“A real find!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Petersburg
Dickens House Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed April 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here in March and would highly recommend it. It is an historic house which has been beautifully restored and decorated (in an Craftsman/Stickley style) by Ed Caldwell, the owner. The house is in an historic district full of lovely and interesting old homes (great to walk around in) and is within walking distance of the harbor and lots of restaurants. We stayed in the Orange Blossom room; it’s the smallest room in the house but was lovely and cozy and suited our needs since we were just there at the beginning and end of our trip (close to the Tampa airport). If we go back for a longer stay, we will upgrade to a larger room—that is the only thing I would change. Ed was very friendly, the breakfasts were great (plus homemade cookies and wine in the evenings) and the other guests were fun to talk to. I looked at a lot of places on-line before our trip and we ended up driving or walking by some of them when we were there, and I definitely made the right call by choosing Dickens House.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 14, 2010

We headed down to St. Petes for r&r. The Dickens House was perfect! We stayed in the cracker suite which suited us to a tttttttt! The room for the kid was in a separate room connected to the main bedroom... and there was a private bath. The breakfasts were prepared as if a chef was preparing them! The tempura fried egg was a brilliant dish and the maple walnut french toast was WONDERFUL, YUM! Ed was a fabulous and gracious host, and the food was plentiful! I was so happy that Ed had this wonderful Magnolia green tea from china, because I had recently quit coffee and the teas was a perfect substitute! (and Ed sent some home in the container so I could find it here!) There were chocolate chip cookies in the jar all the time (my weakness!) and candies all over the house! The living room was classic cozy and filled with wonderful antiques, games, cards, movies, magazines, books, perfect for a night in with the family! Full use of a computer, internet, printer. We also loved the front porch; where we had great conversation with Ed and other guests. There is also quaint back patio. We will be back Ed!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a business trip. Our original plan was to stay at a standard hotel in Tampa but, wanting a more personal experience, we found this place online at the last minute and booked it. We loved our stay. The Dicken's House is nestled in the historical district of St. Petersburg and a just quick walk to the ocean. Ed, the owner and our host, was very hospitable and shared a lot of inside knowledge about the town. Long visits on the porch about the history of St. Pete, recommendations of where to eat, lovely beaches to visit, made our 'business trip' in St. Pete very special and more like a leisure trip. His breakfasts are delicious. This was the perfect place to stay. You just don't get an experience like this in a standard old hotel. We will definitely return the next time we're in Florida.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2010

We really enjoyed Dickens House. Ed was a great innkeeper, and does a great breakfast. The Inn is a few minute walk from the waterfront in St. Petersburg, and close to all the shops and restaurants. We felt very comfortable coming and going, and Ed was a great guide to places to see and eat. We are definitely coming back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Previous reviews are accurate. Gracious host, good location, terrific breakfasts. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I chose to stay here instead of at the more impersonal business hotel down the street. As a result, my time in St. Petersburg felt more like a vacation than a business trip. This place is incredibly charming. The main house is beautifully restored - the pictures don't begin to do it justice. (They're good pictures, but the place is just so much nicer.) The yard is stunning and so peaceful. The inn itself is just outside of a very busy area, very quiet, in a real neighborhood, but steps from lots of action and just a few blocks from the water.

For part of my stay, there was a group of people who all knew each other. They were so kind and naturally invited me into the group. For another part of my stay, I was the only guest. I felt so pampered.

Our host is charming, informed, kind, lovely, and talented. He makes outstanding breakfasts. When I was the only guest, he even made a special breakfast that's hard for him to do when there are lots of guests.

My travels don't often take me to St. Pete, but if I ever return, I won't even think about staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We visit the Dicken's House once or twice a year. Living in Tampa, it makes a great get-away weekend, and we can be there in less than an hour.

We went this past weekend with another couple to introduce them to the Dickens House and Ed Caldwell. I have been telling our friends that Ed puts "Breakfast" back into "Bed & Breakfast" as he serves up gourmet 2 or 3 course breakfasts every morning. The huge round breaksfast table encourages all the guests to be involved in the morning conversation.

You're in walking distance to the Fine Arts museum, or catch a trolley car to the pier, and plenty of fine restaurants!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends