, every time we walked through the lobby. I mentioned this to two staff and they both gave a very vague response, apologizing (one saying "I don't have a very sensitive nose", as if she couldn't smell it herself.) I know some people have allergies and scent sensitivity, and I'm not one of those people. However, I could not take more than about a minute or two in that environment.
An issue that is not the fault of the hotel, but should be noted, is the construction on the building across the street. And the construction start time was around 5:00 a.m.
Not a value for the money, especially with all the issues. I cannot recommend.

3 Thank Diver-Hiker
Dear Diver-Hiker,

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your recent review with us. We appreciate the feedback during your recent stay. We appreciate your comments regarding our staff and the amenities we offer here at Hotel Indigo. I was disappointed your stay had so many negatives, notably, the smell in the lobby, which is our brand scent that changes quarterly. I apologize if it was too strong and we can definitely turn it down for the future. I also wanted to mention we are continually working on the construction and with the City to ensure guests are not bothered outside normal operational hours in the hotel. We are a historic hotel with spa-inspired showers and boutique bathrooms, original to the period of the original hotel built in 1924.

I again apologize for any inconveniences, but appreciate your feedback to assist us in making our hotel better in every way for future guests. We hope to earn your business again in the future.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my second time to the Indigo. It's not a hotel for everyone, as it's a little funky and on the "artsy" side. But we really enjoyed our stay there.....Not to say there weren't a few hiccups. To begin with there is a huge construction project going on directly across the street. The very first night the crew came in and started working at 3:00 am, WTF!?!?!. I really could not blame the hotel for this and the super attentive staff ( most notably Victoria and Nathan) did there best to help. We were given a room towards the back and all was well from then on. The staff of the hotel is simply the best. Even the cleaning ladies were super friendly and made you feel like family. As some have said in earlier reviews the restaurant is a bit of a mess. Mainly because it's very under staffed. I was working until 5:00 every day which took me to the bar at promptly 5:15.....Every day the bar was not set up, ( even though technically it' opens at 5:00. So it took FOREVER to get a simple drink as the bartenders needed time to set things up and get organized. NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: let the staff come in at 4:00 to open at 5:00. To top it off the bartender had to run to the back to make the food. No cook? But all that said, I simply love this place. It's a great location and the staff is over the top fantastic. Love the decor, great TV, tons of cable channels, free wifi, comfy beds, great little pool and hot tub, awesome front porch......Again Victoria and Nathan, you're the best, The Indigo is lucky to have you.

1 Thank Jayb59