“Clean room and comfortable bed, but....”

Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. That is where the good part ended for us. My husband is totally disabled, so we were in need of an ADA room with a roll-in shower. This hotel happens to have three of these rooms. We were shocked to find out that there is one ADA room on each floor. Our room was on the third floor, all the way at the end of the hall! Now my question is, who is the engineer who designed a hotel with handicap rooms on any floor but the first floor? If someone is disabled enough to require one of these rooms, then they are legitimately disabled, and they even struggle to get into a room that is conveniently located. Well, we began our trek. We struggled to get on the elevator, then I had to push my husband in his wheelchair to the end of the hall, and then we struggled to get into the room because the room key did not work until it was inserted about a half a dozen times or more. Once my husband was finally in the room, I had to make repeated trips from the car to the room with our luggage and belongings--back down the hall, down the elevator, out to the car, back into the building, onto the elevator, up to the third floor, down the hall, etc. In addition to the problem with the location of the room, there was a parking issue. If there are three handicap rooms in the hotel, I am curious why there are only two handicap parking spots. And guess who did not get one of those handicap parking spots? We had to park on the other side of the lot in a regular parking spot. For anyone who is legitimately handicapped and in a wheelchair, the width of the parking spot is crucial, even more crucial than the distance of the parking spot to the door of the hotel. Since we had to park in a regular parking spot, it was a struggle to get the wheelchair in between our car and the one next to us, and another struggle to get my husband into the wheelchair due to the lack of space. Incidentally, the parking lot of this hotel is very awkwardly designed anyway, regardless of the lack of handicap parking. It was probably designed by the same engineer who put ADA rooms on the second and third floor. In addition to poor room location, and parking issues, there were front desk issues. From the get go, we were not impressed with the front desk. I would not describe them as rude, just short and abrupt. We had an event to attend, and got back to the hotel extremely late. I asked the gentleman at the front desk if we could possibly check out at 12:00 instead of the usual check out time of 11:00. We have never done this before at a hotel, but because of the time we were getting to bed, and the length of time it takes me to get my husband out of bed, into and out of the shower, and dressed in the morning, I knew it would really help if we could get an extra hour. The front desk clerk, in his short, abrupt manner, told me we could have an extra half hour and that was it. We have crossed this hotel off our list for any future trips to St. Pete.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank divingkatie
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

I am glad to hear that we were able to get you folks into an ADA Approved Room and that your room was CLEAN AND COMFORTABLE. I am sorry however that you were unsatisfied that the only ADA Room left was on the 3rd floor because the first and second floor ADA Rooms were already occupied by disabled guests. Regarding the checkout time extension, this is quite a surprise to me and I apologize that you were not given the full hour as it is common practice at our hotel to honor such a request. Thank you for your review as your comments will help us to increase guest satisfaction.

Regards -

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel staff was great, i have never experienced service like this before, Jeremy went above and beyond for us when we checked in, the housekeeping staff and breafast host were so friendly and alwalys asking if everything was ok, and if they could help please let them know. the rooms where clean and comfortable. The breakfast was a great, we loved our stay and will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Texas Tony -

We truly pride ourselves in our service and thank you so much for noticing that and for placing this nice review. We hope you always choose to stay with a Choice Hotel but especially with us whenever you are in the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area. Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway is the #1 Comfort Inn in our region and we strive to always exceed guest expectations. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return.

Sincerely -

Jeremy S. Robinson

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This property really is a cut above most in this price range. The desk staff was very, very nice and helpful. The room was clean, plenty of towels, clean restroom, too. I had made a mistake in a reservation and the general manager (Jeremy) really went out of his way to clear up MY mistake. Great stay and facility. Breakfast was included in the rate and the food was hot and fresh. Fruits and cereals, too. It's very well located. Very close to the Gandy Bridge and I-275 Bridge so getting to and from Tampa is very easy. Highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hi Michael -

It was nice meeting you last week and I'm glad we were able to square things away at the desk before you checked out. I see that you are an avid TripAdvisor reviewer and I appreciate that y ou have taken the time to share your experience at our hotel. BEYOND THE CALL! Thank you for that - we pride ourselves in our customer service and definitely try to go that extra mile. I'm also glad that you mentioned that our breakfast was HOT and good and that we are well located. The City of St. Petersburg actually markets the Gateway area as "where you want to be in 30 minutes or less!" Thank you for stopping at our hotel and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards -

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Have been at this facility more than once & referred relatives as well (my daughter Rifka Moyal). We have always found the staff friendly & responsive to our needs,
In one incident, there was no hot water because of a boiler malfunction. We were told of the inconvenience immediately as well as compensated for the day itg was "down". However, it was the way staff provided information that really made the difference,

Room Tip: Try to get a suite on the main floor - it's very convenient to everything.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for recommending our hotel and for taking the time to tell the TripAdvisor World that we are "Convenient to Everything" and that our "Staff Really Cares!" I truly proud myself in our staff and am really proud of the work that they do. I have already posted this on our door for all staff to see! Regarding the boiler, that was an unforeseen event and of course happened over the weekend when we were sold out but we tried to keep everyone informed and we rectified the issue immediately as you are aware. We hope you continue to choose our hotel and please LIKE us at Facebook.com/ComfortInnStpete.

Kindest Regards -

Jeremy S. Robinson

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed two nights here and was impressed with the cleanliness of the room. We had a nice refrigerator, microwave and the breakfast was very good, too. Nice location, easy to travel to/from while in the area. Staff was friendly, too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Man it really feels great to continue to get such stellar reviews! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell the world about your stay here at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway! I'm glad you noticed how friendly our staff was and that we have a clean hotel. Fun Fact, this hotel is ranked in the top 30 in the NATION for CLEANLINESS!!! Thank you again for your feedback and of course for your patronage. Please come back to stay with us on your next visit to St. Pete.

Warm Regards -

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We made our reservation sight unseen with some reservations. However, we were delighted to find that we had made a wonderful choice. Our room was large with comfortable furnishings and spotlessly clean. The only downside to this was that the bathroom fan turns on along with the light so that you cannot avoid the noise of it which we found to be very loud. But the pleasant and very accommodating attitude of every staff member we encountered made up for this small annoyance. I should also mention that the complimentary breakfast included more food items than you would expect.

This Comfort Inn is several miles from the downtown area of St. Pete but well worth having to make the drive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Hi Ms. Farinella -

I'm glad you found our hotel to be a "Great Place to Stay" and thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your experience here at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway. Yes our breakfast selection is bountiful and I believe I found your husband in there a few days and we had a nice chat as well. Great reviews like this really make my day and helps to reinforce and prove that what we are doing is working and is best for everyone. I already have your review posted on the door for all staff to see. Thanks again for your review and please keep us in mind for future trips to St. Petersburg.

Sincerely -

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice and clean hotel. I stopped in at 2a.m. after a long drive from GA and the front desk staff was amazing he understood that l was tired and speeded up the process. The rooms were nice and clean, location was great, and the breakfast was awesome.

• Stayed: September 2013
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed our "Nice and Clean Hotel!" Our staff works very hard to deliver top notch customer service and it brings me joy to hear that they are doing "Amazing." Also, we just hired a new breakfast attendant "Lupe" and it is wonderful to hear the positive feedback about breakfast. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your experience and I will be sure to share this with my staff!

Please keep us in mind for future trips and like us at Facebook.com/ComfortInnStpete

Thanks again -