“A Hidden Jewel- A Must Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Petersburg
Dickens House Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed March 8, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful three night stay at the Dickens House, St. Petersburg. A quiet oasis just minutes away from the ocean, Vinoy Park, tennis, swimming, greta waslking paths, restaurants and shopping.

The inn is beautifully restored to it's Arts and Crafts beginnings. The Cottage suite was spacious,perfectly and artistically appointed, immaculate...perfect in every way. Straight out of "Coastal Living".

Ed Caldwell ensures that his guests want for nothing, with exquisite accommodations and gourmet breakfasts. He is attentive and yet not intrusive. We couldn't resist his cookie jar filled with amazing chocolate chips delights each time we passed by the kitchen!

Although we were close to all the activity, we luxuriated in the quiet, cozy inn that is located in a wonderful neighborhood. The gorgeous beaches of Fort DeSoto (voted #1 beach in America in 2005) are a short and easy drive away and a must see.

We have traveled extensively and rarely come across a B&B that is so classy and accommodating in every way. We hated to leave and look forward to returning to a Floridian destination that is far from the maddening crowds that truly gives you a taste of historic Florida.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank J0Ann

Reviewed November 25, 2006

This is a top notch bed and breakfast with luxurious bedding, a whirlpool bath and great food. Ed, the host, will see to your every need. Reasonably priced, too.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank travellinglots
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 5, 2006

On my first trip to St. Petersburg, Florida I had the pleasure of staying at The Dickens House B&B. Ed Caldwell, the owner, proved to be a gracious and extremely helpful host as his attention to detail made our visit extra special. Our room fridge was always stocked with juice and water(included in the cost), the room was very comfortable and attended to with clean towels and sheets. The breakfast provided was always fresh and well prepared. But the part I enjoyed the most was the interaction with the other guests at the table which was encouraged by the atmosphere Ed so expertly creates. I highly recommend staying with Ed on your next visit to St. Pete's.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 27, 2006

The Dickens House is a warm inviting place to stay. The Inn Keeper is friendly and engaging. He is very informed about the St Pete area and helpful with suggestions on places to eat and visit. To us it was like a home away from home.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My husband and I just came home from a very relaxing Memorial Day weekend. He surprised me with reservations at the Dickens House in St. Pete. We live in Sarasota and needed a getaway - even if the getaway was 45 minutes North.

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The house looked exactly like it did online. Clean and perfectly decorated. Ed, the owner and innkeeper, is the perfect host. He welcomed us into his house with a very happy personality and showed us the ropes. Very cool key pad lock on the house. - what can I say, I am easily entertained. ;)

Our room was FABULOUS! The bed was high and so comfortable. The jet tub was very relaxing (twice!). The small fridge was very handy and it comes with a couple of apple sauces (spoons) and two Capri-suns! How fun is that? I don't normally treat myself to those items and it was sweet and refreshing. (again, easily entertained)

The first morning was beautiful. We woke up to the smell of fresh breakfast cooking and coffee brewing. Yes, every-single-morning he gets up and cooks breakfast for his guests. This morning we had, what I like to refer to as, "The most perfect quiche EVER" with sausage patties. And that was after the pealed halves of oranges and the homemade blueberry and banana pastry. Lovely juices were offered too. We had joined two other guests as they were finishing up and enjoyed conversation with them and occasionally Ed would join in.

This morning we ate fluffy round French toast with fresh fruit, cantaloupe, strawberries, kiwi, blueberry, pineapple and bananas. The maple syrup was REAL - no AngeMima in this house.

In the evening we sat outside under the fans on the porch and played chess. Mosquito spray was available and handy. Ed thinks of everything.

The house was full of guests and you would never know it. We didn't hear any of our neighbors coming or going.

To Do: Dickens House is located two blocks from the pier. St. Pete has a trolley called the Looper that costs $.25 - that's right - twenty-five cents. It takes you on a tour of the city if you want, or to your destination. Ed has a handy map he gives you the first day. Ceviche Tapas Bar & Restaurant (http://www.cevichetapas.com/) is just a few blocks away and AMAZING. The wait was well worth it. We even found a hip bar called The Independent that serves a ton of different beers. (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11554/?view=beerfly)

So, my review of the Dickens House is FOUR THUMBS UP! (my husband's thumbs too) Ed balances that home so well... it's hard to leave to explore St. Pete (and go home!). I am looking forward to seeing Ed again. Our plans are to rent the entire house with some friends. Can't wait!

3  Thank christinealexander
Reviewed March 5, 2006

We stayed at the Dickens House back in 2000. It was a great experience then and was amazing the second time around. My stay at The Dickens House began my love affair with B&Bs. I have stayed in many B&Bs since then but this one has yet to be topped. Ed, the owner, is the most accomodating and gracious host. Every detail is thought of in this inn. We only had a slight problem with check-in due to a date mix up but it was quickly fixed. Had a wonderful stay. Plan on staying at the Dickens when I return to St. Pete.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2006

We stayed at this B&B only 2 nights and it was too short! The owner was fantastic and very friendly. A wealth of information about the area and its history. The home was warm and inviting with its early craftsman styling -- Beautifully restored. Our room was large and fantastically clean and comfortable. I loved the canopy bed. The bath was fantastic with its Jacuzzi and large shower plus it had 2 sinks to accommodate both our needs at one time. The breakfasts were unbelievably delicious!! The egg breakfast we had one morning was an adaptation from a famous artist's cookbook and was out of this world. I must say, I have stayed in many hotels large and small, since my business used to be working with and rating them, and this was one of the cleanest, most welcoming and homestyle atmospheres I have been in. Just want to thank Ed for his hospitality! If in that area again, we will definitely stay there.

2  Thank scsgaras