The Birchwood
$103
Hollander Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$120
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsrooftop barbirch vinerain showersidewalk cafebeach drivemeatloafsmall boutique hotelclaw foot tubbefore midnightdownstairs restaurantlovely boutiquebanyan treeson demandpatio furniturehotel guestsbeautiful parkin room coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here for one night in July while visiting family and we were very pleased with the lovely rooms, very friendly staff and amazing location. It's a cool, trendy place. The food was good, the bartenders were very nice and entertaining. It's definitely the type of place to stay if you want something a little different than a basic hotel. We checked in on a Monday, and since the hotel was not fully booked, they offered to cook us a fresh breakfast rather than setting out items ahead of time for their complimentary breakfast. It was a nice touch and they put in the extra effort, rather than going the easy route. We felt that they valued us and we plan to stay again in late November. The only thing I would have a negative comment about is that they charge for parking. It's not a cheap place to stay, so they should provide a better option for parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed last Saturday night in a king room with no view (which we knew going in). This is the old Grayl's Hotel which was gutted and completely renovated. It's beautiful. Cost approx. $260 including tax plus $18 per night for valet parking. Over night self parking isn't much of an option in this area. Their primary focus is the bar/restaurant and wildly popular roof top lounge. We stay in St. Pete on a Sat night 4-5 times a year. I wouldn't rule out returning but there are some things they could do that would really improve the stay for me. Put a safe in the room. Put bath robes in the bathroom. Do something about the lighting in the bathroom--I had trouble seeing to shave and it's really dark in the shower. Bathroom is very nice in décor though--free standing tub and separate shower. There are only 18 rooms on 2 floors. Please put an ice machine on one of the floors. The front desk will get ice for you but they do double duty and aren't always there and with a total renovation an accessible machine should have been placed. Put a mini-fridge in the room--there is plenty of space. A ceiling fan over the bed would be nice. None of these are complete deal breakers but they would make a nice property really, really nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Westshore
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Celebrated my birthday at Birchwood and it was amazing . The rooftop lounge is beautiful and you can see the pier and part of downtown . Parking is a problem in downtown st pete so I parked at the pier and walk to Birchwood . The servers were prompt and courteous . The restaurant had a small dining place and I would recommend making a reservation beforehand . The food was amazing and the prices were reasonable too. I would highly recommend this place for a fun nightout .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Was treated to a night at The Birchwood this weekend. We had noticed it under construction when staying in the area earlier this year and I was surprised it was all finished and opened. It is a beautiful property, the management and employees were all extremely friendly and bent over backwards to make our stay pleasant and memorable. The room was gorgeous, the bedding very comfortable and plush. The bathroom was also gorgeous and everything was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was "okay" - some parts were excellent (fresh OJ, good "home baked" style bread for toast, really good coffee and marmalade) and then some not so much (scrambled eggs that looked like they had sat in the chafing dish for hours yet also looked like no one had touched them before us, and no butter to be found). The Canopy lounge is outstanding, the appetizers and drinks we had were top-shelf, the service was excellent. Only negatives for us were that we could not get our own ice (had to ask the front desk to bring a bucket to the room) and although the room ambiance was wonderful, once we really needed a light to see to fix the in-room coffee pot, we discovered the lightening was awful, without the curtains open and daylight, the few lights in the room were more for decor than to provide real light to see by. Also wished for some comfortable seating, only one small chair in the room that was also designed more to look good than to use for seating. Otherwise, it is a beautiful place and worth the splurge, we would stay there again (just would bring a flashlight!)

Room Tip: If you stay in a room that backs up to the alley between the building and the restaurant next door (Moon Under Water) like we did, you will hear restaurant noises until they close.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Birchwood this past week and I must say that I am impressed. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome. The hotel and restaurant are just beautiful.

Upon arrival, check-in was friendly and efficient. Eddie at the front desk was very helpful and professional. Parking was across the street. You can unload in front of the hotel and park the car yourself, or the staff will take it for you.

The room was very large for an older hotel. The colors are very appealing and the room had a number of nice touches. The first thing that we noticed is the very elegant four poster bed. Not only was it of fine quality, but VERY comfortable. My partner wanted to take it home!

The flat screen tv is quite large for a hotel room and had a great picture. There was a complimentary water in the room, which is nice considering a lot of hotels charge for this - especially without status. The bathroom was very elegant with a rain shower, as well as a claw foot tub.

We had a late lunch in the restaurant. The menu is very diverse and I found it difficult to decide what I wanted as it all looked very interesting. We had a turkey burger and a Chinese Chicken Salad. The turkey burger has to be one of the absolute best that I have ever had. It had sweet potato fries, which were perfectly seasoned... The salad was also very nice and something that I would definitely order again.

We had drinks at the Canopy, the hotel's rooftop bar. The views of the bay are spectacular. The bar area is very similar to what one may find at South Beach. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. We could have stayed up here all day...

Breakfast is included with the room and was also very delicious.

We had a wonderful stay and will definitely be back. It is nice to have a hotel with such style only about two hours from home. It will make another nice getaway in the near future.

Room Tip: The rooms with the best view are on the front of the building and appear to be a little more expensive. We had room 209, which is at the back of the building with a more limited view. We really did not care since the room was spacious and we could go to the Canopy for the best view in the house...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple