“Don't Let Its Looks Deceive You - The Food is Very Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish
Ranked #18 of 869 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hurst, Texas
“Don't Let Its Looks Deceive You - The Food is Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've been coming to St. Pete regularly on business over the past year and every time I've driven past the place on Pasadena Ave I've wondered about their food. After all a place that serves primarily smoked fish is not the norm for those of us who do not live near the ocean or a large body of water. But then again there were always plenty people dining at various hours of the day, which certainly appealed to the foodie in me, and to my adventurous palate.
This trip I made certain I didn't drive past it in the wrong lane or was left wondering if the food was really that good. So this timeI stopped in about 11:45 AM for lunch, and there weren't many tables left so I knew I was in for a treat. My waitress assisted this Ted Peters newbie with the menu and I tried the smoked mackerel lunch plate, which I must admit it was a delightful experience. The food was very good, the waitresses were helpful and understanding (not impatient with some tourist she might never see again) and the overall experience was truly unique. I'm looking forward to trying the fish spread on my next trip especially since there were so many around me who were continuously commenting about how good it was. Rest assured I will be back again on my next trip.

• 3 of 5 stars

“The aroma called us!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We found ourselves sitting in traffic at approx. 11:45am today and could smell the aroma of smoked food. My sister and I said" we're pulling in where ever that smell is coming from". Great little find, took the last 2 seats at the outside bar and the tables around us filled up quickly. By the time we left, cars were waiting for parking spots and people waiting for tables. Started with the fish spread which we ended up taking half home in a doggie bag. Next we had lunch portion of mahi-mahi and mackerel. Again half went home with us and made a great appetizer for the guys after golfing. I was offered a sample of the manhattan (red) clam chowder which was surprising good....just too much food to order. Service was interesting....If I was in town for longer than a week I'd be back for the tasty smoked fish! It might be helpful to know they take cash only. Our bill was about $44 pre tip. I also got a great looking t-shirt for approx. $12.

• 3 of 5 stars
Dunedin, Florida
“Too much noise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The restaurant was full of guests and we could hardly hear ourselves. The food was good but not outstanding. It is best to arrive early to avoid the business rush.

1 Thank snodgress_betty
Chicago, Illinois
“Unbelievable Smoked Fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We found this gem as a fluke driving by at ~11am, I could smell the smoking process from the road and knew it was a place I wanted to go - we decided to head there for a late lunch. This place is fantastic - we sat outside in the wonderful FL weather at long pinic tables and ordered smoked fish spread pretty much all around - one member of the group ordered the lunch portion of the smoked salmon. We also ordered german potato salad for the table. Everyone LOVED their meal - I could NOT get over the amazing smoked flavor (it's heavy) that the meaty fish spread provided. The salmon was a lot less heavy of a smoked flavor but still to die for; lunch portion was about 8 oz of gorgeous meaty salmon. Clearly, this is a "famous smoked fish" place, so if you go, don't get something outside of the smoked fish options. My recommendation, order a large water, the smoked fish spread (~$7) on toasted bread with tomato - wash it down with a pint of beer (~$2) and enjoy! Definitely worth seeking out, we went at 2pm and this place was still packed so plan accordingly. If you are in the area, definitely make this a place to eat while in FL!

Visited November 2012
Galway, Ireland
“beautiful smoked fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you like smoked fish this is the place for you.My 18 year old son wanted to try Ted Peters as he saw it on t.v. here in Europe.I must say the fish is excellent.I had Mahi-Mahi with the potatoe salad which is covered in fried bacon, grease and all.I could get addicted to that stuff.We sat outside even though the traffic is very busy passing by.Everyone was very friendly and the whole experience was very pleasant.I would definitely recommend this place