“Mindful Activities”

Great Explorations Children's Museum
Ranked #23 of 129 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Explorations Children’s Museum has served the children and families of the Tampa Bay area since 1987. Designed for children 10 and under, the 23,000 square foot museum is filled with exhibits and activities to stimulate learning through creativity, play and exploration. The museum also offers a national award winning preschool, camps and afterschool programming, field trips and community outreach programs.
St. Petersburg
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Mindful Activities”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I liked to take my children to this place. It's open and free to roam and explore. My teen seemed to enjoy going upstairs while my younger boy enjoyed the hands on items below with science.

Great place for the family - a little pricey, so be sure to take advantage of any discount coupons you may find.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank LatoyaBrown

Austin, Tx
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“AWESOME for kids!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My 8 and 4 year olds LOVED the museum. Hands on, not too crowded, and things that we don't see in other science museums. Definitely worth the trip for the afternoon, especially if it's raining at the beach.

1 Thank MeInAustin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Day of Hands on Fun for the Whole Family”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great indoor activity for a chilly, rainy day or anytime for that matter.
Lots of hands on imagination play activities to keep the kids, adults too, busy for hours. Lots of different activities for all age groups.
Took our Grandkids, couldn't get them to leave, they were having so much fun.
There's a Tree House with slides & climbing areas, Imaginary Pizza Shop, Fully loaded Market Place with Bakery, Pet Vet Station, Giant Building Blocks, to mention a few. It's a little pricey, if you are a large family. If you do not have a Membership, look for discount coupons & specials online or in Area Attraction Booklets. We found 2 for 1 coupons in a Local Area Magazine.
There is also another Attraction, The Sunken Gardens, adjacent to it, for an additional admission price. We didn't have the time to go there, but heard that it was worth a returning visit to go to with the kids.
Great Explorations was a good choice & a fun day. Glad we decided to check it out.

Visited January 2014
Tampa, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Touch Museum South”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I find it hard not to compare this place to the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia, given they are the same idea and that's where we really moved from.

Great Explorations has a lot of nice stuff. My son particularly liked the big fire truck and the fireman jacket and hat. My oldest loved the hurricane machine, but that's an extra charge ($2) My littlest liked the sand pit (which appears to be full of kitty litter). My favorite part was the fish sounds exhibit.

If I have one complaint about the place is it's a bit on the small side. Unlike the PTM, you can pretty much see the whole place and do everything in about 20 minutes. One thing that's good about that is it's hard to lose your child there. At PTM I was always very cognizant of where the three of them were and was pulling my hair out trying to keep all three at the same exhibit. At GE you can just man the door and let them go where ever they want.

The staff was really nice and seemed to care about their jobs. Exhibits were for the most part clean and in working order.

It seems like a good place to have a kids party; the smaller size being an advantage for that. Per the website there are several options for a party, including renting out the whole museum for 2 hours!

1 Thank GerryFleck
Stamford, Connecticut
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nothing special”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

A good enough place to go to get out of the heat or rain, but I've been to way better! The toddler area is too small and doesn't have enough activities. Older children (about 7+) get get bored too quickly. Because it is so open it gets noisy and chaotic. Not enough staff manned at stations and honestly they could maximize their space better. There is one lady at the front desk who shouldn't work anywhere. She gave me lots of wrong information and then lied about the reciprocity program. Next time I'd rather drive to Glazer.