“Kid Fantastic”

Great Explorations Children's Museum
Ranked #22 of 130 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Explorations Children’s Museum has served the children and families of the Tampa Bay area since 1987. Designed for children 10 and under, the 23,000 square foot museum is filled with exhibits and activities to stimulate learning through creativity, play and exploration. The museum also offers a national award winning preschool, camps and afterschool programming, field trips and community outreach programs.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I love this place. My kids really enjoy all the hands on fun here and the educational programs they have to offer. I can honestly say they learn something every time theyre there...

3  Thank Metrobabe
There are newer reviews for Great Explorations Children's Museum

Reviewed July 25, 2012

There were lots of areas for children to play and learn. I loved some of the concepts and things which I have not seen at other children's museums. Lots of areas for all different interests.

My main issue with this museum, is that unlike every other children's museum, or even Chuck E. Cheese, there was no one checking at the door to make sure that you were leaving with your own child. At one point 90 children came in as campers with maybe 1 counselor per 8-10 children. It was chaos for awhile. This would have been a very easy time for a child abductor to come in and take a child. I do not usually look for these things, but I have been to enough children's venues to understand why the security is necessary, but wonder why this place is so lax.

2  Thank altr2004
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I saw a few bad reviews so I was reluctant to go but my kids(AGE 7 &5) really liked it. The Glazer museum in Tampa is nicer but not driving to Tampa and avoiding the traffic and paying to park made this a pretty decent alternative.

Not an all day event but kills a few hours in the middle of the day.

2  Thank Family_Guy_407
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This museum had some very fun activities for my kids. I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old, and neither wanted to leave. The role playing stations were a hit with my kids. They were so realistic.

The two complaints I have are:

1) total lack of professionalism of staff/volunteers. The dress code was terrible. One worker wore a shirt that showed at least 4 inches of her stomach and skin tight, low rise jeans. The employeees also spent too much time talking together. We watched one worker flirt with another worker for much too long. While she talked to him, she stood in front of the activity my kids were trying to get to. We saw her later with different people doing the same thing. I don't need the employees to be overly helpful, but expect them to stay out of the way as my kids are doing something.

2) Multiple machines are not working- and some of them were ones the kids would have really flocked to. They need to make sure that their technology activities are all working and turned on when the museum opens.- Poor management!

My tip is: Use the visitors' station by the bathrooms before getting your tickets. We found coupons for 2.00 off admission in the booklets.

2  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Great Ex is getting better and better. The new Great Beginnings area for young kids is fabulous. My grandson played for hours and didn't want to leave. There's a fake beach that kids can play in - without the heat and sticky sand! This place is absolutely fantastic! If you haven't been to this museum in awhile, you're missing something.

4  Thank 7226sw